Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,991,355 times

Advertisements

And what about women who aren’t working? Why does nobody have a problem with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 08:47 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,023,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Could you imagine not working for years and years?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

How do they live? What are they doing for money?

-Unemployment insurance
-Early retirement, pensions, disability and lawsuits
-Savings, trading stocks, and bitcoin
-Working for cash, aka the under-the-table economy
-Living off family members
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.

What is 'working age'? 18-75?

What is wrong with Early Retirement and pensions? I worked hard for years, saved instead of buying fancy cars, gadgets, etc. So when I was caught in a RIF when some of the folks were scrambling to find new jobs I could take the severance and early retirement and retire. I worked part time for a few years mainly to get out of the house and have something to do but when COVID hit I decided to quit instead of taking chances. I volunteer, have hobbies and am active in local gov't

The same with disabilities I know several people who have disabilities because of the jobs they had and are on long term disability. It wasn't their fault that they had to use strong chemicals or work in poorly ventilated spaces. And most of the folks I know on disability would rather be able to hold a job than suffer the problems they have had.

Savings, stock trading, etc - What is the difference between someone trading stocks and buying and selling used cars, or used books? Or living off savings - If the savings were acquired legally why shouldn't they be allowed to live off them.

Just because they don't follow your life and work style doesn't mean it is wrong or that they didn't work for it.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:55 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,510,625 times
I stopped working for a paycheck almost 3 years ago. Life is pretty great.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,708,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wondered how so many people in the "great resignation" are able to pay the rent and eat. I know panhandlers next to the freeway ramps can make $200/day, but haven't seen an increase in those lately.
Ten people in a 3 BR house. And 35 cars in the yard/on the street.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 PM

696 posts, read 489,164 times
I’m the early retirement on a pension kinda guy. Life is awesome! I can hardly wait till I can start drawing on my early Social Security, then I’ll have even more fun money to play with. I do what ever I want, every day of the week. And yes, money does buy happiness.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:31 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,325,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
There's way too many of these ”handyman” guys that work under the table and then collect every kind of welfare benefit under the sun. Or the guys who are ”disabled” yet they drive around town all day picking up scrap metal for cigarette money.

It's getting so there's not enough worker bees to support all of the parasites.
I have found the majority of them don't do that great a job. But you can advertise yourself as a handyman and try to get free or reduced rent in exchange for your handyman skills.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:34 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
I don't have a problem with people (men or women) not working if they're not gaming the system to get government benefits or working under the table.

However, I do find it ironic that Yahoo! is griping about men not working when the values and policies they and other mainstream media outlets have been promoting for decades have greatly contributed to the situation (lack of work ethic) they are complaining about.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:38 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
What is 'working age'? 18-75?
The article definted it as age 16-64.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:57 PM

11,129 posts, read 7,858,654 times
I inherited mine @22 and haven’t worked for a paycheck since I was 25. I am 32, a stay at home mom, laundress, cook, diaper changer, house cleaner and farm hand. I am working harder now than I ever did for a pay check!
( But a lot more content )

Old 09-28-2021, 01:01 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,568,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Could you imagine not working for years and years?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

How do they live? What are they doing for money?

-Unemployment insurance
-Early retirement, pensions, disability and lawsuits
-Savings, trading stocks, and bitcoin
-Working for cash, aka the under-the-table economy
-Living off family members
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.
This list sounds bogus because everything listed above required either some sort of capital or work at some point.
The only one that I agree with is "Living off of Family Members".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics