Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:49 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Why don't you have credit cards? What I'm I missing?
I don't want any debt. I ran my credit cards up three times during my lifetime. When I retired I cut all the cards and we never used any kind of credit again. It was just too easy to over spend money we didn't have with credit cards.

I found TD Bank was very proactive against fraud with my debit card. A couple of times I saw fraud charges pending online on the TD Bank website and called them up (they are there 24x7). They immediately cancelled the number. The next day I visited the bank (they are open 7 days a week) and they just cut me a new card with a new number in about 10 minutes. When I asked them if it was common, they said it happens all the time. I never lost a penny on fraudulent debit card transactions in over 13 years of using them.

As far as guarantees on products purchased, I use Paypal whenever I can. They stand 100% behind the buyer and anything not as advertised gets a full refund including postage both ways. Much easier to deal with than Amazon, which I also no longer use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
In your case, I agree with you. CC are not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I don't want any debt. I ran my credit cards up three times during my lifetime. When I retired I cut all the cards and we never used any kind of credit again. It was just too easy to over spend money we didn't have with credit cards.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:38 AM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Was wondering when you go out shopping, are you using
your credit or debit card or both?

With all these CC having rewards and whatnot, it makes sense
to use your CC to rack up the points and rewards.

I was reading this article and it got me thinking, should I just not be using my debit card anymore?

In what situation would you use your debit and not credit card?

If you go to the grocery store, is it credit or debit?
What about gas station?
A quick run to a store for a $30 purchase?
Drive thru for a coffee or lunch?

Are you using your credit or debit card?
I use my Discover card, but I pretend it's a debit, and I deduct the amount of the charge from my checkbook as if I used my debit and pay it in full each month. Last month I had $70 cash back. I started doing this after I used my debit card at a gas station that had a skimmer on the pump (apparently) and someone bought 2 one-way tickets to Santiago, Chili costing $2600.00 on my checking account. I found out when I got overdraft notices. The bank (Commerce at the time) was great and reimbursed me the next day, but it made me concerned about using my debit card as a credit card.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Was wondering when you go out shopping, are you using
your credit or debit card or both?

With all these CC having rewards and whatnot, it makes sense
to use your CC to rack up the points and rewards.

I was reading this article and it got me thinking, should I just not be using my debit card anymore?

What about gas station?

I almost never use the debit card. I keep it in my wallet at this point only because it functions as an ATM card. Aldi was the last place that required it and they started allowing credit cards a little while ago.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:29 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:

What about gas station?

Gas station is always cash. Where I live you pay a penalty for using credit (unless it's the brand's CC but I never buy branded gas).

Mom & Pop store I try to use cash so they don't get hit with the processing fee.

Most everyday purchases are debit card (groceries, etc). Large purchases go on a credit card.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:35 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I can only tell you how I do things. First of all I typically carry about $150 in cash so I usually pay cash for any purchase under $25.00. I have two banks accounts. One has a debit card attached to it. The other does not. When my debit card account gets high in money, I transfer money out of it and into the other account. Sometimes I transfer money the other way. Simple online transaction to transfer. It happens amost instantaneous. Could someone rip my debit card off? Yes. Will it be a pain getting the money back? Yes. Can I afford the time? Yes.

For online purchases (via PayPal) and most major purchases, I use AMEX charge card for the protection it offers me.

I have a CITI charge card I rarely use. I will make a purchase or two a month on it to keep it active.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:37 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
The only time I use my debit card to purchase anything is if I remember I need cash for some reason but there's no ATM nearby. Swing by Rite Aid, get a pack of gum and cashback. The only other use case for me is if I return something to Costco since they don't really care what card you use for the chargeback. Doesn't make sense to earn negative points on a transaction. All other times - use credit, pay off in full each month, take advantage of various post-purchase benefits (return protection on Amex is a particular favorite of mine if a retailer gets difficult or I miss the 30-day window, purchase protection is also nice in case an item is lost/broken/stolen) if needed and bank the points.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Most everyday purchases are debit card (groceries, etc).
Since grocery stores are on most common credit cards' bonus category lists, you're foregoing some pretty decent rewards on those, just FYI.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:45 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Since grocery stores are on most common credit cards' bonus category lists, you're foregoing some pretty decent rewards on those, just FYI.
We get 5% on groceries from the citi cash card .in january we will change to the deal on the chase unlimited which for us is about 7% back

Old 12-21-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We get 5% on groceries from the citi cash card .in january we will change to the deal on the chase unlimited which for us is about 7% back
Amex Platinum has up to 10x, as well, depending on the conditions of your sign-up offer (I believe the 10x offer might have been for certain members within the first six months of the account's opening). I personally use my Verizon Visa for groceries and gas - an easy 4% that adds up to a pretty decent amount each month and doesn't depend on revolving bonus categories (I used to have the CF card, but got rid of it because I couldn't be arsed to keep track).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics