Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 09:21 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
please don't ever call anyone else a grifter. Thanks.
I can do whatever I want. And you can call me whatever you want, as long as I still get $70,000 of my loans forgiven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 03:54 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I can do whatever I want. And you can call me whatever you want, as long as I still get $70,000 of my loans forgiven.
Really? I don’t know how far back your conversation goes with that other poster, but are joking? Pay back your loan.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Really? I don’t know how far back your conversation goes with that other poster, but are joking? Pay back your loan.
I am on PSLF. My loans will be forgiven after 10 years of public service (I am already on year 9). This was true even before Trump was President.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:24 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
I am on PSLF. My loans will be forgiven after 10 years of public service (I am already on year 9). This was true even before Trump was President.
I'm coming up on the start of year 7 for me. It's a wonderful program. I'll likely have closer to $200k forgiven.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm coming up on the start of year 7 for me. It's a wonderful program. I'll likely have closer to $200k forgiven.
that's awesome! I love it, and it's not really "free" money like people here like to claim. We still have to make 10 years of payments, and we have to work in public service for 10 years. I borrowed 60k, have paid 30k over about 9 years, and somehow still owe 73k. Crazy student loan math.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:36 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
that's awesome! I love it, and it's not really "free" money like people here like to claim. We still have to make 10 years of payments, and we have to work in public service for 10 years. I borrowed 60k, have paid 30k over about 9 years, and somehow still owe 73k. Crazy student loan math.

I agree it's crazy. The interest is unrealistic, I've always said that. It's not fair that they make that much on a student trying to get ahead.

People can't realistically pay those loans back at 3+ times the amount.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:18 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Can you explain how that’s working? Are those federal loans?

My loan was a ten year term and for simplicity let’s say I originally owed $30,000. It’s been many years since I’ve looked at it, but I think my cost in nominal terms was going to be like $35,000 to $40,000. But that’s cut at through inflation and the value of tax deductible interest.

I also even capitalized interest into the principle while I was in school and I was in a five year college track that took me six years.

How are people having loan balances that triple or in your case paying down 30k on only a 60k balance that has somehow gone UP?

Private loans? Some kind of shady consolidation company?

Old 04-20-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Can you explain how that’s working? Are those federal loans?

My loan was a ten year term and for simplicity let’s say I originally owed $30,000. It’s been many years since I’ve looked at it, but I think my cost in nominal terms was going to be like $35,000 to $40,000. But that’s cut at through inflation and the value of tax deductible interest.

I also even capitalized interest into the principle while I was in school and I was in a five year college track that took me six years.

How are people having loan balances that triple or in your case paying down 30k on only a 60k balance that has somehow gone UP?

Private loans? Some kind of shady consolidation company?
My loans are all federal direct loans, both subsidized and unsubsidized. I am on an income-based repayment plan, which is likely how my debt has increased despite paying an amount equal to half of the original loan. Federal interest for graduate loans is 6%.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:00 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
My loans are all federal direct loans, both subsidized and unsubsidized. I am on an income-based repayment plan, which is likely how my debt has increased despite paying an amount equal to half of the original loan. Federal interest for graduate loans is 6%.
From what I just read, the income based repayment plan kicks up the term from 10 years to 20 years or more and then bases the payment on discretionary income. So I guess, in theory, someone would be paying an extremely low amount and not cutting the principle down on a ten year schedule. However, you’ve paid a large amount (30k)

6% isn’t that high of interest. Mine are similar to that at varying rates depending on timing and then subsidized or unsubsidized.

Certainly that’s not high enough to be kicking out an outcome of 12k higher principle after 30k of payments.

That math simply makes no sense to me. There has to be something more at play in your facts or something I’m completely missing.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
From what I just read, the income based repayment plan kicks up the term from 10 years to 20 years or more and then bases the payment on discretionary income. So I guess, in theory, someone would be paying an extremely low amount and not cutting the principle down on a ten year schedule. However, you’ve paid a large amount (30k)

6% isn’t that high of interest. Mine are similar to that at varying rates depending on timing and then subsidized or unsubsidized.

Certainly that’s not high enough to be kicking out an outcome of 12k higher principle after 30k of payments.

That math simply makes no sense to me. There has to be something more at play in your facts or something I’m completely missing.
It’s crazy, isn’t it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics