Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times

Advertisements

In January, we decided it was time to build. The price of a new house pretty much knocked us over. Of course Lumber and Building Materials was a big part of it. So, we decided maybe let's just buy another exiting home instead. Only to find out those prices were out of site as well. I did some research locally and saw where some houses were going for $100,000 more than just the year before. Other houses actually doubled in price within the last few years.

My question is, how is everyone paying for these ridiculous prices? With the pandemic out there, many were out of work and struggling. Sure we got some stimulus money, but that won't even put much of a dent in it. I know the interest rates are super low, but are banks letting people over extend themselves again?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
How many are move up buyers? We were move up buyers two years ago. Of course then you still have the entry level homes. So the question is who is buying the entry level homes and how are they affording them?

I think family assistance is becoming a lot more common now too. Especially in the expensive areas where Mom and Dad who bought their house 20+ years ago have 96 gazillion dollars in equity.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
In January, we decided it was time to build. The price of a new house pretty much knocked us over. Of course Lumber and Building Materials was a big part of it. So, we decided maybe let's just buy another exiting home instead. Only to find out those prices were out of site as well. I did some research locally and saw where some houses were going for $100,000 more than just the year before. Other houses actually doubled in price within the last few years.

My question is, how is everyone paying for these ridiculous prices? With the pandemic out there, many were out of work and struggling. Sure we got some stimulus money, but that won't even put much of a dent in it. I know the interest rates are super low, but are banks letting people over extend themselves again?

Comments?
People are selling their old home for way more, and using that to buy a new one.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:03 AM

199 posts, read 204,626 times
Mortgage forbearance and eviction moratoriums and the need for single family have further limited supply of homes...so economics 101 right? Supply/demand up until a certain price point and that varies based on location.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:21 AM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
People are selling their old home for way more, and using that to buy a new one.
If every would-be buyer were also a seller, then demand shouldn't be exceeding supply. It seems like people who don't own houses now must be trying to buy them, or else people who do own houses are keeping them and trying to buy additional houses as second homes or investment/rental properties.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Also investment portfolios are way up for those with substantial skin in that game.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 AM

471 posts, read 404,171 times
It's simple. This is the release of pent up demand combined with a temporary reduction in supply, due to COVID-19. It is not a bubble, but the surge is driving up material costs. When materials demand moderates, so will prices.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have an existing home. Sure we can get more for it but to move up, like we are trying to do, still costs more than it used to. Houses are going for way more than they should be. Now if you are downsizing, that's a different story and now is the time to act on it, but for the most part, people are trying to move up. But other than help from family members as Bill has mentioned, where is the money coming from?

So far no one has addressed the banks. Are they letting people over extend themselves again?

Old 04-28-2021, 07:33 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
I've heard stories of houses not appraising for enough, and borrowers wiping out their savings in order to make up the difference. So the banks are paying attention, I'm just not sure how much, or if these were just a few cases.

One house I know of sold for $125k more than it was bought for 9 months ago....

Old 04-28-2021, 07:38 AM

My other thought is panic buying. Something that I never "bought" into. Wondering how much of panic is driving up prices?

By the way, I sure feel for first time buyers. They are the ones really hurting. And in the meantime, their rents are going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics