Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 05:34 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
I encourage all of you to click on OP's name and review his/her post history. OP has a history of posting anti-boomer comments.

I declare this thread a troll thread. Post at the risk of losing brain cells.
I agree. "the dying off of the baby boomers"? I can see this guy rubbing his hands together and salivating with a diabolical grin on his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
?
I would suggest your read Gregory Mankiw et al.

True, they were written in the late 1990s, and while the data might be a bit out-dated, the issues are not.

There's an issue with the 41,466 housing markets in the US.

Boomers have an higher percentage of home ownership than other Generations. It is not because Boomers are smarter or superior or more well-off, it's because it was beat into their brains that if you don't own a home, you're persona non gratis.

Boomers also have an higher percentage of 2nd homes, and I mean 2nd homes and not rental properties.

So, clearly, between now and 2045 there will be a glut of, um, "used" homes on the markets.

In some of those 41,466 housing markets, the Supply is fixed, meaning you have to wait until someone dies or moves to get a house there (unless you want to commit Arson), and Demand is high, or increasing, or both.

A glut of housing will have virtually no impact on prices.

About 30,000+ housing markets are at equilibrium, so worst case scenario is prices stagnate for a decade; best case scenario is modest increases in home values. If you thought your home would double in value in 10 years, that ain't gonna happen there.

Several 1,000 housing markets are in Micropolitan Statistical Areas (MMSAs not MSAs). They will take a hit with depressed home prices.

A example of an MMSA is Salem, Ohio (which borders the Akron MSA). The demographics of those areas are already top-heavy with the 50+crowd, because you don't pick up and move for a new job at age 50. That's something you do at age 30 or 40 (unless there's a gun pointed at your head).

They've been hemorrhaging people at rates of 20% every 10 years since 1960, and that MMSA in particular because it did not make the transition to mechanical agriculture very well in the 1960s and then industry -- foundries, steel mills, rolling mills, auto plants, auto parts plants, and the rubber and tire industry -- crapped out in the 1970s and 1980s.

Housing prices are already low, and they'll go lower through 2045.

Stocks are another issue.

Boomers own more stocks, not because they're smarter or superior or more well-off than other generations, rather because they came of age at a time when the Ponzi-scheme union- and corporate-based defined pension benefit plans crafted by mob accounts to launder money for the 27 MAFIA families and the 100s of capo regimes went by the way-side.

The alternative was 401(k) (pronounced "stocks").

The question is whether Boomers will spend down their 401(k) plans, or not. I suppose it's more of a sociological question than an economic one and a lot of that will probably rest on how their Will is structured (assuming they have one.)

I suppose if Boomers all died on the same day, it might actually impact the "Stock Market" but since that isn't going to happen, it's a nothing-burger.

The only other issue would be medical.

The HI (Medicare Part A) Trust is scheduled to go **** up in 2026. Of course, the Trustees knew nothing of STUPID-19, which did two things: significantly reduce HI tax revenues and result in increased spending by Medicare. Things are looking up, but hospitalizations by the elderly are still high, so it's likely to go bust 2023-2024. You'll need to at least triple the HI tax rate to get it solvent and keep it solvent over the long-term, and increased payroll taxes reduce both net economy and disposable income.

If you couple that with the fact that Social Security is about to assume dying cockroach position soon, and you'll have to increase the FICA payroll tax from 6.2% for employer and employee to 8.2%-8.4% for employer and employee, and the fact that will decrease both net income and disposable income, the economy could stagnate for a bit. Not collapse, and not go into a recession (although that might be a possibility), just stagnate with marginal GDP growth.

Medicaid is a joint State-federal program (although the government ponies up most of the money).

The issue with Medicaid is long-term care, whether that's in a nursing home, assisted living or in-home care.

If you're wondering why people who own homes qualify for Medicaid, it's because you can if your home value is under a certain amount.

However, depending on your State, you might have to forfeit your home when you die, so that means your children (or others) won't be inheriting it.

Fortunately, it may be possible to protect your home, if you act soon enough, and you'll need legal advice to do that properly.

Because this is specific to each State, and because it is also specific to each individual set of circumstances, there is no way to discuss it in generalities, because that would only mislead people.

In-home care is preferable to long-term care, because spending $1,600/month for a home health-aide to come round a few hours a day several days a week is a helluva lot cheaper than $6,000/month for a nursing home.

Even so, we ain't talking chump-change here. We're talking $100 Billion to $200 Billion extra each year, which means you'll have to raise taxes, or cut spending in other areas, or deficit spend to pay for it.

Those are just some of the things you can look at.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:58 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Deflation.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:39 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
It will be good.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:18 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Won't do any good. When they bumped their birth limit to two, the birth rate actually fell. One big problem is that the male/female ratio of 3:2, chiefly because many Chinese couples abort female fetuses. And even if they had a large baby boom, it would take 25 years before they actually began contributing to the Chinese economy.
It's a problem in India too:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph.../too-many-men/

It's best for a society to have a roughly equal ratio of males to females. In the past, there was often a surplus of females, due to unending wars where males were killed off. This is not good either, as females become a surplus commodity.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:57 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
TA few of us will pass on large estates to succeeding generations, but most will not.
This is a significant point. There is a lot of talk about the Millennial generation eventually inheriting the wealth of their parents, but for the most part, that's not going to happen.

Boomers will mostly burn up our wealth in our old age: Nursing homes, reverse mortgages, et cetera. Our wealth will trickle upwards to the banks and insurance companies. There will be little or no inheritance.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:59 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
By elderly housing I meant downsizing in general (i.e. from single family homes to apartments or duplexes), not Elder Care specifically.
Too expensive.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The boomers were the first generation to get significantly pushed into defined contribution retirement programs and there can be some significant balances left in those at time of death. It's enough that feds rewrote the rules for inherited IRAs in order to get more taxes out of the transfer- 10 year spend down now instead of a RMD based on expected life expectancy.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Gen Xers that did get a substantial inheritance ended up retiring somewhat early as a result if the kids are through college and ongoing housing costs are low.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
As a Boomer, I would say that the biggest variable is whether we will be lucky enough to drop dead suddenly or spend years warehoused in nursing or retirement homes. That's probably what will determine whether our accumulated assets will go to our children's generation or the people who operate the nursing homes.

I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks. The idea of retiring, and looking at another ten or twenty years without a job just seems like hell on earth.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The boomers were the first generation to get significantly pushed into defined contribution retirement programs and there can be some significant balances left in those at time of death. It's enough that feds rewrote the rules for inherited IRAs in order to get more taxes out of the transfer- 10 year spend down now instead of a RMD based on expected life expectancy.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Gen Xers that did get a substantial inheritance ended up retiring somewhat early as a result if the kids are through college and ongoing housing costs are low.
"Can be" are the operative words. The beneficiary of my pension when I pass is my wife, once she goes there is no secondary beneficiary for the kids, the retirement system just keeps the money. My monthly pension payments will be less because I opted to give her the benefit when I go, to get the maximum payments people would not give a beneficiary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics