Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 09:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
No, they should not. Everyone needs skin in the game.

See the Tyranny of the Majority
Considering the goals being pursued are also things the minority in this case want, it's hardly a case of Tyranny of the Majority, but if it helps make it a tax rate that doesn't materially impact living standards for the middle class.

What gets old is hearing a section of people (almost always themselves earners in the bottom 80%) continue to howl as if their hard work and tax dollars are what's supporting these programs and that they're the ones who are oppressed/"stolen" from by paying for "freeloaders" and "leeches" at the bottom. Their tax dollars are insignificant in solving this problem, so it's not a loss to remove that tax burden and with it this section's ability to try to justify outrage over a problem they're weren't really a part of the solution for in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
BS. You work 60-80 hours a week and make it happen. Roomates, crap apartments, whatever it takes. What you don’t do is demand that others pay your way. This IS the 60’s. And the 40’s. And the 20’s. It’s not right to steal from one citizen to give to another in any decade, century, or millennium.
Ah, the American Way.
Work uber alles.

And people should be thankful for the privilege, right?

Old 06-26-2021, 09:41 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Nobody will demand anything. You are free to take care of business or die. Pick one. 20 year olds should be working their butts off and living with others their age in squalid apartments. It’s a character builder. I lived with 6 pig guys in an apartment with 1 kitchen and 1 bath. It was fine, I had fun. I took the bus to everything. I worked 50-60 hours a week, and moved up nicely over time by doing a good job at work. That’s what you do when you are young. You don’t make demands on others, you make demands on yourself. You are not entitled to steal money from working people so you can attend college. You want college? Pay for it with funds you earn and own. Or don’t go.

And stop hating on people who can afford a yacht. Envy is one of the biggest problems in this society. The vast majority of people who own yachts are extremely rare and talented people and demand big bucks. That’s the way it should be. We are not all equal, and the best among us will enjoy more than the average common schlub.
If you make 20 year olds work their rear end off, you will be killing thousands of people every year due to drowsy driving, you will be undoing most of the gains in labor protections made in the last century, and you will have thousands of neglected dependents due to the conflict between caretaking and work.

And if you die in a car crash because of a 20 year old that was working 80 hours a week, it will be your own fault.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
BS. You work 60-80 hours a week and make it happen. Roomates, crap apartments, whatever it takes. What you don’t do is demand that others pay your way. This IS the 60’s. And the 40’s. And the 20’s. It’s not right to steal from one citizen to give to another in any decade, century, or millennium.
And here we have it. The man who lives in continual delusional. Housing costs high? Its the fault of the eighteen to twenty year olds that are trying to go to school. Wages low? Why don't they work sixteen hours a day? Rent too high? Why don't you move into a place with six other people?

Its always the individual's fault if they don't succeed. Its never the fault of things like a housing market that doesn't even have homes for a married couple with a $100,000 a year family income. We have a housing market like that where I live and I know a married couple just like that. My problem though isn't really with that married couple. They will eventually find something. However, if its that tough for them its another way of saying that thousands of others who are not so fortunate are "up the creek" so-to-speak.

Everyone can't be rich. In fact for that matter, I don't think the capitalist system would allow everyone to even be middle class. If it did there wouldn't be enough people to do all the menial things that need to be done in this country. The system needs low wage workers just to function.

You're a comedy act, Marc. A pure ideologue. You aren't to be taken seriously.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:31 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you make 20 year olds work their rear end off, you will be killing thousands of people every year due to drowsy driving, you will be undoing most of the gains in labor protections made in the last century, and you will have thousands of neglected dependents due to the conflict between caretaking and work.

And if you die in a car crash because of a 20 year old that was working 80 hours a week, it will be your own fault.
I think you are really reaching here about drowsy driving. You don’t know the state of the people that do thAt. Maybe the people that do t have enough money that need to work Uber hours shouldn’t have had kids yet.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:33 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly. No one should work for wages that are unacceptable to themselves.
And businesses shouldn't be surprised and whine if they can't find workers.
Again, if staying in business is dependent on those low wages, well...
So basically it’s like life in general. Survival of the fittest and making choices. Either side Needs to decide what they will accept to continue on.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:59 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So you are against bus systems? Or you deny that transportation is an obstacle? I'm describing a real world scenario of why a student failed. If you want to call me a liar do it to my face.
I'm not calling you a liar at all. I'm saying "What about XXX" where XXX is any and every obstacle conceivable to mankind is not a compelling argument.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm suggesting you appreciate those resources that were provided to you to in order to maximize your opportunity, and pay it forward for the people coming up behind you. And just maybe, leave it a little better than you found it.
While you were not addressing me, I personally do indeed pay it forward. I've created a scholarship to pay for anyone who graduates from my high school (among the worst in California the year I graduated: 12 of a graduating class of 660 went to college) to attend the college from which I graduated. Separately, I've created unrestricted scholarships and significantly participated in capital campaigns; my name - along with others - is on the side of a relatively new building on campus - both at my undergrad & my grad schools. Ditto for Mrs. RationalExpectations undergrad & grad schools.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It's also not right to demand people work themselves to the point of extreme sleep deprivation so that billionaires can have even more yachts ...
False dichotomy, of course. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Ah, the American Way.
Work uber alles.

And people should be thankful for the privilege, right?
Yes because the hallmarks of a great life are productive accomplishment and romantic love. Productive accomplishment is a must for anyone that wants to be happy. Being useless is not an option. Even the scampering squirrel and the flying falcon know that survival requires hard work, and that the hard work is a value that must be pursued if you want to live. Only dumb humans take it into their heads that they are entitled special souls, and that it is ok to steal from other humans to make their life easier. Screw that. Work your butt off or don’t, just don’t think it’s ok to steal from others rather than earn your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics