Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 02:52 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Then they need to pay more.

If they can't do so, they should go out of business. I hope no one works for them.
Employers are not competing with the employer down the street to hire employees; employers are now competing with the Federal Government paying people to stay home and play Call of Duty.

During the height of the pandemic, that was warranted, but I see little reason to continue that practice.

Once the Federal Government stops paying people to make permanent indentations on their respective couches, then we can see what the fair market wage is.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 06-26-2021 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 02:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
And here we have it. The man who lives in continual delusional. Housing costs high? Its the fault of the eighteen to twenty year olds that are trying to go to school. Wages low? Why don't they work sixteen hours a day? Rent too high? Why don't you move into a place with six other people?

Its always the individual's fault if they don't succeed. Its never the fault of things like a housing market that doesn't even have homes for a married couple with a $100,000 a year family income. We have a housing market like that where I live and I know a married couple just like that. My problem though isn't really with that married couple. They will eventually find something. However, if its that tough for them its another way of saying that thousands of others who are not so fortunate are "up the creek" so-to-speak.

Everyone can't be rich. In fact for that matter, I don't think the capitalist system would allow everyone to even be middle class. If it did there wouldn't be enough people to do all the menial things that need to be done in this country. The system needs low wage workers just to function.

You're a comedy act, Marc. A pure ideologue. You aren't to be taken seriously.
Housing costs are ALWAYS HIGH. And always were. And always will be. Houses aren’t given away ever. It takes long hours of hard work to EARN the right to own a house. It’s not an entitlement or a right. You want a house and you’re not especially talented at anything? Be prepared for 60-80 hour work weeks for years to make it happen. Which is as it should be in a free society.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Employers are not competing with the employer down the street to hire employees; employers are now competing with the Federal Government paying people to stay home and play Call of Duty. During the height of the pandemic, that was warranted, but I see little reason to continue that practice.

Once the Federal Government stops paying people make permanent indentations on their respective couches, then we can see what the fair market wage is.
Which has been a perfect example of Universal Basic Income and why it is a complete and utter failure, in addition to being amother disgusting Leftist concept.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you make 20 year olds work their rear end off, you will be killing thousands of people every year due to drowsy driving, you will be undoing most of the gains in labor protections made in the last century, and you will have thousands of neglected dependents due to the conflict between caretaking and work.

And if you die in a car crash because of a 20 year old that was working 80 hours a week, it will be your own fault.
Long hours of hard work at 20 years old is expected, correct, desirable, and mundane. It’s called survival behavior and even dumb animals know there is no alternative.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
This is a bit brutal, but I see your point. If wages are increased, then of course prices will increase....not sure if this would have an adverse affect on business to the point where it would all come crashing down anyway. Just doing a thought experiment in my head, assuming rent is $1,000...more in some places, less in others, so using this as a mid-way point....at $15 an hour a single person could survive...not thrive, but survive. At $20 an hour one could have a decent life...not extravagant, but decent. At $25 an hour, a single person would have what I would call a "normal" life....able to cover all bills, have some fun and also save and maybe buy a house. It's mind boggling to me that the federal minimum wage is something like $7.25 an hour....that's simply insane.
You're missing the point. Employees whose total value add to society is to pick something up and then set it down again are not adding enough value to justify a higher wage.

Paying them more than their worth is handing them money they have not earned and do not deserve.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly. No one should work for wages that are unacceptable to themselves.
Of course.

Once the Federal Government stops paying people to play Call of Duty, those low-value-add human beings can select among the alternatives available to them. Hunger is a wonderful motivator. I recall needing to stretch a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter back when I was in grad school.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Housing costs are ALWAYS HIGH. And always were. And always will be. Houses aren’t given away ever. It takes long hours of hard work to EARN the right to own a house. It’s not an entitlement or a right. You want a house and you’re not especially talented at anything? Be prepared for 60-80 hour work weeks for years to make it happen. Which is as it should be in a free society.
If you run the numbers for a mortgage on a median value home and a median family income, percentage of income spent on housing runs about 25% in both 2000 and 2020, oddly enough. Which is not ALWAYS HIGH in my book. Of course there are areas where those two numbers don't sync well like Los Angeles, but for what many people consider to be the boring parts of the country, housing costs have always been pretty moderate if people are willing to go the condo or townhouse route.

Really, you can have a surprisingly good life in Des Moines or Grand Rapids, or Columbus, OH or Pittsburgh without feeling like you're always stuck in the rate race.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:26 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Here even in the cheaper suburbs north of Houston, you can't find a decent apartment less than $1000/month. Contrary to what Marc Paolella (the realtor making a killing in our current grossly inflated RE market) said, people are entitled to a living wage. It doesn't matter what their job is. Even if they are professional sign spinners, they deserve to be able to pay their bills spinning away 8 hours a day. If they didn't deserve a living wage, what's the purpose of working at all?
then pay unreliable skilless people a "living wage" to produce nothing or next to nothing and see how that works out for you

Old 06-26-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What if there is no bus system, and you don't have a network willing to drive you?

The particular scenario I'm thinking of was a student from the nearby Native American reservation which is 45 minutes from the nearest branch campus which has no bus service. None of his friends could spare an hour and a half round trip plus two hours to wait on him. The county voted against working with the Res to provide bus service. Didn't want the taxes.

Uber would have been 200 at least for that trip.
Just stop it. If someone can't handle the adversity of their car breaking down and missing an exam they'll never be able to handle real adversity in life. It's just excuse making nonsense." I missed an exam because my car broke down so I dropped out of college." I mean you can't even be serious with that one.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So you are against bus systems? Or you deny that transportation is an obstacle? I'm describing a real world scenario of why a student failed. If you want to call me a liar do it to my face.
You described a scenario why ONE student failed ONE class. This even assumes that the professor wouldn't let him makeup this exam. If some idiot dropped out of college for this they clearly were never going anywhere in life anyway and were probably too lazy to even try to make the exam up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics