Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 08:52 AM

124 posts, read 90,160 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking a lot about the direction the economy is heading in recently and I feel it is unfair on the population. As an economist I develop alternative options for governments and politicians to apply to prevent hard hitting policies, which can be damaging to the economy. I have written an article which pushes for a new economic growth strategy instead of a balancing economic strategy. You can read the article for free at the link below.

https://morganisteconomics.blogspot....ment-debt.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 10:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganist View Post
...and I feel it (the economy) is unfair on the population.
And I feel the population, the overlarge surplus to need portion, is unfair to the economy.
Sort out a way to lift that BURDEN on the rest and both ends will be better off.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:17 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
At this point it doesn't matter. Governments are too consumed with corruption for good or sensible policy to be implemented.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
At this point it doesn't matter. Governments are too consumed with corruption for good or sensible policy to be implemented.
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
I don't think anyone thinks the various public debts will be paid off. They will either be outgrown or inflated away.

The problem with outgrowing debts is that you need a growing population to grow the economy. And technological innovation cannot be treated as exogenous. It is endogenous and a downstream effect of population growth since new ideas almost always come from rising cohorts.

That leaves inflation. The problem with inflation is that it is correlated with lower rates of economic growth.

The two debt strategies are to an extent inimical to each other, so it would be hard to pursue an "all of the above" strategy.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I don't think anyone thinks the various public debts will be paid off.
I don't think anyone wants to pull up their big girl panties and actually face the problem.
Pretending it doesn't matter, that the grown-ups will come up with *something*, is much more fun.
Quote:
The problem with outgrowing debts is ...
It ignores the 20,000 other effects an ever rising population brings with it.
Quote:
...since new ideas almost always come from rising cohorts.
Meh.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:53 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat." -- John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy, 1981–1987

Old 09-12-2021, 11:38 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I don't think anyone wants to pull up their big girl panties and actually face the problem.
Pretending it doesn't matter, that the grown-ups will come up with *something*, is much more fun.
It ignores the 20,000 other effects an ever rising population brings with it.
Meh.
Do you honestly think the debt will be managed without inflation?

In order to pay it down without destroying demand through excessive thrift, you need to pay off a little bit every year for decades. Do you think a democracy is politically capable of maintaining that discipline?

Growing our way out of the debt won't happen either, in case that wasn't clear. Population growth is stalling and falling because of other factors that won't change for a long time.

The only option which is politically possible is inflating the debt away. I would characterize this as a cynical take not a lazy take. I don't see debt paydown as possible.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganist View Post
I have been thinking a lot about the direction the economy is heading in recently and I feel it is unfair on the population. As an economist I develop alternative options for governments and politicians to apply to prevent hard hitting policies, which can be damaging to the economy. I have written an article which pushes for a new economic growth strategy instead of a balancing economic strategy. You can read the article for free at the link below.

https://morganisteconomics.blogspot....ment-debt.html
The article is an overly generalized solution to a very complex problem.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:20 AM

124 posts, read 90,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The article is an overly generalized solution to a very complex problem.
You have to keep the articles short to encourage people to read them, it only provides the basic principle.

In terms of controlling inflation when it occurs. In the United Kingdom they have been using my school of economic thought that uses pension saving to control inflation. You can see how effective it is at controlling inflation, sustaining economic growth, reducing unemployment and keeping the interest rate low below. Plus it massively reduced house repossession rates.

You want the second Scribd document down on the linked page below.

https://morganisteconomics.blogspot.com/p/success.html

In terms of the situation being complicated. I have developed a whole new economic model, many mechanisms and a new school of economic thought to deal with the current problem. You can read two of my books for free at the link below. One book has been used successfully over the past decade in the United Kingdom and the other is on the list of resources for the Euro at the EUI. It is also evidence that I can influence macroeconomic policy to solve problems.

The books Modern Applied Macroeconomics and Euro Crisis are available for you to read for free at the link below.

https://morganisteconomics.blogspot....s-to-read.html

You can also read many other articles I have written at my website for free at the link below.

https://morganisteconomics.blogspot.com/

I have not just produced macroeconomic work, it has been implemented and proven to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics