Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 08:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Considering you've never lived here, you sure are an expert on the state. Focus on your own state. It doesn't seem to be much to brag about.

Besides the great weather, another thing I give CA credit for that tax money they bring in does fund a lot of programs that help regular taxpayers. Not the poor, not the needy but just normal everyday taxpayers. Can't say that about a lot of states.
Fair points.
As I mentioned though, PA is not a paradise and I'll bash my own state too. Way too much bad weather.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:50 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fair points.
As I mentioned though, PA is not a paradise and I'll bash my own state too. Way too much bad weather.
Got news for you. No state is paradise. You either choose to be happy where you are or change it.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:09 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Painting with a one size fits all brush is nonsense
True. Everybody says people are fleeing California to escape the high cost of living and high taxes.

Underneath the radar, which no one discusses, is the "Prop 13 Trap." Prop 13 limits property tax to around 1.3% for most and limits increases in assessed value to no more than 2% per year. As a result, there are lots of seniors in modest homes they bought for under $200k thirty years ago now worth $600k and up but their taxable assessed value lags far behind that $600k. In addition, California does not tax Social Security income. The income tax is highly progressive, so that a senior couple making $80k or less will have a tax rate of 5 percent or less, if they have income other than Soc Sec.

With all of the above, for many seniors California is a fairly low property and income tax state. For them there's not much benefit to moving out of state, or, in many states, there would be a substantial increase in property taxes even if the comparable home cost less to buy. And because many seniors don't move, it contributes to the low inventory of houses for sale, helping to drive housing costs higher, and makes the Prop 13 assessed gap even larger.

California is a high tax high COL state! People are leaving in droves! Hold on, it's not that simple....

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 01-12-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-12-2022, 11:25 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Taxes are necessary. They pay for schools, roads, infrastructure, public parks, government services etc. Every State needs money. If they don't raise it through taxes, then they will raise it in some other way and you're gonna spend some big bucks for it. And, if for some reason they don't, you can see the results everywhere.
Some amount of taxation is unavoidable, but the cost-benefit ratio ultimately depends on the level of services that one uses. If you have kids, you'll need more services, than if you don't. If you're elderly, or take care of an elderly person, you'll need more services. And so on. People who have private pools and a gym in their basement, won't be using the community recreation center. And so on.

But with taxes being strongly progressive, as they are in California, it's quite clear who pays, and who benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Besides the great weather, another thing I give CA credit for that tax money they bring in does fund a lot of programs that help regular taxpayers. Not the poor, not the needy but just normal everyday taxpayers. Can't say that about a lot of states.
Now on my second sojourn here in California, yes, the weather and multiple other attributes are fantastic. But who are these "regular taxpayers" who benefit from things funded by taxes? Again, if you don't have kids or other dependents, if you earn "too much" to qualify for things like the California version of Obamacare and so on, then your particular benefits are going to be... limited.

To me, the great advantage of California over the Midwest, where formerly I lived, is cultural. In California, or at least certain parts of it, I feel culturally more "at home". It's more comfortable in that regard. But that comfort is very, very costly!

Old 01-12-2022, 12:20 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Now on my second sojourn here in California, yes, the weather and multiple other attributes are fantastic. But who are these "regular taxpayers" who benefit from things funded by taxes? Again, if you don't have kids or other dependents, if you earn "too much" to qualify for things like the California version of Obamacare and so on, then your particular benefits are going to be... limited.

To me, the great advantage of California over the Midwest, where formerly I lived, is cultural. In California, or at least certain parts of it, I feel culturally more "at home". It's more comfortable in that regard. But that comfort is very, very costly!
Me. I do. A recent problem with my neighbor's homeowners insurance company led me to the Department of Insurance for the state. I had questions. They told me that they have a special department set up for people like me who are in disputes with insurance companeies; whether it's mine or someone else's insurance company.

The representative on the phone told me exactly what to do and how to do it and if I didn't get results to call her back and they would take over. They operate much the same as our state's licensing board for contractors.

These special departments are set up and funded by taxpayer dollars and I, for one, am grateful. So, when someone just comes along and complains about our taxes being high and no one except a special group of individuals are the ones receiving the help they need, those people are wrong and shouldn't be spouting off about something of that they don't know.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:27 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

“Living in New York City is an infamous challenge, as the median home costs over $1.6 million and rent will run you around $5,100 per month.”

The real truth is more than half of all rentals in nyc fall under rent stabilization…

We live in a great stabilized building and for 2k a month we have a pool and tennis courts in one of the most high end areas in queens .
I don't think 2k a month will get you this, https://bham.craigslist.org/apa/d/bi...431861879.html

And not everyone can get a government controlled apartment. The difference in housing costs from the Coasts to the MidWest is shocking.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:43 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Being next door to NJ and near enough to NYC I know all about their situation. NJ deserves to be near the top of the list for sure, but number 1 state to not live in has to be California, it's a darn near Marxist regime out there, a nanny state, with a super high cost of living, high taxes, high gas costs, horrible commutes, illegal immigrants running wild, and so forth. Let's not forget wildfires, earthquakes and an ongoing drought.

By the way, PA is no paradise either. It's got some good points, but poor weather for 1/3 of the year. I'd rather be elsewhere.
Yet 39 million people live in California, most of them happily. I would easily compare my COL with any half way desirable state. Gas is more, food is less. Taxes are really a toss up.

The immigrants running wild trope is tiring. I live within 50 miles of the border and it’s never been the Ho Chi Minh Trail non Californians make it out to be.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:47 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
OK. Somebody took the bait....please explain what is "delusional BS" about my comments on California (or NJ for that matter).

Are you saying CA doesn't have a nanny state?

Are you saying it doesn't cost a lot to live there?

What are you saying?
California is the land of milk and honey! I don't have any "nanny state laws" that impact my life. Now I was just in Nashville and the nanny laws there prohibited me from buying whisky at the Costco. What kinda men live in a state that won't allow you to buy liquor in a freaking Costco. Now I may not be able to walk out to the front yard and shoot off my AK15 but I'm kinda happy with that.

As others have mentioned it is expensive to start living in CA but literally gets cheaper every year with the Prop 13 tax benefit and the shifting of W2 income to other less taxed income.

AND, I have an 8000 sf lot that I can enjoy mostly year round and only have to maintain a little over 1000 house! My Nashville has to maintain a 3000 sf house because most of the year they are trapped in it.

Also my house pays me to live in it. The appreciation keeps increasing so I have an asset that has high returns should I choose to refi or sell.

So yeah, California is paradise. I just wish we could send the bums back from your state that come here for the better weather.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:53 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
California is the land of milk and honey! I don't have any "nanny state laws" that impact my life. Now I was just in Nashville and the nanny laws there prohibited me from buying whisky at the Costco. What kinda men live in a state that won't allow you to buy liquor in a freaking Costco. Now I may not be able to walk out to the front yard and shoot off my AK15 but I'm kinda happy with that.

As others have mentioned it is expensive to start living in CA but literally gets cheaper every year with the Prop 13 tax benefit and the shifting of W2 income to other less taxed income.

AND, I have an 8000 sf lot that I can enjoy mostly year round and only have to maintain a little over 1000 house! My Nashville has to maintain a 3000 sf house because most of the year they are trapped in it.

Also my house pays me to live in it. The appreciation keeps increasing so I have an asset that has high returns should I choose to refi or sell.

So yeah, California is paradise. I just wish we could send the bums back from your state that come here for the better weather.
OK, CA people are here and defending their state, which I have no problem with.
I don't know how many bums from PA are winding up in CA but feel free to send them back.

PA is also very restrictive on alcohol sales. Up until about 5 years ago you could not buy anything in the grocery stores. It's been relaxed now though but not to the level in a lot of other states.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:01 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I don't think 2k a month will get you this, https://bham.craigslist.org/apa/d/bi...431861879.html

And not everyone can get a government controlled apartment. The difference in housing costs from the Coasts to the MidWest is shocking.
Of course the differences are shocking …..even from borough to borough here their can be a huge difference…

These are rent stabilized in manhattan and go to market for many thousands of dollars a month .., so don’t confuse rent stabilization with rent controlled or think it means cheap

I love this development . The developer bought the lease rights we held on 200 Central Park south …they put this up in lower manhattan .they actually have very few apartments for rent despite the costs

https://www.thechrystie.com/?gclid=C...RoCf28QAvD_BwE

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics