Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 8,876,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
How were they supposed to know so many people wouldn't want them?

I had been under the impression that vaccines = covid problem over. Kind of like Polio or Measles. So yeah, you produce enough vaccines for every American. I had no idea that such a high percentage of the population thinks that both covid and the vaccines are some kind of hoax.
they can try to give them away next month. There has always been an undercurrent of people who claimed they wouldn't get vaccinated, they ordered way more than what's needed here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 06:43 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,174,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
they can try to give them away next month. There has always been an undercurrent of people who claimed they wouldn't get vaccinated, they ordered way more than what's needed here in the US.
Vaccines are how we get to herd immunity without having to tolerate 2% of cases turn into deaths. I'm sick of the restrictions. It's time for us to declare this done and over. "Warp Speed" was about the vaccines. I can't believe people don't want it and would rather take their chances getting covid. Chances of death from covid with the vaccine are about 1 a million, without are about 1 in 5000. WTF is wrong with people? We are well and truly screwed. If it were up to me we'd mandate it. You either get vaccinated or you don't get to go to restaurants, concerts, on a plane, college, school etc... anything with groups. Then we can have our lives and our businesses back.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,480,499 times
There are too many restaurants with too much staff. Many California restaurants switched to a cafeteria model before the pandemic because waitstaff couldn't afford to live close enough to the restaurants. Carrying food from kitchens to tables is a very nonessential service. Preparing food is more essential, since apparently so many people don't know to use a stove.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:09 AM

12,313 posts, read 8,043,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
There are too many restaurants with too much staff. Many California restaurants switched to a cafeteria model before the pandemic because waitstaff couldn't afford to live close enough to the restaurants. Carrying food from kitchens to tables is a very nonessential service. Preparing food is more essential, since apparently so many people don't know to use a stove.
I would say that much of the restaurant industry, especially the part with servers are more part of the entertainment industry than the sustenance industry. With folks on ever longer commutes and work schedules delivering hot meals to them from a nearby location does make more sense than taking from their more profitable time to stop and prepare their own food.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:50 AM

37,487 posts, read 45,759,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Too MUCH staff? Totally the opposite here. Restaurants can’t find people willing to work. It’s crazy. There are TONS of jobs out there but people want to stay home.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:17 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,269,252 times
The same is occurring where I live. Every restaurant you go to is hiring staff and management. If you wanted a job, you would have no issue finding one. The federal unemployment is causing people to just sit at home and do their own thing. So much is dependent on when and how the federal unemployment will be reconfigured.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 PM

10,498 posts, read 6,969,919 times
Childcare right now is a huge problem, chiefly because the schools have all gone to distance learning for the time being. You can't exactly cobble together childcare on the money you earn working at an entry-level job during the day.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,159,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Too MUCH staff? Totally the opposite here. Restaurants can’t find people willing to work. It’s crazy. There are TONS of jobs out there but people want to stay home.
There are so many people making money on Youtube, Switch and Instgram, etc. that many young people think it's a legitimate pursuit. If I was 20-something and got laid off my job last year I can see myself trying something like that before I gave up and returned to the grease pit.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,174,355 times
The unemployment rate is only 6%. At this point, the people who are still unemployed are because their industry is still severely restricted from normal operations. Everything entertainment related is still essentially closed down.

Also I heard an interview with some restaurant workers, and one guy commented that he wanted to be in a workplace with people. I bet this is more people than you think. He didn't work restaurants to be what he called "a drive-in worker." To him it was like a demotion. With indoor dining so restricted it changes the vibe of restaurants significantly. Not as many tips, etc... This guy only wanted to go back when restaurants were fully open.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-04-2021 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 08:39 PM

6,651 posts, read 5,872,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
There are so many people making money on Youtube, Switch and Instgram, etc. that many young people think it's a legitimate pursuit. If I was 20-something and got laid off my job last year I can see myself trying something like that before I gave up and returned to the grease pit.
(You mean Twitch?)

Very few people make money from social media. If you have a popular channel with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, plus a Patreon/SubscribeStar and some merch (hats, t-shirts, cups, books) you might make some money but probably not enough to afford to live in SF or LA.

I think most people right now are just putting off working as long as the extended unemployment checks are coming in anddeferred rent in effect. A few months after that stops, maybe around November or December, they'll start job hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics