Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 11:51 AM

858 posts, read 682,087 times

Advertisements

I bet this thread goes over most folks heads, but how low of a salary would you accept to work in a low stress slow paced position. One where everyday wasn't a fire drill and you actually liked your boss.

I understand we have all been brain washed to believe that the more more money we make the better off we are. But would you take a pay cut to move to a career that wasn't a daily battle of stress, backstabbing, rushing, and being dumped on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:58 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
usually low pay jobs end up being under the watchful eye of a grunt supervisor making it anything but low stress

Old 07-15-2021, 12:03 PM

489 posts, read 887,233 times
That number totally depends on where you live and other factors. $75k in the South is far different than $75k in NYC or the Silicon Valley. It also depends on the type of low-stress job. Government job with guaranteed pension, excellent healthcare at a low cost, generous vacation/sick leave or a standard corporate staffer job with middle-of-the-road benefits? Even at lower salaries with the benefits, Government jobs can often be the golden handcuffs as they can provide more security than a private sector job.

With that said, all jobs are a PITA. I've had good bosses, bad bosses, stressful and non-stressful jobs, road-warrior vs. cube dweller, public and private/corporate and Government. At the end of the day, it's all work. Any job with monumental stress and long hours that's outright miserable isn't worth it. The most amount of money for the least amount of BS would be the goal if you're a wage slave; otherwise, it's better to go out on your own. That's the only way to really make good money and have the stress make it worthwhile.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
what you need is a mid salary in a company that has culture that values work/life balance. You may get 75% of top comp but if you can get a 9/80 schedule with every other friday off then you may be able to get the best of both worlds.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:15 PM

489 posts, read 887,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
what you need is a mid salary in a company that has culture that values work/life balance. You may get 75% of top comp but if you can get a 9/80 schedule with every other friday off then you may be able to get the best of both worlds.
^ This is also key. Flex-time is priceless, as well as a job that doesn't have mandatory expectations that you put in over 40 hours of facetime.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I bet this thread goes over most folks heads, but how low of a salary would you accept to work in a low stress slow paced position. One where everyday wasn't a fire drill and you actually liked your boss.

I understand we have all been brain washed to believe that the more more money we make the better off we are. But would you take a pay cut to move to a career that wasn't a daily battle of stress, backstabbing, rushing, and being dumped on?
There's always stress in most jobs so your premise is pretty much a fallacy.

I've worked long term with some "low stress" employees.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:32 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
No it isn't. Most jobs involve some kind of stress, so you might as well get a job that pays well.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:39 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times
The more money I've made in my career the less stress I've had due to autonomy and skill. My current position is by far my highest paid position, and I have very little stress. I do have amazing work/life benefits working for the federal government though.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I have to say that the more I have made, the less stress, not only at work, but also at home. There are plenty of jobs where you can make decent money (100k+) and yet have a good work-life balance, low stress, backstabbing etc. In my current position as a manager my boss leaves me alone, I have a good, well trained staff, and enjoy what I do. Yes, I will sometimes have to "put out a fire" but it's not very often, and I can usually do it without working any extra hours.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:13 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The people who are in low paid jobs for life, that is their comfort level and they aren't interested in taking on any more stress. So I would say there are a heck of a lot of people who are willing to take a lower, minimum wage type of salary in exchange for not having to make decisions or take any responsibility.

I'm happy where I am so there is no reason for me to switch to a minimum wage job with no responsibility, which means I can't really answer your question, since your question doesn't make much sense to me.

If your job is a daily battle of stress, backstabbing, rushing, and being dumped on, it is possible to change to a similar job that pays the same sort of wage without the hostile working conditions. Although if your dream job is one that doesn't involve doing any work, you aren't going to find many jobs like that that pay a generous salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics