Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Economics news: small business, high saving rate, transportation.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg News

The pod cast is about 19:30 and doesn't get interesting until minute 11 as far as I'm concerned. But Ms Stephensen brought up an interesting scenario. That would be that America and China are going have a switcharoo with there growth models. Where America is going to base it growth from exports and China will grow internal consumerism. Basically over time America is going to get back in to the manufacturing business and produce goods for china and Asia in general to consume. Also we will be exporting a lot of our agricultural products to Asia as will (like we don't already do this.) This would be an interesting switch and most likely would cause and equilibrium eventually in the world economy.
Though I do have to take issue with Ms. Stephensen on the fact that she thinks that very few jobs will be created in the agricultural sector of the economy. While I really don't have proof the the contrary. I do believe more American will go back to the farm/ranch in order to earn a living and to live a quieter lifestyle. Well......I guess that wouldn't be creating jobs would it? It would be the creation of more small businesses in America. Either way though I think more privately held farms will be in the cards for America's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Bloomberg News

The pod cast is about 19:30 and doesn't get interesting until minute 11 as far as I'm concerned. But Ms Stephensen brought up an interesting scenario. That would be that America and China are going have a switcharoo with there growth models. Where America is going to base it growth from exports and China will grow internal consumerism. Basically over time America is going to get back in to the manufacturing business and produce goods for china and Asia in general to consume. Also we will be exporting a lot of our agricultural products to Asia as will (like we don't already do this.) This would be an interesting switch and most likely would cause and equilibrium eventually in the world economy.
Though I do have to take issue with Ms. Stephensen on the fact that she thinks that very few jobs will be created in the agricultural sector of the economy. While I really don't have proof the the contrary. I do believe more American will go back to the farm/ranch in order to earn a living and to live a quieter lifestyle. Well......I guess that wouldn't be creating jobs would it? It would be the creation of more small businesses in America. Either way though I think more privately held farms will be in the cards for America's future.
The disconnect might be that China had a higher savings rate when switching to a manufacturing based economy.

In addition, I'm sure they'll be making many of their own goods to keep and enjoy in addition to buying up what poorer Americans cannot.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
If China continues to follow a pre-WW2 model of Japan as an emerging world power, they will continue to upgrade their military and (now, different than Japan, then) increase their space power.

Aint nobody saying "No" to much of anything from them after that point. They will just buy what they want and take the rest. Sort of like the US is used to doing. Guess things have switched.

Meanwhile we continue to do stupid at Pearl Harbor epic levels -- like keep funding Air Craft carriers, and the Iraqicide.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Bloomberg News

That is assuming they use traditional farming methods. A LOT of places are talking about using hydroponic farming. One guy in Florida said hew as able to do 5 acres what he used to do on 13 using hydroponics. So with less acreage and less work telling soil and spraying and such, that would mean less jobs.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I am planning a move to the country myself, because suburban/city life is just not for me. It would be nice to see more people leaving their desk jobs that became obsolete and going back to the country. I believe that with high-tech and high-speed internet, the farmer could sell directly to the public and reap better profits. As for hydroponics, I believe that hydro algaeculture could be the solution to farmers who need fuel for their equipment, as well as soil additives.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
That is assuming they use traditional farming methods. A LOT of places are talking about using hydroponic farming. One guy in Florida said hew as able to do 5 acres what he used to do on 13 using hydroponics. So with less acreage and less work telling soil and spraying and such, that would mean less jobs.

Good point.
But even still the the continued growth of the world population. Plus with china, India and probably soon south America plowing over there farm lands to build factories and the like. And the fact that more people in these countries will spend less time farming and more time doing desk or manufacturing jobs. Will incline them to import more food. This in turn will push us and Canada to produce yields on food goods. This will increase the need for farmers whether hydroponic or not. Plus all the jobs that surround farming will go up as well like transportation, processing packing, exporters, etc. etc. Basically Wildstyle I think demand is going to be so great that even with the more efficient methods of farming there will be plenty of room for expansion in that field.
One other thing though I do have a fear for farming even the more efficient hydroponic farming. The would be a severe water shortages. I do believe that in some parts of this country will have serious water shortages in the near future. And this will effect our ability to produce quality produces for world consumption. I really hope I'm very wrong on this. But honestly I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics