Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 10:03 PM

608 posts, read 239,433 times

Advertisements

I know someone who just days ago quit her job at McDs that she had for like 2 weeks and she's getting unemployment plus backdated unemployment.

Why would someone go to work if all they have to do is say, in effect, "an attempt was made" on a cellphone web page form and get as much, if not more, money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 04:00 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
I like how a lot of people here think the proper motivation for a worker to work hard is to threaten them with starvation and homelessness.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:56 PM

261 posts, read 189,468 times
Most employers who demonstrate this attitude towards workers are though of as Slave Drivers (or Bully's) They think they are smart because so often they get by with it. But that's only as long as they have weak minded/spirited employees who put up with it and fear trying to leave to better themselves.
Such employees are not being responsible to themselves & family.

Mainly a lot of employees will leave and go to work with a competitor to help drive the former employer out of business. Or at least make them suffer.

Employers who would sanction workers in this way (starvation & homelessness) are basically Jerks.

There are many Books out there that people should be reading in this time of Covid before returning to work. Here are some:

How to work for a Jerk

https://www.amazon.com/How-Work-Jerk.../dp/0394747771

21 Books your Boss doesn't want you to read

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/10-boo...t-you-to-read/

Old 05-26-2021, 07:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Interesting story I heard about today- it appears that despite the pandemic, the issuance of new business licenses is up in many states, including a 57% increase in licenses in Georgia, and middle to upper middle class black areas saw some of the biggest increase in business start ups-

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-ed...-the-pandemic/

One theory is that a lot of people actually used their bonus unemployment benefits as a way to jump start their own business dreams

Old 05-26-2021, 08:52 PM

87 posts, read 43,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I think it's the same kind of universal complaints you hear from the older generation about the younger one, EVERY time.

In 20 more years, the Millennials are all going to be 45-65, and I GUARANTEE they will talk about how when they were young in the 00s-early 20s, they worked harder than this lazy 2030s-40s generation coming up.

As a millennial, I don't understand Gen Z and their dancing TikToks, and it angers the blood.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePunch2017 View Post
As a millennial, I don't understand Gen Z and their dancing TikToks, and it angers the blood.
As a millennial, I also don't understand TikToks. Vines, on the other hand...

Old 05-26-2021, 09:12 PM

The tight labor markets will work themselves out. The Biden Admin is continuing the Trump policy of intentionally overheating the markets in order to create labor crunches, monetary and fiscal policy firing on all cylinders. GOP figured out the fiscal policy aspect when Cheney spilled the beans , they just prefer their trillion dollar deficits to be spent on different things than their counterparts.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
As a millennial, I also don't understand TikToks. Vines, on the other hand...
A much simpler time....

Old 05-26-2021, 09:26 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I understand but I have never had this issue before. I mean, I AM talking about spending thousands of dollars with most of them.

I just hope things get back to normal soon. This is really irritating. I CAN'T do this stuff myself. I have to hire it out to get it done. I'm fine with that and I have the money and really will pay whatever they think they need to charge. WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE????????
On paper, people who are looking to retrain to other fields or young people entering the labor force should see these opportunities for high wages and good business prospects, and enter those fields.

That's a classical model. In reality, I don't think it'll happen - here's why. Schoolchildren have, for at least a generation (I'm 35 now) have been told to "go to college" and there has been an implication that "working with one's hands" in a trade or similar is just not as prestigious.

My dad has been a mechanic for pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment for most of the past thirty years. He quit on the spot a few weeks ago. I don't approve of how he did it, but his leaving left that employer (owned by billionaires) in a huge jam. There are, maybe, a couple dozen people in this area who know how to work on that equipment. Most are 60+, and even older than my dad, who is 63. Younger people aren't entering the field. My dad was one of two lead mechanics - the other is 66 with a lot of health issues who has missed a lot of work himself. He'll likely retire sooner rather than later. I have no clue what the company plans on doing.

That is one reason why you have this huge bottleneck and lack of skilled tradesmen. Even if tons of 18 year olds become electricians, there's going to be a lag until those greenhorns are skilled enough to become their own tradesmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Even before the pandemic, we've had issues. I wanted to remodel a house - about a $300,000 remodel including footprint expansion. Contractors would come, look at it, and disappear; it just was too small a job for them, they said, as they were busy with $1 Million remodels, or with new custom construction of large homes. Or, they'd say they are booked out for 2 years. Etc.

Eventually, we gave up & sold the house, buying another house that had the size & features we wanted about 10 miles away.
Your scale is different than basically anything in my local area, but the problem is similar - what you're wanting to do is too small for the tradesmen to waste their time on. Netting bigger fish yields bigger profit.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On paper, people who are looking to retrain to other fields or young people entering the labor force should see these opportunities for high wages and good business prospects, and enter those fields.

That's a classical model. In reality, I don't think it'll happen - here's why. Schoolchildren have, for at least a generation (I'm 35 now) have been told to "go to college" and there has been an implication that "working with one's hands" in a trade or similar is just not as prestigious.

My dad has been a mechanic for pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment for most of the past thirty years. He quit on the spot a few weeks ago. I don't approve of how he did it, but his leaving left that employer (owned by billionaires) in a huge jam. There are, maybe, a couple dozen people in this area who know how to work on that equipment. Most are 60+, and even older than my dad, who is 63. Younger people aren't entering the field. My dad was one of two lead mechanics - the other is 66 with a lot of health issues who has missed a lot of work himself. He'll likely retire sooner rather than later. I have no clue what the company plans on doing.

That is one reason why you have this huge bottleneck and lack of skilled tradesmen. Even if tons of 18 year olds become electricians, there's going to be a lag until those greenhorns are skilled enough to become their own tradesmen.

Your scale is different than basically anything in my local area, but the problem is similar - what you're wanting to do is too small for the tradesmen to waste their time on. Netting bigger fish yields bigger profit.

I agree. We have too many degrees but not enough technical knowledge. Education and labor have changed and instead of investing in ourselves we outsourced or brought in someone cheaper and maybe not a citizen. Although the latter is somewhat a cyclical part of American history. Either way, it won't be a quick or cheap fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics