Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 03:35 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times

Advertisements

The Walmart in Vienna, VA is really no worse than the Targets I've been to around here. The fact some people think there's this massive gap just shows you the power of branding. And FWIW their grocery section easily beats the Safeways around here (which are awful in almost every way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 03:35 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
How can the "average" shopper be female? It would have to be 53% (or whatever), unless no males shop there.

Perhaps they meant typical.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I don't find their prices to be that great. Over time it seems they've gotten higher as people have gotten dumber - large "efficiency" sizes that aren't actually cheaper, etc. Like people "know" Walmart is cheaper so they don't bother comparison shopping any more.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Poor people can’t exactly drive spending numbers at a place with household items. They either don’t have the spending creep or can’t afford to spend on it anyways.

I also think people’s perception of Walmart is skewed by thinking of Walmart’s being trashy in small towns or something. In bigger cities, the Walmart’s that I’ve been to are actually nice and keep up with other options. It says more about the kind of people that live in the same area as the people who they are complaining about versus what it says about the company or the store.

There is one in Greenville, SC in a nice suburban area that is very, very nice and even has faux wood floors and nicer items in it. Agreed.

The ones in urban areas in the Northeast are tough.

I prefer Target, which seems to be taking over everywhere (fortunately). I was surprised to see one in Center City Philadelphia recently.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't find their prices to be that great. Over time it seems they've gotten higher as people have gotten dumber - large "efficiency" sizes that aren't actually cheaper, etc. Like people "know" Walmart is cheaper so they don't bother comparison shopping any more.
Not so here. And I DO comparison shop - I check sizes and I know what I am buying. Once in a while I'll see something that is not a good price. And the quantity scam where people buy a 2, 3 or pack and don't realize that they are spending MORE, well that happens at EVERY grocery store not just Walmart. I don't understand how people fall for that but they do.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
How can the "average" shopper be female? It would have to be 53% (or whatever), unless no males shop there.

Perhaps they meant typical.
If you read the article, it uses typical throughout. That is what they meant and that’s how they said it several times.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:51 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The Walmart in Vienna, VA is really no worse than the Targets I've been to around here. The fact some people think there's this massive gap just shows you the power of branding. And FWIW their grocery section easily beats the Safeways around here (which are awful in almost every way).
Well, you know Targets are considered upscale because you can pronounce the name like it's French-Tarjay.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:18 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
In 2020, in a large part of the country, retail stores were shut down while food stores remained open. Since both Walmart and Target carried groceries, they did very, very well. Customers who did not need groceries could and did purchase other items at these stores. Numbers alone are terribly misleading.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So you dismiss the data because of your personal anecdotes?
Has anyone posted a version of this article with meaningful data? Like the sample size, survey methodology, and criteria for identifying "Walmart shoppers" and their typical attributes?

This is all I found in the article:
Quote:
Roughly 95% of the shoppers in Numerator's panel visited Walmart two or more times in the past year.
Does visiting Walmart "two or more times in the past year" qualify a survey participant as a "Walmart shopper?" If so, then the demographics simply reflect the sample since pretty much everyone goes to Walmart.
Quote:
Walmart's typical shopper in the US is a white woman between 55 and 64 years old, who is married and living in the suburbs of the Southeast. She typically has an undergraduate degree and earns about $80,000 per year.
The 2017 population estimate for white women aged 55-64 with a bachelor's degree is 3,422,000 or less than 2% of the adult population. Again, I have no idea what is meant by "typical" in this article, but I suspect the data have little to do with the conclusions being drawn by some in this thread...

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ed-tables.html

Old 07-26-2021, 07:42 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Has anyone posted a version of this article with meaningful data? Like the sample size, survey methodology, and criteria for identifying "Walmart shoppers" and their typical attributes?

This is all I found in the article:
Does visiting Walmart "two or more times in the past year" qualify a survey participant as a "Walmart shopper?" If so, then the demographics simply reflect the sample since pretty much everyone goes to Walmart.
The 2017 population estimate for white women aged 55-64 with a bachelor's degree is 3,422,000 or less than 2% of the adult population. Again, I have no idea what is meant by "typical" in this article, but I suspect the data have little to do with the conclusions being drawn by some in this thread...

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ed-tables.html
yep, that article kind of reads like random statistics tossed into one article without the rest of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics