Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:13 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Assuming that "hardly worked in his life" means he doesn't have enough work credits, it looks like SSI is what he's getting, which the SS website pegs at $794 a month for an individual, plus possibly a state supplement, all info here:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-benefits-ussi.htm

I've got a relative on disability. She was never disabled, just hated working for "the man," and so when she did work it was often at cash jobs under the table. She did manage to eek out just enough Social Security credits and went to apply as soon as she was eligible and because of her spotty employment record qualified for less than $400 a month in earned Social Security. She then pursued the disabled route and eventually got on SSDI and that bumped her up to around $1200 a month. She's happy a clam not having to work, again for "the man," but does complain about being broke too. Always fun to hear.
I can imagine. The problem is with this guy (my bil) he was always hysterical, claiming he needs special foods, hyper something, not sure what -- and so can't be stabilized, his mother (who died a few years ago but took care of him kind of) but I can never get a clear answer from him as to how much he actually gets from the gov't. I've tried, but he blabbers so much it's hard to get a clear answer. Kind of sad, because -- if someone comes asking me for money I tend to want to know how they're spending their money and where they can cut down. This time it was that he lost his wallet with the rent money in it. (Yeah sure, but you don't know...until you know.) Oh, and he has to, has to, have those special foods. Otherwise -- according to him, he's more hyper (hysterical) than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 06:09 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
its the governments responsibility to figure out what he gets, not you. Sounds as though you're putting yourself on the hook for many years to come.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:22 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
How much is the minimum amount that a single 60+ year old who hardly worked in his life would get from SSDI? He's always "losing" money and comes begging for $help, so just wondering if anyone knows. I tried checking websites but no clear answer yet. (We're not getting a clear answer from the relative in need.) He's mentally disabled. Not slow, maybe autistic before they discovered autism, not sure but he finally qualified for SSDI, but he could not keep a job, lived with his mother, mother died, and he drives me crazy, so we ain't taking him in as long as I'm alive, but he's not telling us the truth about his money situation. So how much is the minimum? Also, he gets rent paid at a nice place, but seems he only gets a certain amount from HUD, not sure of that either, but now he needs the remainder because he claims he lost his money. (blah blah) Anyone know?
I collect SSDI since 2002.

There's A BIG difference between SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income)

If it's true he has little work history, he might be better to Qualify fir SSI instead. The amount currently stands at just over $700/m, not much, and may not allow the lifestyle he's been living. There are other programs he would then qualify for.

SSDI REQUIRES a certain amount of "credits" earned towards eventual SS for retirement.
If he didn't work enough to earn those credits, he will be turned down for SSDI.
Another key important thing is that SSDI is an early reduced payout of what the eventual SS would be at retirement.
This can also work against him. Why? Because the lower the earnings, the lower his SSDI check will be. If he hasn't worked recently at higher wages than, say, 2 decades ago, his payout will be dismal.

On the other hand, let's say if his SSDI check works out, to say, $300/m based on the early payout of his eventual SS, he can and should apply for SSI with it.
The tub there is: he will still get only the $700and something. The SSI will only raise him to that payout amount.

The question then becomes, can he live on $700+/m??

He can apply each year for the rental assistance, for food stamps, for HEAP (to help with heating costs), and other benefits.

Call 2-1-1 (just those 3 digits in the area he lives and ask about what help he can get. They can give you a list of agencies to apply to.

Social Services is your BEST place to start.

Next time he wants$$, if he needs food, find out from that 2-1-1 number, to find out where the local food pantries are, and TAKE him, don't give him $$! You then become a cash cow enabler. He probably spends his $ willy billy and forgets where/what he spent.
Catholic Charities also has a good pantry, and there should definitely be one local to him.

Best to you as you help him figure it out.
Help him that way instead of forking over cash.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I know someone like this, he's now 69 and has worked odd jobs for cash most of his life and paid very little into the system. He now gets $500 per month SSI (started at 62). It would have been slightly more if he would have waited until he was 65, but not by much.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:09 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
If he gets ssi then he probably receives ssi [if he receives anything] If receiving ssi then he would be receiving 700 and something a month [could be small variation because many states kick in an extra 20 or 30 dollars a month]

SOmeone said that if he were able to prove he was disabled before 22 that he could be receiving childs benefits. That is true ONLY if his parent is desabled on SSDI or has passed having worked enough quarters to qualify for SSDI.

It sounds like he does indeed have a psychological or developmental disorder. Unless you know otherwise, it is entirely possible [probable] that he does not have the "skill set" to go through the qualification progress. Possibly you could help him in obtaining an attorney and helping him to collect neccesary information.

I agree with Lillie that rather than giving cash you might want to pay a bill directly. So many emotionally ill and developmentally disabled people have low or even no executive function skills which can make it difficult to use money most efficiently.

I would also ask if there are other family members who care more about him than you do as he probably is feeling pretty lost right now. I am an Autistic autism and disabilities activist and I help a number of people to qualify for and to help them manage their finances.[one I am actually the Payee for]

If he is Autistic he might find life much easier [and so much better] if he were to spend more time with people from the same "tribe." Maybe you can help him find then. [check if there is a GRASP in your area or anything related to ASAN.] Please trust me that it is such a relief to find out their are others like yourself in this world.

I have 5 Autistics living in my home, including myself, where we maintain pretty strict "autistic space' and so we are able to thrive and be our true awesome Autistic selves. "Experts" haave been studying us for a few years [our ultimate goal is an entire Autistic community but I think I will pass before this dream comes to fruition] and I'm hoping that more by/for Autistic intentional communities on a tiny scale like ours are being established throughout the country. Possibly in your area?

Please do not ever, whether he needs assistance or not, treat or think of him as 'less than", because he is not.

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 09-08-2021 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Vicki, having spent much of my career working with people with disabilities your advice is excellent!!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:54 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
<snip>
SOmeone said that if he were able to prove he was disabled before 22 that he could be receiving childs benefits. That is true ONLY if his parent is desabled on SSDI or has passed having worked enough quarters to qualify for SSDI.

<snip>.
Original post:
"Not slow, maybe autistic before they discovered autism, not sure but he finally qualified for SSDI, but he could not keep a job, lived with his mother, mother died,..."
Since I am a former SSDI attorney, I reviewed the updated regs before making this suggestion. I hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Original post:
"Not slow, maybe autistic before they discovered autism, not sure but he finally qualified for SSDI, but he could not keep a job, lived with his mother, mother died,..."
Since I am a former SSDI attorney, I reviewed the updated regs before making this suggestion. I hope this helps.
Mother died. Sorry, missed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics