Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:22 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,846 times

Advertisements

The economic fallout of this situation is not being treated with the same gravity as the health issues? I see it as every bit as catastrophic if not more so and equally important.

Why are we not seeing expert economists doing PSAs on how to recover? What steps to take now?

Why are we not looking ahead? Making a plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The economic fallout of this situation is not being treated with the same gravity as the health issues? I see it as every bit as catastrophic if not more so and equally important.

Why are we not seeing expert economists doing PSAs on how to recover? What steps to take now?

What is YOUR plan?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What is YOUR plan?
I guess it starts with asking a serious question, not giving in to panic and not feeding trolls.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:38 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times
Quote:

Did you miss the CARES act and all of the federal reserve intervention?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Did you miss the CARES act and all of the federal reserve intervention?
I did but I realize that its spitting in the wind. $1200 is not going to put a dent in what most people have lost. Loans are...loans. And nothing has begun to flow yet.

We don't get any of that as our income is too high. If we did we would donate it. But we also have multi million dollars in commercial mortgages we still owe. That's not something the government is bailing out. Our tenants are getting rent forgiveness as much as we can humanly afford. We are watching the work of many lives go up in smoke. Businesses that will never open again. Multiple generations work and savings gone. These are not wealthy people. Future generations are being burdened for who knows how long. I'm not seeing anyone take this seriously enough right now when theres a chance to start heading it off.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Krugman has an interesting take on this in today's column, but those who think the government "prints money" won't get it.

Notes on the Coronacoma (Wonkish) https://nyti.ms/2UzS0cH

Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:

The government never looks ahead. The are reactionary and always a step or three, too slow.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:58 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
I did but I realize that its spitting in the wind. $1200 is not going to put a dent in what most people have lost. Loans are...loans. And nothing has begun to flow yet.

We don't get any of that as our income is too high. If we did we would donate it. But we also have multi million dollars in commercial mortgages we still owe. That's not something the government is bailing out. Our tenants are getting rent forgiveness as much as we can humanly afford. We are watching the work of many lives go up in smoke. Businesses that will never open again. Multiple generations work and savings gone. These are not wealthy people. Future generations are being burdened for who knows how long. I'm not seeing anyone take this seriously enough right now when theres a chance to start heading it off.

I spent a few years in commercial banking. Taking out a loan is a risk to be considered before taking it.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The government never looks ahead. The are reactionary and always a step or three, too slow.
That's because their paychecks will keep rolling in. The various state/local governments look like heroes for shutting everything down, but when it comes to the millions of people completely screwed over, here comes the the feet-dragging.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I spent a few years in commercial banking. Taking out a loan is a risk to be considered before taking it.
Maybe you could explain, in really small words, how commercial loans compare to the way governments take on debt. Oh, and your interpretation of how a nearly instantaneous global crisis could be "considered" beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics