Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 01:42 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, that is where you and I part company.

YES, you OWN public land and YES you benefit from it. All the way from revenues back to the Federal Treasury to protection of endangered species, to hunting and fishing, camping and exploring the public lands.

As a conservative, there is a role for government ownership of public lands. We OWE it to the other species that we share this planet with.

READ THIS BOOK
....written by a Forest Service employee in the 1940's.

https://www.aldoleopold.org/about/al...ounty-almanac/

Plenty of places to purchase the book. Used bookstores have many copies and even Amazon offers it for sale.

Or you can buy it here: https://www.aldoleopold.org/store/a-...ounty-almanac/

As I forester I took enough economics classes to get hired by the Federal government as a Economist. There is more to life than money. Economics is important, BUT the concept of conservation and wise use of OUR natural resources conflicts with the profit motive.

It is the quality of life that is important. And for me that is a rational Federal government policy when it comes to economics AND acres and acres of public land where I can roam and appreciate God's work on this planet.
I will believe that when I receive a check from the Forestry Service that is directly related to revenue they brought in as a % of my share of ownership.

I find it interesting to see someone trying to contort public ownership of land into a conservative philosophy especially when you are talking about federal ownership vs a locality like a town or maybe county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 08:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Let me introduce you to the National Forests of the United States of America!!!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/

All 188 MILLION ACRES. They belong to you and all the other citizens of the United States.

There is even a National Forest in your home state of Pennsylvania!! Imagine that!! I take it you don't get out outdoors much, but you should for your personal health. BTW...the National Forest System is almost seven times the size of the state of Pennsylvania. How did you NOT know they exist??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Wood is a very important source of energy for the developing world.

How much of the world's energy supply comes from wood? In global terms, woodfuels represent about 7 percent of the world's total primary energy consumption. Most woodfuel use (76 percent) is in developing countries, where about 77 percent of the world's population lives.

That is a good thing, way back in the 70's wood WAS THE PRIMARY energy source for developing countries.

Even with my carbon-free electricity and solar second home...I burn two cords of wood every winter for heat.

Anyway, do take the time to learn about YOUR National Forests. They belong to you!! Their management is to benefit the American people. So you do need to learn about the National Forests, since they are much, much more than just trees.

The National Parks were America's fourth best idea, after the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Forest Service and BLM lands.

Oh, almost forgot. The National Parks were NOT established for conservation, but preservation. It was the Forest Service and BLM lands that were established for conservation.

I did work for all three agencies.
Lol.
Trying telling the people of Venezuela the worlds largest reserves of oil belong to them - they will be thrilled.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Short of a concerted space alien attack Permian Basin producers will deliver record shipments in Dec. '21 (just shy of 5 million barrels per day) with decreasing costs in many cases.
https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...rd-2021-11-15/

The Permian Basin is TRULY a wonder of fossil fuel production, having first pumping in 1923! It is the largest petroleum-producing basin in the United States and has produced a cumulative 28.9 billion barrels of oil and 75 trillion cubic feet of gas.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
At this very moment -- near 12 noon -- 64% of electricity generation in California is from renewable sources, the vast majority of it from solar and wind. There have been some days when renewables have briefly contributed well over 90% of power generation.

Utilities across the nation are contracting to build solar with battery storage because it's economical to do so now. That allows the intermittent solar and wind power to be shifted into the peak early evening hours.

In 2021 nearly all new power generation in the U.S. is solar or wind. Coal leads the nation in power plant retirements.
"In 2021 nearly all new power generation in the U.S. is solar or wind". Source? and how much does solar and wind represent of all power generating sources?

Old 05-10-2022, 07:00 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They have been beaten to death by the doomsayers here regularly
Similar to the doomsayers about Covid, who I call Branch Covidians. These people wanted to ration gasoline in 1973-4 to ameliorate peak oil. That's about 48 years ago.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Similar to the doomsayers about Covid
Go search Taggerung's thoughts on it.

Get out of the cities boys!

Old 05-11-2022, 03:13 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"In 2021 nearly all new power generation in the U.S. is solar or wind". Source? and how much does solar and wind represent of all power generating sources?
"According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) latest inventory of electric generators, EIA expects 42 gigawatts (GW) of new capacity additions to start commercial operation in 2020. Solar and wind represent almost 32 GW, or 76%, of these additions. Wind accounts for the largest share of these additions at 44%, followed by solar and natural gas at 32% and 22%, respectively. The remaining 2% comes from hydroelectric generators and battery storage." link

Old 05-11-2022, 03:16 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) latest inventory of electric generators, EIA expects 42 gigawatts (GW) of new capacity additions to start commercial operation in 2020. Solar and wind represent almost 32 GW, or 76%, of these additions. Wind accounts for the largest share of these additions at 44%, followed by solar and natural gas at 32% and 22%, respectively. The remaining 2% comes from hydroelectric generators and battery storage." link Not "nearly all", but 76% is a huge majority.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:13 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) latest inventory of electric generators, EIA expects 42 gigawatts (GW) of new capacity additions to start commercial operation in 2020. Solar and wind represent almost 32 GW, or 76%, of these additions. Wind accounts for the largest share of these additions at 44%, followed by solar and natural gas at 32% and 22%, respectively. The remaining 2% comes from hydroelectric generators and battery storage." link Not "nearly all", but 76% is a huge majority.
The problem is that none of this is always reliable. A city cannot go powerless when there is no wind or sun.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The problem is that none of this is always reliable. A city cannot go powerless when there is no wind or sun.
This is what happens to some small UK cities and towns,then they have to pay for natural gas.
when there is wind and sun,you need storage to store them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics