Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
No that's all subjective as well.

If put you on a lost island and give you a Tesla, what value is that to you?

BTC has value because the USD and all other fiat currencies are melting. By the time the masses realize this, their purchasing power will be wiped away by the tax called inflation.
I think most people realize that inflation has been going on in the whole world for a very long time. But most people also will not be using Bitcoins as a substitute anytime soon. And very possibly never. In parts of the world where the sovereign currency is very inflatable, or not desired for what ever reason, it may of course have some use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I think most people realize that inflation has been going on in the whole world for a very long time. But most people also will not be using Bitcoins as a substitute anytime soon. And very possibly never. In parts of the world where the sovereign currency is very inflatable, or not desired for what ever reason, it may of course have some use.
You’re right. And most will have their savings wiped out. Nothing more, nothing less.
Housing prices in gold (or rice) haven’t gone anywhere. It’s just the USD melting before our eyes. If you understand why countries HAVE to inflate, your only question has to be, how do I protect my savings.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
You’re right. And most will have their savings wiped out. Nothing more, nothing less.
Housing prices in gold (or rice) haven’t gone anywhere. It’s just the USD melting before our eyes. If you understand why countries HAVE to inflate, your only question has to be, how do I protect my savings.
In my life stocks have paved the way ahead of inflation since the late '70's.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
I would think if Fed is tightening,Bitcoin should go down ,not up,BUT??
How does rising inflation affect Bitcoin?

Old 10-14-2021, 06:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Bitcoin owners sitting on huge profit may want to use it to pay down mortgage,car payment,cc debt.
Whether it goes up more or go down,you will have a place to live with no mortgage,a car which runs with no repo man coming after you and spare cash to hoard your daily needs-toilet paper,grocery,or buy a bunch of debit/gift cards which have no expiration date.
But then there is IRS,your capital gains are taxable

Old 10-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
A major driver. Possibly its main purpose is to replace inflating sovereign currencies.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
In my life stocks have paved the way ahead of inflation since the late '70's.
Things have changed drastically since the 70s. Debt to GDP is much higher. I don't expect this to be true in the future.
Quote:
Fed tightening would be diss-inflationary (meaning a slowdown in inflation from ~12+% to 5%). That doesn't inherently affect bitcoin; it just slows down rate at which the USD melts away.
Quote:
Bitcoin owners sitting on huge profit may want to use it to pay down mortgage,car payment,cc debt.
Whether it goes up more or go down,you will have a place to live with no mortgage,a car which runs with no repo man coming after you and spare cash to hoard your daily needs-toilet paper,grocery,or buy a bunch of debit/gift cards which have no expiration date.
But then there is IRS,your capital gains are taxable
Smart people won't do that. They will take loans against their appreciating BTC in depreciating USD (with BTC as collateral). No smart person is selling this finite resource. I get excited when the price crashes and bored when it soars. I want to buy BTC at cheap prices

Old 10-14-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Things have changed drastically since the 70s. Debt to GDP is much higher. I don't expect this to be true in the future.
More money has always been good for inflating the value of stocks.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
If it was earnings. What's inflating stocks is debt and buy backs. What happens when the interest on that debt skyrockets?

Old 10-14-2021, 05:52 PM

473 posts, read 406,069 times
Quote:
Correct....the nominal value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics