Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 08:45 PM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times

Advertisements

Hard to say. My parents will statistically be gone within the next 15 years. They've lived a very frugal life and if they don't spend it all on long-term care, I stand to inherit a very nice estate. It might allow my wife and I to retire early, but even without a dime we're well on our way to retiring in our early to mid-60's if the country can hold together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Back towards the start -- Boomer Die-off will be GREAT for the Economy.

Not for stats, or numbers, or even Cash Flow -- but because US can FINALLY move on from the Boomer Mindset.

That Mindset is the real damage that has been inflicted upon US.

The Pointless Wars, Corporation Corruption, Massive Debt, Oil-Forever, Straight-to-Dumpster Consumption . . . ALL classic always-all-about-me Boomers.

Past that, and past the over-bearing influence, US could do fine.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:34 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
successful boomers will leave what they have to their kids, enough to buy a house which will put them in a better predicament than most, and on and on...

why did so many sign up for expensive student loans that can't pay off? was it just stupidity? if don't pay them back they'll take some of your SS when you collect someday. I remember being very careful about how much I borrowed.
Kids are told by every authority figure in their life that they absolutely have to take out loans and go to college to have a successful career, and then they're on the hook as adults when it falls through. I think it's absurd for society to hold people to account their whole lives for a bad financial decision they made as a minor at society's urging.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Not for stats, or numbers, or even Cash Flow -- but because US can FINALLY move on from the Boomer Mindset.

The Pointless Wars, Corporation Corruption, Massive Debt, Oil-Forever, Straight-to-Dumpster Consumption . . . ALL classic always-all-about-me Boomers.

It’s too early to tell, but it appears like a growing number of millennials and Gen Z’s are moving away from the mindset that defined boomers and Gen X. Obviously, every generic in part influenced by its predecessor, but there’s usually a tendency to rebel against the old. What we call boomers were instrumental in promoting the counter-culture of the 60’s.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:16 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It’s too early to tell, but it appears like a growing number of millennials and Gen Z’s are moving away from the mindset that defined boomers and Gen X. Obviously, every generic in part influenced by its predecessor, but there’s usually a tendency to rebel against the old. What we call boomers were instrumental in promoting the counter-culture of the 60’s.
We used to be so cool in the 60s and 70s. I still don't exactly know what the hell happened to us in the 80s.

But that's not to say something similar isn't already happening to Millennials as they age.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:25 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

That is some tiresome tripe. I love being preached at by members of the luckiest generation of people ever in the history of mankind and you all still whine, cry and finger point no matter the topic.

You guys are eaten up with Neo-Marxist hate.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:44 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That is some tiresome tripe. I love being preached at by members of the luckiest generation of people ever in the history of mankind and you all still whine, cry and finger point no matter the topic.
We Boomers were luckier. We had as much liberty, leisure, and luxury...and none of the sense of impending doom.

We thought we would fix the world, but succeeding generations have not had the luxury of that confidence in the future.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

You guys are eaten up with Neo-Marxist hate.
"Neo-Marxist . . . . "

Pretty much poster-boying the condition, there.

But once the Boomers become Tombers -- no one left to carry it on.

Better days ahead.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:20 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
"Neo-Marxist . . . . "

Pretty much poster-boying the condition, there.

But once the Boomers become Tombers -- no one left to carry it on.

Better days ahead.
No you are it. Finger-pointing, scapegoating, sloganeering.......demanding broad systemic change with no real plan. Just emotion and talk. And always this weird fear of people older than you. Your group can't formulate convincing plans so you yell plying for disruption and tumult.

I've lived a heck of a life and am no where near ready to check out. My only real fear is that my kids will have to share the country with bile-filled, emotion first, low information loud-sters like you. My kids are happy you clearly are not.

You know, your group suffers from more mental illness and self reported unhappiness than any generation since The Silent Generation at least. You've dealt with a couple of recessions and student loans they dealt with with The Great Depression and WWII.

Maybe it's time for a look in the mirror and a little less scapegoating?

In part Marx was about convincing people who had it good that they were being screwed-over. And he was all about yelling, slogans, hatred of the successful etc. like you he wanted people he didn't like personally or people he disagreed with philosophically dead.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:16 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
oops, deleted, forgot I was in economics and not P&OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics