Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 01:06 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK, CA people are here and defending their state, which I have no problem with.
Well I am happy that you allow us to state factual information of why we are happy to live in California.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,823 times
Quote:
I don't know how many bums from PA are winding up in CA but feel free to send them back.

PA is also very restrictive on alcohol sales. Up until about 5 years ago you could not buy anything in the grocery stores. It's been relaxed now though but not to the level in a lot of other states.
I think we naturally tend to project our biases on other people, parties and state etc. I do it too of course. I generally regret it when I get called out for making general statements about it though. My neighbor across the street is pretty much a right wing nut job but sometimes we will stand in the road and shoot the bull for a half hour.

If you were my neighbor we’d probably get along just fine especially since I’m a home brewer of over 20 years and maintain a pretty full keezer on my patio.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

These are rent stabilized in manhattan and go to market for many thousands of dollars a month .., so don’t confuse rent stabilization with rent controlled or think it means cheap

Are the rents controlled by the government or is the owner allowed to collect what rents he can get?

Old 01-12-2022, 01:32 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,063 times
Quote:
I don't know how many bums from PA are winding up in CA but feel free to send them back.

PA is also very restrictive on alcohol sales. Up until about 5 years ago you could not buy anything in the grocery stores. It's been relaxed now though but not to the level in a lot of other states.
there's a benefit to the State Store system currently, they tend to have more stock than private liquor stores. Patron XO Cafe has been discontinued by the manufacturer and I haven't been able to find it in any liquor stores in Central Florida. My son was able to pick some up from a State Store up in Philadelphia and an online look shows they still have a decent amount of inventory.

Just don't expect great customer service from a state employee.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:53 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Are the rents controlled by the government or is the owner allowed to collect what rents he can get?
Rents are decided each year by a board

“The New York City Rent Guidelines Board (NYCRGB) determines rent increases for lease renewals of rent stabilized apartments, lofts, hotels and single room occupancies (SROs). Rent increase percentages for rent stabilized apartments and lofts are adjusted each year.”

Rent controlled apartments which are something else totally are down to very very small percentages of apartments…..the mistake many make who are not familiar with the city are they don’t know the difference between rent controlled and rent stabilized.

Stabilized apartments can be at market ….or they can be less then market in some areas like manhattan or areas that gentrified and soared

Old 01-12-2022, 02:01 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
My sister lives in Manhattan NYC in an apartment paying $15,000 a month. She moved there for a job about 5 years ago and now she's retiring and can't wait to get out of the city. She has experience living all over the country and several places around the world and with that knowledge realizes how bad NYC is to live in. She said she will move back to Seattle.

I have traveled to all 50 states and made several trips to the Northeast US and couldn't find even one area I would like to retire in due to financial reasons. However, when I retired, I wanted to move to low tax South Dakota for financial reasons, but the wife disagreed, so we're stuck in high tax Nebraska.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Rents are decided each year by a board
If the landlord cannot get the rent he thinks he can then he is subsidizing you. You live in subsidized housing. Saying the landlord is also getting an abatement/subsidy does not support your argument that you are not getting a subsidy.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:39 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:

Glad you don't have a problem with it. You shouldn't. It doesn't affect your life one way or the other. Any why shouldn't we (who actually live here) defend the good things about it? Sure, there's bad things but that's everywhere in this country. You have a beef with CA just like you do with FL. But it has nothing to do with the high taxes or cost of living.

Sad you aren't able to buy alcohol so freely. I think Oregon is like that, too. Or they used to be. Maybe they changed their laws there. You could try contacting your local representative and see what they could do to loosen state restrictions.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:42 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
If the landlord cannot get the rent he thinks he can then he is subsidizing you. You live in subsidized housing. Saying the landlord is also getting an abatement/subsidy does not support your argument that you are not getting a subsidy.
Not true at all …in our case we paid cents on the dollar when we bought to be compensated …

When we sold to the investor group they were compensated by the price we gave them .

Developers are compensated in other ways with write offs and incentives to build because other wise there has not been a rental building put up since the 1970s anywhere in the city that was not low income or luxury or a special situation for a specific income range

No one walks in to this blind paying full market and gets shafted on the rent.

All the tenant does is pay the rent they have to pay .

Dealing in stabilized apartments is a big business and lots of money is made …it is an area a lot of pros deal in .

If there is a subsidy it was us having to pay 7 out of 9 tenants 100k each to leave at the end of their lease so we could sell the apartments at market .

But it was expected when we went in to the deal.

Rents fell behind because nyc has more renters so for a while politicians artificially held down rent increases

But today a lot of lower rents are because areas gentrified and became hot areas or the areas ended up in big demand so values exceed the rents eventually

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2022 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Not true at all …in our case we paid Pennie’s on the dollar when we bought to be compensated …

When we sold to the investor group they were compensated by the price we gave them .

Developers are compensated in other ways with write offs and incentives to build because other wise there has not been a rental building put up since the 1970s anywhere in the city that was not low income or luxury or a special situation for a specific income range

No one walks in to this blind paying full market and gets shafted on the rent.

All the tenant does is pay the rent they have to pay .

Dealing in stabilized apartments is a big business and lots of money is made ….

If there is a subsidy it was us having to pay 7 out of 9 tenants 100k each to leave at the end of their lease.

But it was expected when we went in to the deal
Why are you flogging some real estate deal from the last century. I am specifically talking about your current housing that has absolutely nothing to do with Central Park.

You are living in a property where the landlord cannot set rents that he wants. He is subsidizing you TODAY. Maybe you are paying market or close to market but the fact is that the government is controlling rent increases vs the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics