Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't really like shopping at Walmart because I think the quality of a lot of their stuff is subpar. I prefer Target, HomeGoods and stores like that.

But sometimes, you can get decent quality items for lower prices. So, there is a place for that.
Their groceries are the same as any other grocery - except cheaper.

They are the only place where I can get my cypress mulch where the bags are not torn to shreds. The ONLY place I will buy bagged mulch now.

Vitamins and first aid stuff much cheaper that any other store.

Bird seed - great variety and good prices. Only place I can find the Dr. Canary finch feeders.

I shop there probably once a week. I love Walmart. And of course, there are so many hilarious sights there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't really like shopping at Walmart because I think the quality of a lot of their stuff is subpar. I prefer Target, HomeGoods and stores like that.

But sometimes, you can get decent quality items for lower prices. So, there is a place for that.
I wouldn't but fresh meat there. Basic staples are fine.

Sheba cat food is the same no matter where I get it for my cat. Same thing for something like razors and other toiletries. A-1 steak sauce is the same where I get it at Walmart or Publix.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Ha ha ha! I went to Walmart this morning. It wasn't my first stop, I only went because I couldn't find a selection of fans at my other two stops. Walmart had a good choice. That's all I bought - I don't browse there.

I noticed mostly 30 something's with little kids in the parking lot crossing area, and carelessly walking in the parking lot. Why do they need to walk in the middle of the road so a person can't drive past them? I didn't pay attention to the other shoppers once I was in the store. They have an incredible number if handicapped spaces, but they were mostly empty this morning. I suppose the weekend shoppers may be different than the weekday shoppers.
I always say shopping at Walmart is like enduring a 100 million paper cuts. I don't know what it is about actually shopping IN a Walmart store...but there's always so many little irritations that become a giant "I hate shopping at Walmart" deal. LOL

Since April, I've been buying groceries from Walmart online...and it's certainly more peaceful and no stress. Some things I've been able to identify as 'issues'.

1. Yes, the people meandering in the parking lot.
2. People who congregate right by the front doors.
3. Giant grocery carts that are so long, you can't hardly turn a corner without hitting someone.
4. Pushing giant carts on a concrete floor. It makes for tired shopping.
5. Walmart seems to have a problem keeping shelves stocked. That's not a pandemic problem, they've always seemed that way to me.
6. Their automated check out kiosks suck. More often than not, they don't work right.
7. Busy Saturday, and maybe they have TWO lanes open for regular check out.

I have never really noticed a "trashy people" vibe. Once, I was in Walmart, and there was a grandma that looked like Ziggy from Ziggy Stardust...but that's about as weird as it's gotten at our Walmart.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I always say shopping at Walmart is like enduring a 100 million paper cuts. I don't know what it is about actually shopping IN a Walmart store...but there's always so many little irritations that become a giant "I hate shopping at Walmart" deal. LOL

Since April, I've been buying groceries from Walmart online...and it's certainly more peaceful and no stress. Some things I've been able to identify as 'issues'.

1. Yes, the people meandering in the parking lot.
2. People who congregate right by the front doors.
3. Giant grocery carts that are so long, you can't hardly turn a corner without hitting someone.
4. Pushing giant carts on a concrete floor. It makes for tired shopping.
5. Walmart seems to have a problem keeping shelves stocked. That's not a pandemic problem, they've always seemed that way to me.
6. Their automated check out kiosks suck. More often than not, they don't work right.
7. Busy Saturday, and maybe they have TWO lanes open for regular check out.

I have never really noticed a "trashy people" vibe. Once, I was in Walmart, and there was a grandma that looked like Ziggy from Ziggy Stardust...but that's about as weird as it's gotten at our Walmart.
I think these conditions vary really widely by location. The scenarios you list, don’t occur in any of the Walmarts that I normally shop at. I have seen it at some, but not the ones that I go to regularly.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:28 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
........ I did see a young woman in the parking lot wearing bedroom slippers though.
I don't think that is just a Walmart thing. I see people in airports wearing slippers and pajamas.

I assume people deplaning from long flight and international flights are not all low income.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:35 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,966,039 times
This is not the appropriate demographic. Target has a demo closer that than Walmart.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:37 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is not the appropriate demographic. Target has a demo closer that than Walmart.
So you dismiss the data because of your personal anecdotes?

Old 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Will someone please start learning how to interpret statistics on this site? Thank you. Plenty of 80k+ women in my one zip code town in OK shopping at WalMart - it is convenient.
I'm not a statistician but I did complete Data Analysis I and II in a doctoral program. "Plenty of 80+ women in my zipcode in OK" doesn't cut it.

Last edited by lenora; 07-26-2021 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 01:33 PM

21,828 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Their groceries are the same as any other grocery - except cheaper.

They are the only place where I can get my cypress mulch where the bags are not torn to shreds. The ONLY place I will buy bagged mulch now.

Vitamins and first aid stuff much cheaper that any other store.

Bird seed - great variety and good prices. Only place I can find the Dr. Canary finch feeders.

I shop there probably once a week. I love Walmart. And of course, there are so many hilarious sights there too.
Are they?

I used to shop at a Super Walmart when I was in college. Walmart was cheap, the local Safeway or whatever it was closed at 10:00. I either had labs from 7:00 to 10:00 or I was working swing shift 4:00 to 1:00 or whatever, so it was really the only thing open. They were sort of halfway between a grocery store and a neighborhood market but with good prices. Selection wasn't great, quality wasn't particularly good, but they had the basics. Downside to Walmart is the lines and the volume of people. Going late solves the store being crowded issue but the lines were still terrible since they'd have 5-6 people all waiting to use the one register in the entire store that was open. Then half of them were liquor so it was like oh, this won't to be too bad this person is just getting some chips and sodas... oh wait, they're off to go get liquor and won't be back for five minutes.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Are they?
Are they....what?

What is your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I used to shop at a Super Walmart when I was in college. Walmart was cheap, the local Safeway or whatever it was closed at 10:00. I either had labs from 7:00 to 10:00 or I was working swing shift 4:00 to 1:00 or whatever, so it was really the only thing open. They were sort of halfway between a grocery store and a neighborhood market but with good prices. Selection wasn't great, quality wasn't particularly good, but they had the basics. Downside to Walmart is the lines and the volume of people. Going late solves the store being crowded issue but the lines were still terrible since they'd have 5-6 people all waiting to use the one register in the entire store that was open. Then half of them were liquor so it was like oh, this won't to be too bad this person is just getting some chips and sodas... oh wait, they're off to go get liquor and won't be back for five minutes.
If it is a busy time, I do not go there. The Walmarts I shop at are the big ones, grocery one side and everything else on the other. No idea what the liquor comment means. Liquor is not sold in grocery stores here. Beer and wine, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics