Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 06:54 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times

Advertisements

So many things in the USA are being artificially-inflated to the point that it is out of reach
for the average Peasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 07:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd like to see more than cars brought into the conversation. New cars are considerably higher quality in 2021 vs 1981. I know some people have nostalgia for old cars, but they were less safe and they broke down like crazy. I noticed that circa 2008-10 cars got a lot better.

We need a calculation that takes into account different costs of living. E..g.: housing is much more expensive. Communications cost, however, has plummeted.
I bought a certified pre owned car in 2005 with 2000 miles ,but it was just $2500 less than a new one !
I am still driving it,just one repair with the power steering,on my 4th battery and second set of tires.
A European car dealer took me aside once and said in Europe,people take better care of their car,they just dont drive,drive ,drive!
I feel lucky I am not in the market for a car,after hearing all the problems car buyers are facing.
One thing I must say,there was a time I did not own a car and I manage to save up more money.
Cars are expensive -the payment,upkeep,insurance,repair,no different than owning a home

Old 07-02-2021, 08:46 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd like to see more than cars brought into the conversation. New cars are considerably higher quality in 2021 vs 1981. I know some people have nostalgia for old cars, but they were less safe and they broke down like crazy. I noticed that circa 2008-10 cars got a lot better.

We need a calculation that takes into account different costs of living. E..g.: housing is much more expensive. Communications cost, however, has plummeted.

Exactly, it depends on the 'type' of spend, the key thing to show across the board with many types of products would be the dilution in quality of product (content) or product life cycle as well as increased maintenance costs.

Any product chosen say, cars, hamburgers, etc... you'd want to examine the full production cycle - life cycle chain of labor and its employ and pay versus the product cost.

IMO the vast majority of middle class (desiring to work) American have declining standards of living. I would contend due to the majority of hard products being disposable or simply designed for short life cycle. Also since USA is a mature market for many consumable type products manufacturers are frequently diluting quality or 'shrinking' unit size in standard packaging.

In some industries you have continuously rising baseline charges for a service due to cartel like behavior. Again it will vary by the realm of item you are examining.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:18 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Working-class prosperity was a 20th century bubble. The OP's father and grandfather may have done well, but what his grandfather's great-grandfather? Perhaps in the 21st century, we're reverting to a pattern more akin to that of the 19th, or even the 18th. There is small aristocracy, a "middle class" consisting of about 10%-20% of the population, and a vast peasantry underneath. It is not the case, that this scenario is somehow and odd and lamentable anomaly. Rather, the anomaly was the 20th century; unsustainable and unstable.

I remain convinced, that a stable society ought to resemble a floating iceberg: eight ninths of it is submerged below the water-line.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:26 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
Is there a way for older people to make some dough with a YouTube account? I'd be happy with $75K a year in that game if I knew all the ropes. I was an auto mechanic by trade until arthritis kept me out of it. I have limited physical ability age 57.

I wish I knew how to put this PC and Internet connection of mine to profitable use.
Ummm yeah

https://youtube.com/c/ScottyKilmermechanic

My parents encouraged me to get an education and a White Collar "Intellectual " job exactly for this reason. The human body is not designed to physically work for 40 years, if you look at average life expectancy before 200 years ago it was age 35-45. Any functionality you retain after age 35 is a gift, and/or due to proper maintenance (similar to the cars you worked on )

You mentioned you're somewhat not interested in technology. Welp, if it wasn't for the tech geeks you, I and many others on this forum probably wouldn't be alive right now, statistically speaking.

We now sing praises of often socially awkward Men who stared into a microscope or up at the clouds every day, relentlessly and weren't very in touch with their time or the "physical" world... they wrote bizarre symbols called equations, didn't go to church and overall were just the "tech geeks" of their time. Ostracized and disregarded, until one day a huge need for what they discovered arised and eureka - We finally appreciate their hard work... a bit late (in some cases 200-300 years later) but better late than never I guess?

Old 07-03-2021, 07:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
aiming for $75K a year for an auto mechanic working from home is a tall order,I would lower it to 35K to start,if you can clear $35k ,you are doing well.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:27 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
A lot of people will try to tell you otherwise. Often using some variation of the "chained CPI" style argument to claim it's less today. But the reality is it takes more time. (And before someone starts nitpicking, I didn't specifically say they used "chained CPI" but an argument of that style.)

The reason that style argument is disingenuous is that we don't live in the past world. Sure, a poor person today might have things that even the wealthy didn't have in 1970 (cell phone for example) but that's not the issue. The issue is, relative to the overall quality of life of the era you live in, it is harder today to maintain a middle class life style than in 1970.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:50 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
My family lived on a CASH economy, cash was king. We were happy without all that electronic geek crap. We enjoyed simple innocent things: going to the beach, going to the carnival, baseball games, drive-in movies, fresh green mown lawns and Sunday barbecues. Fishing, hunting, canoeing, camping, hiking. Schwinn Varsity ten-speed bicycles. Our beloved family dogs. Christmases by the warm brick hearth at grandma's. Kodak Instamatic cameras saved memories. Polaroid land cameras too. Those were the happiest days of our lives. We had a 3-br home plenty big built in 1965. In now very expensive San Mateo County, California. Television was great from the rooftop Radio Shack Archerotor antenna. 1970 America ... Who could ask for anything more!
And what keeps you from this in 2021?

Old 07-03-2021, 09:05 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A lot of people will try to tell you otherwise. Often using some variation of the "chained CPI" style argument to claim it's less today. But the reality is it takes more time. (And before someone starts nitpicking, I didn't specifically say they used "chained CPI" but an argument of that style.)

The reason that style argument is disingenuous is that we don't live in the past world. Sure, a poor person today might have things that even the wealthy didn't have in 1970 (cell phone for example) but that's not the issue. The issue is, relative to the overall quality of life of the era you live in, it is harder today to maintain a middle class life style than in 1970.

It's always best to A). avoid gut-feelings based arguments across economic topics B). use chained metrics as said numbers account for inflation. You can reject all that if you'd like but doing so is logically faulty.

Cold hard numbers always beat feelings. Here are a couple in 2019 CPI-U research dollars......

Median household income 1970 - $58,137

Median household income 2019 - $86,011

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEFAINUSA672N

Old 07-03-2021, 10:05 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
Quote:
Is there a way for older people to make some dough with a YouTube account? I'd be happy with $75K a year in that game if I knew all the ropes.
Yes, absolutely. There is a Nigerian Prince who teaches classes on it. Just wire him $5,000 in advance. Oh, he also sells car warranties to owners of older vehicles and he buys houses for cash.

Let me know if you want his contact info.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics