Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:03 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We live in ... Queens
So, not the "real" NYC.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:47 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
NJ population increased by 497,100 or 5.7% in the 2020 census when compared to the 2010 census.
https://www.census.gov/library/stori...us-decade.html

Old 01-09-2022, 11:30 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
So, not the "real" NYC.
Nope not manhattan …

No interest in living in manhattan

Old 01-09-2022, 11:42 AM

474 posts, read 406,373 times
I agree articles like this are click-bait. Also, there is a clear, distinct trend of people leaving high-tax, high regulation blue states, and moving to low-tax, low-regulation red states.

U.S News: 10 Best States for Economic Opportunity

Tax Foundation: Where Did Americans Move in 2020?

The Hill (editorial): The great exodus out of America’s blue cities

Old 01-09-2022, 12:00 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
If people want to move to Florida for the weather and activities and retirement, fine. But when I hear it’s “for the no state income taxes” it makes me scratch my head. If you’re making less income and having more from social security or other retirement vehicles, I’m not so sure Florida is your best choice if you’re moving based on tax burden as your lazy criteria.

Their tax structure is specifically designed to have a sales tax on consumption at the state level and many cities have their own. They know it’s full of retirees (and visiting tourists) not earning incomes and plan accordingly.

Lower state income taxes also probably just pushes up free cashflow/competition for property prices to rise and for local governments to hit you with higher property tax.

Maybe it would be better to go somewhere with lower sales and property tax and pay a lower burden state income tax rather than without one but a sales tax to specifically capture the tourism industry and retirement industry flowing to your state.

But there’s no state income tax in Florida!!!!! Ok…

Old 01-09-2022, 01:50 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
If people want to move to Florida for the weather and activities and retirement, fine. But when I hear it’s “for the no state income taxes” it makes me scratch my head. If you’re making less income and having more from social security or other retirement vehicles, I’m not so sure Florida is your best choice if you’re moving based on tax burden as your lazy criteria.

Their tax structure is specifically designed to have a sales tax on consumption at the state level and many cities have their own. They know it’s full of retirees (and visiting tourists) not earning incomes and plan accordingly.

Lower state income taxes also probably just pushes up free cashflow/competition for property prices to rise and for local governments to hit you with higher property tax.

Maybe it would be better to go somewhere with lower sales and property tax and pay a lower burden state income tax rather than without one but a sales tax to specifically capture the tourism industry and retirement industry flowing to your state.

We are in one of the highest tax states in the country plus New York City has its own income tax …

Our state and local taxes are crazy low ..

Our ss isn’t taxed , my wife’s pension isn’t taxed , the first 20k in retirement money isn’t taxed , our treasuries are not taxed ….when I work my whole check goes in the 401k .

we get a 1600 dollar tax credit from the state for having our long term care plan and we have to carry some over we pay so little . We get a 16k standard deduction too

Old 01-09-2022, 02:42 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Being next door to NJ and near enough to NYC I know all about their situation. NJ deserves to be near the top of the list for sure, but number 1 state to not live in has to be California, it's a darn near Marxist regime out there, a nanny state, with a super high cost of living, high taxes, high gas costs, horrible commutes, illegal immigrants running wild, and so forth. Let's not forget wildfires, earthquakes and an ongoing drought.

By the way, PA is no paradise either. It's got some good points, but poor weather for 1/3 of the year. I'd rather be elsewhere.
You left out all the petty criminals, drug addicts, homeless scum, ghetto gangs, mentally ill freaks, welfare leeches, stuck up ultra rich entitled Karen’s and utterly corrupt politicians that run the show. California is pretty bad.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:43 PM

819 posts, read 583,366 times
If we look at which taxes are high, we see real estate is a major culprit. In "blue" cities and towns, those taxes fund schools, police, fire, etc. Those high-tax states have excellent schools and people will pay that premium. Once the kids are up and out and taxpayers find themselves on a fixed income, it is not a priority so people move away.

Discussing school systems in low-tax states is beyond the purview of this thread but as long as the demand for good schools is a consideration there will always be those willing to pay and those (like retired people) who don't want to or just cannot.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:47 PM

819 posts, read 583,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
You left out all the petty criminals, drug addicts, homeless scum, ghetto gangs, mentally ill freaks, welfare leeches, stuck up ultra rich entitled Karen’s and utterly corrupt politicians that run the show. California is pretty bad.

Wow, that's painting with a very broad brush. We lived in SoCal for six years in the 2000s. As I reflect on those years, the biggest problem I could see was that everyone wanted to live there and everyone did. I loved it - the weather, the mountains, the ocean...

Moving back is not in the cards because it would be too expensive. There is no little corner than hasn't been discovered and developed to the maximum. Believe me, I've looked.

BTW, plenty of states host people like the ones mentioned above, it's not just a California thing.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:01 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post

I moved from NJ to FL 8 years ago. Straight up swap on property values. Property taxes in FL are 1/3rd what they were in NJ.

Sales tax is a push.

Income tax, well you already know that.

Car insurance cut in half.

Working remotely so still making the same salary (more relevant now than it was 8 years ago). That's why this type of clickbait is a little more relevant than it used to be. The economic opportunity is much more mobile. That said, of course family will still be a big reason to live in a particular area, same with schooling and jobs that aren't able to be done remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics