Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2021, 09:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The market does a pretty good job of solving this problem, when government stays out of the way.

If one wants to have a middle class lifestyle on a minimum wage job, they can do it. They need roommates and they need to live in a low cost area. That’s reality. Want to live in the Bay Area? You’re going to have to lower your expectations, perhaps drastically, but it’s certainly possible. And people are doing it every day. Not understanding that is ignoring reality.
The thread topic is “The Revolt of the American Worker.” I think I understand the reality just fine, thanks. People are no longer lowering their expectations and many positions remain unfilled.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:31 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The thread topic is “The Revolt of the American Worker.” I think I understand the reality just fine, thanks. People are no longer lowering their expectations and many positions remain unfilled.
Early this summer I was talking to a business owner about the labor shortage and changes that may be expected when the additional unemployment benefits expire. I felt that most people will have to re-enter the workforce at that time. He felt that many people got used to either working from home or working with one income that the labor pool will end up being smaller. Of course, it appears to be a combination of the two but with any % change you are going to run into problems in certain areas.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:36 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
What people earn is a reflection of how they are valued in society. There is nothing at all “warped” about that.

Do you really not understand that?
You think two wall street moguls who earn millions scamming each other are more valuable to society than thousands of teachers? You don't think that's warped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
So if you were to hire a tutor for your child, would you pay an hourly rate that would earn them more than what a wall street investor would earn?
This argument doesn't make any sense. I can't afford to pay a tutor 10x my own salary, so I think tutors are less valuable than investors?

Or are you saying that because wall street investors are paid by billionaires instead of by me, they are more valuable because only the opinions of criminal pedophile billionaires matter? I mean, you'd be correct, but that's exactly what makes our society so sick.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:49 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
There are people with household incomes of $60,000 living all over the country. How could that be possible?

Save your outrage- you’re simply wrong.
If you read the beginning of the conversation, the poster is talking about 4 unrelated people living in one apartment on $15k apiece.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Or are you saying that because wall street investors are paid by billionaires instead of by me, they are more valuable because only the opinions of criminal pedophile billionaires matter? I mean, you'd be correct, but that's exactly what makes our society so sick.
I think its pretty obvious that I am saying only the opinions of criminal pedophile billionaires matter.

Anyway, back on planet earth. I am just trying to apply your post regarding the value of teachers vs wall street investors to real world economics. You are saying that teachers are more valuable in a discussion about compensation so how can they be paid appropraitely if you arent willing to do so?

Old 11-02-2021, 10:24 AM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The thread topic is “The Revolt of the American Worker.” I think I understand the reality just fine, thanks.
Apparently not.

Quote:
People are no longer lowering their expectations and many positions remain unfilled.
That will change when the government stops paying people to stay home and not work.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You think two wall street moguls who earn millions scamming each other are more valuable to society than thousands of teachers? You don't think that's warped?
Simply repeating what you’ve previously stated does nothing to bolster your position, and my position is the same as the first time I answered you.

You, and everyone else are free to spend your dollars as you choose. If you value teachers more than you value Wall Street moguls, spend your money in a way that reflects those beliefs.

I bet that the reality of how you actually spend your money will trump your online virtue signaling.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you read the beginning of the conversation, the poster is talking about 4 unrelated people living in one apartment on $15k apiece.
Yeah, that’s what I said previously. What’s your point with this post?

Old 11-02-2021, 10:58 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
If one wants to have a middle class lifestyle on a minimum wage job, they can do it. They need roommates and they need to live in a low cost area.

How would living in a low cost area equate to middle class?.
This seems like a paradox, as generally; low cost areas full of renters are poor...or at best lower income.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Apparently not.

That will change when the government stops paying people to stay home and not work.
Most states already ended benefits months ago. It made no significant difference. A lot of people have switched career fields or retired earlier than they were planning to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics