Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 07:07 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times

Advertisements

On this forum many believe we're doing just fine as a country. They believe it is the norm to be healthy, employed in a fulfilling job and this is the average Joe's situation. Only a limited amount of exceptions are doing poorly in life.

Wrong. Every metric I monitor as well as qualitative sources such as this prove this perception wrong:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90646936...ame-everywhere

And although race tends to be a large component, actually we see the vast majority of increases in poverty, mental health issues and unemployment among Middle aged blue collar White males in rural and suburban areas...50 years ago this group was doing the best, and now due to globalization, poor labor planning and false perceptions, they now have the worst outcomes.

Quote:
Americans born in the 1950s and 1960s experienced overall declines in well-being and memory in middle age compared to those born in the 1930s and 1940s.
Quote:
Our study finds that middle-aged Americans are experiencing overall declines in key outcomes, whereas other nations are showing general improvements.
We are going backwards, while other nations are behind in some respects, but still moving forward.

I am ultimately a believer in the following:

1) Small government + Lower Taxes + Efficient Incentive Based Regulation

2) Population Reduction + Automation/Technologization

3) Strong primary education that teaches fundamental life skills, not arbitrary "conventional" learning which is mostly "academic " and not functional or practical. Less emphasis on a heavy cost traditional college experience.

4) Reduction of Healthcare costs through preventative measures, a complete revamp of the American diet. 90% of Western medicine is wrong when it comes to treating and preventing modern ailments. Most medications used for chronic illness are ineffective and only cause more issues. Older Japanese in comparison have a much stronger foundation on healthy living. Controlling calorie intake and focusing on nutritionally dense and fermented foods such as Wakame, Natto, Burdock root (tuber), Daikon (radish) and others. These foods tend to balance blood sugar, pressure and cholesterol levels - All key indicators of metabolic, liver and heart health which Americans typically score lower on.

5) Cultural modernization. Many Older Americans suffer compared to older Japanese in my experience primarily because older Japanese adapt to new technologies (Zoom/Android Assistants).

Quote:
The restructuring of corporate America has led to less investment in employee development and destabilization of unions. Employees now have less power and input than ever before.
Things are getting worse for the average American Joe worker, not better. Mitt Romney famously argued that Corporations are people and need love too

It shows you what matters in this country are connections, privileged information, Incorporation (which I have done) and a whole lot of " Do as I say, not as I do".

This has led to a ton of confusion, disagreements between generations, hidden crises that are exacerbated by our dysfunctional culture and a strong denial of the facts and reality among the plebians/proletariat. Every facet of life is falling apart here and only the wealthy can insulate themselves to what is happening and what's to come, if we don't get this runaway train back on track. The first step to solving the issue is to acknowledge that there is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 07:13 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
The false dichotomy I referenced in the title is in reference to this is not a democrat or republican issue. It is not a Boomer or Zoomer issue. This is an American issue. Americans typically process information through a polarized lens. Radical Policy changes and cultural perception shifts must occur should this country want to survive in the next century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics