Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2021, 06:03 PM

18,823 posts, read 8,486,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
If it was earnings. What's inflating stocks is debt and buy backs. What happens when the interest on that debt skyrockets?
I won't be losing sleep this decade either.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYOIGDA188S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 06:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I won't be losing sleep this decade either.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYOIGDA188S
Why are you even in this thread?

Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
I WISH they will leave interest rate alone,set a rate which is fair for both savers and borrowers.
if I have $100,000 back then,I get 10-12% interest,then 8%.,now 0.50 %.
I am beginning to understand why some folks prefer crypto ,esp Bitcoin,it is like giving the Central Bank the middle finger

Old 10-15-2021, 01:39 AM

24,664 posts, read 9,487,472 times
SEC will allow Bitcoin ETFS. A sweet achievement for cryptocurrency

Quote:
The Securities and Exchange Commission is poised to allow the first U.S. Bitcoin futures exchange-traded fund to begin trading in a watershed moment for the cryptocurrency industry, according to people familiar with the matter.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-at-deadline

Old 10-15-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I WISH they will leave interest rate alone,set a rate which is fair for both savers and borrowers.
if I have $100,000 back then,I get 10-12% interest,then 8%.,now 0.50 %.
I am beginning to understand why some folks prefer crypto ,esp Bitcoin,it is like giving the Central Bank the middle finger
More than 70% of my net worth is in crypto. If only I had done it in 2019 or even 2020. Rates will never be raised or the US collapses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
SEC will allow Bitcoin ETFS. A sweet achievement for cryptocurrency

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-at-deadline
Wall Street thinks they are going to do the same thing they did with gold. They will lose their shirts because they won't realize that the ledger is open (people will look up their wallets) and that people will take delivery on options.

Last edited by logiatype; 10-15-2021 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-15-2021, 06:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
poor countries,their currencies are worthless (not worth less),so why not switch to Bitcoin?
not just El Salvador,take a look at the African countries!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:34 AM

18,823 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
poor countries,their currencies are worthless (not worth less),so why not switch to Bitcoin?
It would be a trade off of the relative value of their own currency vs Bitcoin moving forward. For most countries, Bitcoin might have larger swings in value. It might make sense in Venezuela or Zimbabwe, but maybe not in most other countries.

Another problem is utility. How many in their country, people and businesses, have adopted Bitcoin and use it for daily transactions? At this point in time that takes a commitment by people into Bitcoin that they might not be able to utilize effectively or efficiently for some time. So that would mean forced savings for some period of time. And forced savings into a commodity that varies in value, vs the safety of a bank.

And then the potential problems with gov't control. One of the ways to increase demands for, value of and support a sovereign currency is by adoption of its use by more people. And then creating very major demand for that currency via taxation. Taxes can only be paid in that sovereign currency. Bitcoin of course works against all that. The El Salvador experiment will be very interesting to watch. But one has to keep in mind that El Salvador essentially does not have a sovereign currency. And that is not just some minor detail!

Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
They can't get away with the fudging and corruption. The ledger is open and people would be able to hold them accountable.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:10 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,066,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
More than 70% of my net worth is in crypto. If only I had done it in 2019 or even 2020. Rates will never be raised or the US collapses.

Wall Street thinks they are going to do the same thing they did with gold. They will lose their shirts because they won't realize that the ledger is open (people will look up their wallets) and that people will take delivery on options.

Yowsa!, 70% in an investment that many governments want to kill?.
No way I'd be sleeping at night, man you have some stones!
I got tired of your fake gold bitcoins competing with my real gold.
So now I own both, but won't buy anymore BTC until I can actually use it as currency...preferably on Amazon.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Yowsa!, 70% in an investment that many governments want to kill?.
No way I'd be sleeping at night, man you have some stones!
I got tired of your fake gold bitcoins competing with my real gold.
So now I own both, but won't buy anymore BTC until I can actually use it as currency...preferably on Amazon.
I sleep so well at night (1BTC = 1BTC). When it crashed to $29K I was desperate to find money to panic buy.

Either I keep USD and watch it melt or take the risk with BTC (which they can't kill). I also started buying gold/silver recently. AFAIK, you can't use your real gold on Amazon either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics