Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 07:58 PM

18,763 posts, read 27,196,342 times

Advertisements

I mean, I get it, he is likely a very good soccer player.
HE KICKS BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's how much he is paid A DAY! Ball or no ball.

It's half a BILLION contract. Damn, some small countries don't have budget like this. I don't know, say, any world most brilliant surgeon who saved hudreds of lives can't even IMAGINE honorarium like this. Not even fraction of it.

MADRID -- Lionel Messi’s most recent contract with Barcelona is worth up to 555 million euros ($673 million) over four seasons, the El Mundo newspaper reported on Sunday.
The Spanish daily said it had access to the document Messi signed with the Catalan club in 2017, which included fixed incomes and variables that could reach nearly 138 million euros ($167 million) each season. The newspaper said it is the most expensive contract ever agreed with an athlete in any sport.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...euros-79789296

And we have high talks about economy and being frugal and what not? Helping poor? Green Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 08:58 PM

19,899 posts, read 8,793,438 times
when you're the best in the world at something billions of people care about it generally pays very well.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:14 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,067,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

It's half a BILLION contract. Damn, some small countries don't have budget like this. I don't know, say, any world most brilliant surgeon who saved hudreds of lives can't even IMAGINE honorarium like this. Not even fraction of it.

MADRID -- Lionel Messi’s most recent contract with Barcelona is worth up to 555 million euros ($673 million) over four seasons, the El Mundo newspaper reported on Sunday.
The Spanish daily said it had access to the document Messi signed with the Catalan club in 2017, which included fixed incomes and variables that could reach nearly 138 million euros ($167 million) each season. The newspaper said it is the most expensive contract ever agreed with an athlete in any sport.

And we have high talks about economy and being frugal and what not? Helping poor? Green Earth?
Yeah.... it's obscene....but it's the free market -- if Messi brings in enough revenue to his team, his league, his television contract..... then the market says he's worth it. I would hope he's a decent person and gives back some of his wealth however.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:34 AM

48 posts, read 28,289 times
He provides the best entertainment in the world for hundreds of millions, if not close to billions, so yes, that's what you get for being the best in the most popular sport in the world.

Soccer just not big in the North America, so people here don't realize how big it is. Christiano Ronaldo, another famous player, one of the best ever, has the most reach via his social media. Clubs buy that too, so it makes sense for them.

In case of Messi, if you follow Barçelona in general, you can see how things are going for them without him. Obviously, there are several factors in play, but overall, he indeed earned his money. It propped the whole salary list, though, and that brought a lot of problems with it.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,428,250 times
I'm clearly in the wrong business!

If only my bad back, hips and knees didn't prevent me from playing well...

Oh well, he can say "soccer been very very good to me!!_

Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,727,124 times
I thought he is at PSG now. Well money is fiat now, so any amount you want can be created as long as there is enough bytes on the hard drive.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:20 PM

19,899 posts, read 8,793,438 times
I've been in Barcelona when they've played Madrid, you needed reservations to get into a bar hours before the game. 100,000 seat stadium Camp Nou. it's a madhouse.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:03 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,105,697 times
And Messi was a tax cheat, probably just because he hired his father to manage his obscene wealth.

Meanwhile, his old club FC Barcelona, has had severe financial trouble due in part from paying him so much for so long (and other players), despite being one of the biggest, most successful soccer clubs in the world.

Now he's on Paris St. Germain (PSG) who's player salaries are over 3 times higher than the next biggest team in France. So all those wages in a league they should win with ease even if half the team dropped dead tomorrow. Granted they also want to try to win the Champion's League but that can unravel fast and they'll be left wondering why they blew so much money on a 34 year old player.

I like the sport but the obscene player salaries have embittered fans especially in Europe and it's starting to not look sustainable for much longer. It's largely the same 12 to 20 super rich clubs pretending they are engaged in fair competitions.

No doubt by 2050 there will be a big sea change in club soccer but it won't be graceful or planned.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:28 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,383,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Because you can’t name “the world’s best surgeon” and you certainly don’t share articles written about said surgeon for the media to make money off it.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:29 AM

10,320 posts, read 5,498,265 times
Why the silence from CD's Wealth Hate cadre? Shouldn't they be along lambasting Messi, claiming he doesn't "need" that money, and advocating for the government to confiscate 90% of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics