Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 10:32 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Somebody please give me a brief intro to Inflation 101. I recently read, that inflation the last 20 years has been at 1%. That doesn't explain why the price of food I've been buying has more than doubled in that time. Almost tripled for some types of items.
An increase in the price of food is not inflation.

Inflation is an increase in the general price level - the price of ALL goods & services & compensation at the same time so it does not affect purchasing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 10:35 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Prices rise when shortages happen regardless of monetary policy .. people don’t stop buying essentials…

The fed can’t make more car chips or cream cheese or copper or anything else that goes up and down with supply
Prices rising due to shortages is not inflation. It is not a cause of inflation. It is not a result of inflation.

Similarly, when prices drop to to surpluses, it is not deflation. It is not a cause of deflation. It is not a result of deflation.

Price changes are merely changes.

Inflation is an increase in the general price level of ALL goods & services & compensation in the economy.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
we will soon run out of avocados!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2022, 02:55 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Get rid of the anti gouging laws. Demand pricing eventually balances supply and demand.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
we will soon run out of avocados!!!!!!
I bought some nice avocados yesterday for 20 cents each - first price decrease seen in a while.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:38 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Now, explain why two presidents from both political parties booted all those trillions of dollars into the economy. Also, explain what would have happened if that hadn't been done. Please don't make it sound like millions of people out of work is no big deal either.
The logical thing would have been to let the “free” market (to the extent that it exists) make decisions on how to handle it. Once the govt stepped in and started making rules and issuing warnings, we immediately began having shortages. Nothing NEEDED to close. It makes no sense to close things bc you cannot close everything. People will always need to eat. People could have made their own choices and so could have businesses. Mandates are what killed us. Not the virus (it only killed some people, same as other illnesses both chronic and acute kill some people). Closing down schools was the nail in the coffin. Families with two working parents were then screwed.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 1% that does not seem right.

The interest rates have been too low for long time.
Going up 1% annually, so 20% over 20 years. That's what the news source or article I read said.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The logical thing would have been to let the “free” market (to the extent that it exists) make decisions on how to handle it. Once the govt stepped in and started making rules and issuing warnings, we immediately began having shortages. Nothing NEEDED to close. It makes no sense to close things bc you cannot close everything. People will always need to eat. People could have made their own choices and so could have businesses. Mandates are what killed us. Not the virus (it only killed some people, same as other illnesses both chronic and acute kill some people). Closing down schools was the nail in the coffin. Families with two working parents were then screwed.
You are obviously one of these people who never thought Covid 19 was a serious problem even though it has taken the lives of over 900,000 Americans and left much of our health care system struggling to function.

During the early days when no covid vaccine existed, shutting down businesses was the only responsible decision to be made and you will remember it was initially made by President Trump. Had that not occurred, instead of 900,000 dead people we'd likely be looking at 3,000,000 dead people, perhaps 10,000,000 with serious permanent injuries from Covid 19, and a health care system that would have literally ground to a halt in some of the more populated states in this country.

Rigorous measures were needed and your argument that if you cannot close everything there is no point in closing anything is just dumb. The fewer human contacts that took place, the less disease was spread. When the shutdown was invoked it greatly reduced disease transmission in places where it was actually observed. I could provide numbers on that. The philosophy of "choice" is not an end all, be all philosophy. It does not work well when society has to deal with the ramifications of a highly transmissible and frequently deadly disease. Frankly, the majority of people in this country supported those restrictions. Now that we have vaccines which can at the very least reduce the number of deaths and hospitalizations we are in a different world. I don't hear politicians asking for lockdowns anymore. Things were different though in 2020 and if you believe otherwise you simply live on a different planet than most of us do.

Stimulus legislation and measures all grew out of the fact that we had no way of controlling this disease and we had to tell people to stay home or at least work from home with reduced hours.

There really was little alternative to what occurred. I would have run a politician who refused to do anything about Covid 19 out of office on a rail after I had participated in tarring and feathering him. That seems a little extreme. However, people rely on government to protect their health, welfare, and safety. There really is no point in having government at all if one does not accept that premise.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:06 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You are obviously one of these people who never thought Covid 19 was a serious problem even though it has taken the lives of over 900,000 Americans and left much of our health care system struggling to function.

During the early days when no covid vaccine existed, shutting down businesses was the only responsible decision to be made and you will remember it was initially made by President Trump. Had that not occurred, instead of 900,000 dead people we'd likely be looking at 3,000,000 dead people, perhaps 10,000,000 with serious permanent injuries from Covid 19, and a health care system that would have literally ground to a halt in some of the more populated states in this country.

Rigorous measures were needed and your argument that if you cannot close everything there is no point in closing anything is just dumb. The fewer human contacts that took place, the less disease was spread. When the shutdown was invoked it greatly reduced disease transmission in places where it was actually observed. I could provide numbers on that. The philosophy of "choice" is not an end all, be all philosophy. It does not work well when society has to deal with the ramifications of a highly transmissible and frequently deadly disease. Frankly, the majority of people in this country supported those restrictions. Now that we have vaccines which can at the very least reduce the number of deaths and hospitalizations we are in a different world. I don't hear politicians asking for lockdowns anymore. Things were different though in 2020 and if you believe otherwise you simply live on a different planet than most of us do.

Stimulus legislation and measures all grew out of the fact that we had no way of controlling this disease and we had to tell people to stay home or at least work from home with reduced hours.

There really was little alternative to what occurred. I would have run a politician who refused to do anything about Covid 19 out of office on a rail after I had participated in tarring and feathering him. That seems a little extreme. However, people rely on government to protect their health, welfare, and safety. There really is no point in having government at all if one does not accept that premise.
I’ve had my share of lectures over the last two years and don’t need more. So, I did not read your full diatribe. Suffice it to say people who think like you are the real reason we are in this mess - not bc of people who believe in choice or however you want to put it.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:26 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I’ve had my share of lectures over the last two years and don’t need more. So, I did not read your full diatribe. Suffice it to say people who think like you are the real reason we are in this mess - not bc of people who believe in choice or however you want to put it.
I could teach a parrot to say "free market" all day long. That parrot wouldn't understand an economic problem, as you don't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics