Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 02:56 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My life is completely simplified based on the fact that I only have another 10-20 years to live.

I was watching Jeff Gundlach and he sold US stocks and bought European stocks (as a hedge to the falling value of the US dollar) which seems like an interesting strategy. He said so far it is not not working; but, he's not sure how well it is working.

I would think RE going to be the best hedge. Because it's real and has value to your life regardless of what the market value is (to me this is low risk regardless of prices). I would only worry about RE prices on investment rental property. But, that's just me
Gundlach has been wrong the last few years far more then he has been correct ….

You can bet if our stocks here falter from rising rates and inflation Europe will tumble as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 04:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
A man with a year's supply of food will outlive a man with a year's supply of money.
A man with two years supply of food is king, when hyperinflation wipes out the trade value of currency.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:20 AM

The reason we have currency is because most foods won’t last a year …a farmer can trade his milk to a baker for a currency and not have to take bread now that will be moldy by the time he needs it so bartering only works to a point

Old 10-28-2021, 08:12 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The reason we have currency is because most foods won’t last a year …a farmer can trade his milk to a baker for a currency and not have to take bread now that will be moldy by the time he needs it so bartering only works to a point
Oh bee-have.
Long term storage of foods (without refrigeration!) has been part of civilization from time immemorial.

American Indians made pemmican (80% fat / 20% protein), or jerked meat.
Dairy herders fermented milk and cream to make cheese, yogurt, sour cream, kefir, buttermilk, etc.
Wheat berries could be ground into flour and baked into hard tack... the forerunner of all crackers.
Dried noodles can last and last.
The venerable fruit cake was also designed for long storage.
Fruits and vegetables could be dried (and canned).
Salt fermented cabbage, cucumbers, peppers and other vegetables.
Meat could be smoked, corned, brined, made into sausages, etc.
Peruvians could also freeze - dry foods, for their larder.
Nixtamalization for dried maize (corn)
***(Improves Niacin content, and aids in mineral absorption, and prevents pellagra)
Potatoes, and other root vegetables can survive long periods, if kept in a cool, dark place ("root cellar").
Fruits and berries could be made into preserves (as the name implies - to preserve them).
There are some "exotic" methods involving buried food, like kimchi, that generate odors we won't discuss in polite company...LOL.
-----------------

__ Pemmican - Pemmican: The Original MRE
During the Second Boer War (1899–1902), British troops were given an iron ration made of four ounces of pemmican and four ounces of chocolate and sugar. The pemmican would keep in perfect condition for decades.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:51 AM

Sure , even the cavemen stored food or found ways , but eventually that is why currency and gold became stores of value for bartering.

Just so people had a non perishable medium for exchanging their goods for the goods of others

Old 10-28-2021, 12:00 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Sure , even the cavemen stored food or found ways , but eventually that is why currency and gold became stores of value for bartering.

Just so people had a non perishable medium for exchanging their goods for the goods of others

You are still missing other elements like divisibility and concentration. Aluminum is not perishable , but in transactions over a stick of gum , would be a bit bulky. That would also be the main problem with food, not because its perishable.. Food really is not inherently perishable . Only in some of its forms.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:21 PM

It was only an example of why some form of currency will always be needed ..I could have used giving a doctor food but not being sick or needing treatment at the moment as my example

Old 10-28-2021, 01:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Walking around with a gold bar and shaving off little pieces is not going to happen.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:02 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
It was only an example of why some form of currency will always be needed ..I could have used giving a doctor food but not being sick or needing treatment at the moment as my example

Nobody is prefect. it was just pointed out that there was a logical fallacy for the augment of what makes a good currency,

Its a few things. Something perishable could be used as a trading medium , and likely has been. For example tickets to the Superbowl are quite perishable , but a very liquid asset. Good as cash until the game really. Need to be liquid and fungible. Would be a bad savings instrument. Never a great role for a currency.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:11 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Walking around with a gold bar and shaving off little pieces is not going to happen.
That's why EOTWAWKI types prefer junk silver and items for barter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics