Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 02:57 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,820,080 times

Advertisements

It will be replaced by UBI, or Fiat Stimulus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 PM

106,171 posts, read 108,140,134 times
Ss ain’t going anywhere

Old 08-08-2021, 05:07 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,232,769 times
Are the people telling you SS is going away in a position to know anything about SS, or are they just random people with uninformed opinions who want attention? If they're getting their "information" from YouTube or other random people just as ignorant as they are, why are you paying attention to them? Eliminating Social Security is so politically undesirable that it is extremely unlikely it would even be considered seriously by responsible leaders. Of course, we are not always guaranteed responsible leaders, so if this issue is important to you, then pay attention to the positions of the candidates you vote for on the topic of Social Security.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:22 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,979,347 times
There will be changes in how benefits are calculated, but Soc Sec is here to stay.

"Differential changes in life expectancies across lifetime earnings quartiles threaten to erode the intended progressivity of Social Security Old-Age and Survivors Insurance benefits. ...The adjustments would reduce projected poverty rates among beneficiaries in the lower lifetime earnings quartiles with no increase in the official poverty rate for those in higher quartiles. The adjustments would also narrow the gap in lifetime benefits between individuals in the highest and lowest lifetime earnings quartiles."

https://www.open.ssa.gov/policy/docs.../v81n3p19.html

Old 08-11-2021, 05:12 PM

19,987 posts, read 8,888,037 times
hard to say if SS will continue as is or morph into something else. Some members of Congress are proposing a $2000 a month stipend to each struggling American and $600 per month for each child indefinitely.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:31 PM

32,548 posts, read 47,683,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
hard to say if SS will continue as is or morph into something else. Some members of Congress are proposing a $2000 a month stipend to each struggling American and $600 per month for each child indefinitely.

Lovely. I've got tenants with two children so the government will be giving them $5200 a month for doing nothing and I can triple their rent.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:52 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,765,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Lovely. I've got tenants with two children so the government will be giving them $5200 a month for doing nothing and I can triple their rent.
you can but you won't collect and won't be able to evict as they'll extend that moratorium indefinitely

Old 08-11-2021, 07:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Will never pass because no way to fund - but that is a form of UBI not SS.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:09 AM

24,530 posts, read 18,093,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
It’s inflation adjusted.
It’s sort of not. Until you’re 60, Social Security benefit is tied to the average wage index. Once you’re 60, your benefit is calculated and is thereafter adjusted for inflation. So if you’re born in 1960, this is the year your benefit calculation locks in and it’s based on average wage index which is only indirectly related to inflation. After that, it’s inflation adjusted annually.

The late Boomers have benefited from Obama and Trump juicing the economy for 12 years which pumped up the average wage index due to labor shortages. Even the bad CODID-19 impact is projected to only drop AWI for late Boomers born in 1960 by 1/2%. The Great Recession year was the only time AWI has dropped significantly.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:00 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm 41 and people are telling me that SS will disappear by the time I'll retire

but what will replace it ? i'm sure we will get something for paying into the system all these yrs ? right ?
It is not going anywhere.

There is a strong motivation to kill the program by the business community because they pay fully half of all the intake. For every 6.2% you or I pay, the employer matches it with an equal dollar amount. This is something that is rarely discussed: If they can convince the American public to abandon the system it would be an enormous tax windfall for employers, so naturally they would like to discourage the public with doom and gloom predictions.

Predictions of 'collapse' are usually based upon some projected date that the surplus will be used up, but around that time the boomers (like myself) will be mostly dropping off the list of claimants. The system could still function without a surplus (and possibly some temporary reductions in benefits) and as demand falls the surplus could potentially be re-built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics