Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 09:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

how can inflation be transitory,minimum wage was $3.95,then 8.95 and now $15,can you roll back to $8.95?
Sling just raised its subscription by 3 dollars,I think,it is not going to go back to its old price..
Nor will your landlord rolling back rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 05:20 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Hyperinflation could occur in the USA with massive productivity destruction. Same as Weimar. Loss of a major War on our soil, and massive physical destruction. An asteroid could do it too. Money printing itself should not cause hyper, but certainly can aggravate endemic inflation.
We're in a position due to the pandemic and climate change where supply disruptions in our fragile and complex global supply change is very possible and maybe even likely. A worst-likely scenario could plausibly include hyperinflation. As you say, it would be due to supply disruption, not The Fed as goldbugs usually worry about. Pandemic disruptions would likely be short-term, but climate change would obviously be more permanent. Droughts in farming areas, higher tides flooding coastal industrial zones, topsoil shortages, etc.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:27 PM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We're in a position due to the pandemic and climate change where supply disruptions in our fragile and complex global supply change is very possible and maybe even likely. A worst-likely scenario could plausibly include hyperinflation. As you say, it would be due to supply disruption, not The Fed as goldbugs usually worry about. Pandemic disruptions would likely be short-term, but climate change would obviously be more permanent. Droughts in farming areas, higher tides flooding coastal industrial zones, topsoil shortages, etc.
Climate change I would think in most cases would be gradual enough so that people can adapt. They will simply move away over time and live in other areas. Were I live in rural AZ we saw with the Pandemic, many Californians moving or buying homes here. Which was abrupt. Of course the CA fires are even more abrupt. And of course water there is already a very serious issue in some areas. But our AZ heat hasn't really changed in the 40 years I've lived there. What we've seen is that the average low temperature has risen, but not the absolute highest temp.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Climate change I would think in most cases would be gradual enough so that people can adapt. They will simply move away over time and live in other areas. Were I live in rural AZ we saw with the Pandemic, many Californians moving or buying homes here. Which was abrupt. Of course the CA fires are even more abrupt. And of course water there is already a very serious issue in some areas. But our AZ heat hasn't really changed in the 40 years I've lived there. What we've seen is that the average low temperature has risen, but not the absolute highest temp.
Why would it be more gradual than the pandemic? After all, the pandemic itself could well have been caused by climate change for all we know by changing the habitats of pangolins or something. I don't think COVID was necessarily caused by climate change, but a future pandemic certainly could be; it's basically guaranteed on a long-enough timeframe. More immediately, the Arab Spring that prompted an enormous migration crisis was caused partly by drought from climate change in the region. Fires and hurricanes are being accelerated by climate change.

There are all kinds of current and potential disruptions due to climate change beyond people feeling slightly warmer. If that were the extent of climate change, it wouldn't be a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics