Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 05:27 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times

Advertisements

Everyone will have their opinion. For me, having lived through hyperinflation elsewhere, I'll do what I did then, RE and having an in demand career! I survived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 05:52 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Don't want to get into the politics... not trying to offend anyone, or support any cause with this post. Just wanted to know... let's say I believe we are looking at hyper-inflation in the next year or so... what can I do to protect myself?

- I have two homes, do I keep them, or do I sell them? Will they simply increase in equity... e.g. because the price goes up since the value of the dollar is less?

- I have a lot of my money in the stock market. How does the stock market react in hyper-inflation... does it go up with inflation? Or does it go down in value?

- I have $75k in cash. I assume this will immediately lose value in hyper-inflation. What should I be doing with it?

- I have some assets, e.g. tangible items that have value which I can turn around and sell a few years from now (vintage Swiss watches that I bought cheap and restored, etc.)

GOLD and CRYPTO: No thanks on gold, and I do already have some crypto in BTC and own Miami Coin and Bitcoin ... and not planning on buying anymore.

Thank you for any responses / advice. Would be interested in knowing what you guys are doing to hedge against this as well?

THANK YOU!!!

Why no thanks on gold? Not making the gold bug argument and stacking 90% of net worth on it, but makes a good saving account in my opinion. There is a place for it. I would say no thanks on the bond market, and I have for quite some time.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:53 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I plan on keeping my homes. RE is the best hedge against inflation! That pathway worked for me elsewhere!

Not much for short term liquidity though.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The other poster's links deal with hedges and plays to mitigate ordinary but high general price inflation.........if you are really worried about hyper-inflation hedges might be live-stock, farming, landownership, being a nurse, doctor or ace auto mechanic etc. and of course various commodities.

FWIIW there is no sign of hyper-inflation.

True Hyperinflation? Shotguns, hunting rifles, assault rifles, various handguns and plenty of ammo.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:14 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
True Hyperinflation? Shotguns, hunting rifles, assault rifles, various handguns and plenty of ammo.
Right on.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:18 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Honestly, nobody knows for sure.

I think the best thing you can do is make yourself less dependent on the money system. That generally means being as self sufficient as possible. Growing your own food, if possible. Using less stuff in general. It's basically a radical lifestyle change, but I think it will become a necessity. Might as well get started now.

I don't say this as a broke person who is sort of wishing this would happen just so I can say 'told you so'. I have significant money invested in the stock market, bonds, savings accounts, etc. I'm not happy about what I'm seeing. I live in an urban area now, but am making concrete plans to get out. I really do think the sh*t is going to hit the fan in my lifetime (I'm 51).

Old 10-25-2021, 06:19 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
let's say I believe we are looking at hyper-inflation in the next year or so... what can I do to protect myself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Everyone will have their opinion. For me, having lived through hyperinflation elsewhere, I'll do what I did then, RE and having an in demand career! I survived!
True hyperinflation? Really? Or just high inflation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperi...ionary_periods

With true hyperinflation, prices double in a matter of hours to days.

Time to double in price:

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 10-25-2021 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-25-2021, 06:39 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Convert all your stocks and cash to: gold, guns, ammo, and MREs.
Study Zimbabwe and Venezuela before you lose electricity and internet.
I'd augment that with this:

Priority #1 is a defensible, autonomous, disaster resistant domicile. Without that, all your goods and your survival are at risk.
Priority #2 is a supply of necessities, accessible whether or not the delivery system is functioning.
Priority #3 is a 24 month stock of food, consisting of a mix of long term storage items, and moderate amount of independent food production (ex: seed sprouts, hydroponics, aquaponics, aquaculture, permaculture (edible landscaping), chickens, etc).
. . . .
Though a fortress of solitude is one way for solo survival, I suspect that for long term prosperity and security, one will have to join up with others to form a cooperative for mutual defense. Otherwise, you're going to be an easy target for the roaming predators, who will be seeking to live good off of the supplies of others.

One effective tactic is to build a fortified walled village. A good example is the Chinese Hakka Tulou, a circular fortification that has a 1000 year track record. Modernize that design into a dual ring village, with two circular buildings / walls, a circular street between, and a central park. Add a roof top garden, and continuous balcony on each level, and you have the best of all worlds - urban, suburban and rural amenities. Family friendly, with the access controlled central park just a short walk away (no snatch and grab).

A four to five story dual ring village, sized for 300-400 "Ringers" would deter most opportunistic marauders, as well as be disaster resistant to wind, water, earthquake, mudslide, storm surge, wild fire, vermin, and repel 2 and 4 legged predators. And the circular design is energy and resource efficient, minimizing exposed surfaces, reducing the cost to maintain comfort.

When the eCONomy tanks it won't matter to you and your friends.

Tulou:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujian_tulou

Old 10-25-2021, 07:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
"With true hyperinflation, prices double in a matter of hours to days."
When it happened where I lived, try daily increases....and exchange rates to match! Was not an easy time!

Old 10-25-2021, 08:13 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Don't want to get into the politics... not trying to offend anyone, or support any cause with this post. Just wanted to know... let's say I believe we are looking at hyper-inflation in the next year or so... what can I do to protect myself?

- I have two homes, do I keep them, or do I sell them? Will they simply increase in equity... e.g. because the price goes up since the value of the dollar is less?

- I have a lot of my money in the stock market. How does the stock market react in hyper-inflation... does it go up with inflation? Or does it go down in value?

- I have $75k in cash. I assume this will immediately lose value in hyper-inflation. What should I be doing with it?

- I have some assets, e.g. tangible items that have value which I can turn around and sell a few years from now (vintage Swiss watches that I bought cheap and restored, etc.)

GOLD and CRYPTO: No thanks on gold, and I do already have some crypto in BTC and own Miami Coin and Bitcoin ... and not planning on buying anymore.

Thank you for any responses / advice. Would be interested in knowing what you guys are doing to hedge against this as well?

THANK YOU!!!
Well, let's see.

Housing? Check!

Stock market? Check!

Cash? Check!

Commodities? You could do better, here. Gold isn't so bad to have a little bit of.

Goods? (ie. watches) Sure, if they make you happy to have.

Crypto? This may be a gamble, but sure. Anything to diversify.

Actually, it sounds like you have a few different egg baskets, so you're already diversified. Seems like you have a pretty good plan in place already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics