Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 12:37 PM

495 posts, read 327,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The article definted it as age 16-64.
16-18 are still in high-school. Many go on to college for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 12:52 PM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
16-18 are still in high-school. Many go on to college for a few years.

thats the problem, they go for a FEW years and not ALL the required years, say "oh man this is bogus!" or "too much like work" or "I deserve a universal income" and voila...a new leftie is born and the situation repeats itself.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:57 PM

495 posts, read 327,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
thats the problem, they go for a FEW years and not ALL the required years, say "oh man this is bogus!" or "too much like work" or "I deserve a universal income" and voila...a new leftie is born and the situation repeats itself.
Or . Mostly they go for a few years and then start working.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
TBH, even that is not bad. America has a very independent and an ideology that honors individualism when most of the other world is more inclusive.

For example, there is nothing wrong with adult children living at home well into their adult years until they start their own families.

The tragedy is, that 18 year olds are cast out of a 4 BD 3500sqft home with just two adult left in it. Why? Why can't the young adult continue to live in the home and contribute to the mortgage if their is one? Two people benefit. The parents and the young adult. THe parents get extra income and the young adult pays lower rent and can save more for when the time does come to move out.

Also, you have grandparents living in completely separate homes and/or a retirement home. Again, you have two people living in a 5ksqft home, yet, two homes are being maintained unnecessarily.

Move grandma and grandpa in and rent their house out. Guess what? Now you have income from your children and the grandparents. The grandparents no longer have to maintain a mortgage or if their home is paid off, they don't have to maintain a house. Their house is generating income. And now you have even more income to put towards retirement.

But we are so accustomed to everyone having their own spaces. I understand the need for privacy. But at what cost? Kids still go to college and have roommates. And now more than ever, they are leaving college and still have roommates.

The alternative is you have parents who are entering into retirement having to prop up their kids who are saddled with student loans helping them maintain their own housing. ANd you have the grandparents getting older still trying to maintain a single family home. Why?

There are tons of homes with unused basements that can be converted into mini apartments. Some with backyards big enough for a tiny home.

Our kids will be welcome to stay with us until they are able enough to go out on their own without so much debt.
Very good post. Are you an immigrant or a child of immigrants? Many non-American's live with their families which is why I asked.

I think American's simply are to use to their way, their space, their privacy and they are too comfortable and have too much stuff. That's just my opinion after living in Asia and spending time in other parts of the world.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:48 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Very good post. Are you an immigrant or a child of immigrants? Many non-American's live with their families which is why I asked.

I think American's simply are to use to their way, their space, their privacy and they are too comfortable and have too much stuff. That's just my opinion after living in Asia and spending time in other parts of the world.
I am not an immigrant. I just live near a large immigrant community. People like to point fingers at the 5 people living in one house with 5 cars. But that's the smart way to do it right? I mean we look at college grads having two and three roommates and say that's okay but when immigrants do it, it's a nuisance or somehow un-American? lol Well, I guess sharing a living space is un-American is some peoples' eyes.

It is a very efficient use of space and resources. You have wealthy people living in these HUGE homes and they have like one kid or their kids are gone. lol And there's all this space that is occupied by just two people who can only occupy two rooms at once. It's insane. Unless there are issues with family members.

I've had multiple family members and friends live in my house at various times and my house is only 1000sgft. But I was just one person with 4 available rooms.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
TBH, even that is not bad. America has a very independent and an ideology that honors individualism when most of the other world is more inclusive.

For example, there is nothing wrong with adult children living at home well into their adult years until they start their own families.

The tragedy is, that 18 year olds are cast out of a 4 BD 3500sqft home with just two adult left in it. Why? Why can't the young adult continue to live in the home and contribute to the mortgage if their is one? Two people benefit. The parents and the young adult. THe parents get extra income and the young adult pays lower rent and can save more for when the time does come to move out.

Also, you have grandparents living in completely separate homes and/or a retirement home. Again, you have two people living in a 5ksqft home, yet, two homes are being maintained unnecessarily.

Move grandma and grandpa in and rent their house out. Guess what? Now you have income from your children and the grandparents. The grandparents no longer have to maintain a mortgage or if their home is paid off, they don't have to maintain a house. Their house is generating income. And now you have even more income to put towards retirement.

But we are so accustomed to everyone having their own spaces. I understand the need for privacy. But at what cost? Kids still go to college and have roommates. And now more than ever, they are leaving college and still have roommates.

The alternative is you have parents who are entering into retirement having to prop up their kids who are saddled with student loans helping them maintain their own housing. ANd you have the grandparents getting older still trying to maintain a single family home. Why?

There are tons of homes with unused basements that can be converted into mini apartments. Some with backyards big enough for a tiny home.

Our kids will be welcome to stay with us until they are able enough to go out on their own without so much debt.
Funny thing is that is how most immigrants live for the most part, go into a Hispanic or Asian community and you normally see 3 generations living in one house and specifically latins have multiple families living in one house with nobody in the house making much more than minimum wage but they paid off the 30 year mortgage in 6 years and there are 5 new trucks in the driveway. that's what happens when families pool their resources and don't kick their kids out soon as they turn 18.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:57 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
I returned to the U.S. in my early fifties for my kids' education after working as an engineer in Asia for a couple of decades. That was six years ago. Haven't worked since, despite sending out countless resumes. Fortunately I don't have to work, otherwise I'd be in a world of hurt.

I never dreamed age discrimination for experienced engineers was a thing but it was like hitting a brick wall.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Could you imagine not working for years and years?
Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either.
How do they live? What are they doing for money?
-Social Security, pension
-Savings
Age 72. Don’t plan to work for 20+ years.
Consider myself of “working age”.
Lots of money ($1.95M) in low-cost stock index funds.
Why work when you don’t have to?

Old 09-30-2021, 10:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

-Unemployment insurance
-Early retirement, pensions, disability and lawsuits
-Savings, trading stocks, and bitcoin
-Working for cash, aka the under-the-table economy
-Living off family members
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.
If one of the ways they live is "working for cash," they have a job and are working. They just aren't paying taxes.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:54 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

-Unemployment insurance
-Early retirement, pensions, disability and lawsuits
-Savings, trading stocks, and bitcoin
-Working for cash, aka the under-the-table economy
-Living off family members
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.
I know a guy like this. He got laid off 11 years ago. He always has an excuse why he can't work full time. My wife has breast cancer, my child is special needs. Such nonsense. He works a couple of part-time jobs that only bring him in when they are desperate for people and it's like pulling teeth to get him to come to work. He can't work certain days because he has to play golf.

When his 85 year old father dies the party is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics