Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:09 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,159 times

Advertisements

Anyone else worried what impact this will have on the markets and economy?

Over 40 million people haven't had to make student loan payments in nearly 2 years. People freaked out when their monthly child care act payments dried up, whats going to happen when inflation hits 10% and people have to start making those $500 student loan payments again?

I'm genuinely starting to get very worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 10:18 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Anyone else worried what impact this will have on the markets and economy?

Over 40 million people haven't had to make student loan payments in nearly 2 years. People freaked out when their monthly child care act payments dried up, whats going to happen when inflation hits 10% and people have to start making those $500 student loan payments again?

I'm genuinely starting to get very worried.
You're not the only one worried about it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...fMNWs0QFX9TF8k

Old 02-22-2022, 11:58 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,594 times
The issue with the student loan debt forbearance is that many didn't continue paying on their debt at 0% interest, nor saved the money from the forbearance. So where did this money go? It very well could have went to trips/experiences or a new car for them. The best decision students could have made was pay what they could on their student loan debt, so that all their payment would go to principal reduction.

The students who were really hosed with the forbearance were the students who refinanced their Federally funded loans to private loans with SoFi. Those students received a cheaper rate, but had to continue paying their student loans throughout the entire pandemic. I would recommend any student to seriously consider all options when refinancing their Federally funded loans to private loans. You have so many perks available to you under the Federally funded loans compared to going private just to get a 2% rate cut.

Last edited by weezerfan84; 02-22-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2022, 01:50 PM

61 posts, read 36,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
So where did this money go? It very well could have went to trips/experiences or a new car for them.
These are all the people that never flew before and all of a sudden found they could afford airline tickets.

We see them in Youtube videos every day.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:14 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
The issue with the student loan debt forbearance is that many didn't continue paying on their debt at 0% interest, nor saved the money from the forbearance. So where did this money go? It very well could have went to trips/experiences or a new car for them. The best decision students could have made was pay what they could on their student loan debt, so that all their payment would go to principal reduction.
Or, in the alternative, dollar cost averaged into the market for the past nearly two years. That money would have doubled and they could pay down the loans as soon as the forbearance and 0% ran out.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:14 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:

The students who were really hosed with the forbearance were the students who refinanced their Federally funded loans to private loans with SoFi. Those students received a cheaper rate, but had to continue paying their student loans throughout the entire pandemic. I would recommend any student to seriously consider all options when refinancing their Federally funded loans to private loans. You have so many perks available to you under the Federally funded loans compared to going private just to get a 2% rate cut.
That’s not even true. The best financial decision would have been to pay nothing towards them and let inflation eat at the principle. You would have been better off investing the money elsewhere and getting return throughout this time or tackling a different non-tax deductible debt. Then, now that the rates will turn back on, now at the end, maybe it makes sense to pay the principle with your funds you invested and grew the last 2 years.

However, I’m letting my student loans continue to ride even now to stretch out the time the governments own inflation will eat at it. And it will be tax deductible. And I’ll use my money elsewhere to chase return. Also as a hedge that these jokers might wipe it clear entirely or some other amount.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That’s not even true. The best financial decision would have been to pay nothing towards them and let inflation eat at the principle. You would have been better off investing the money elsewhere and getting return throughout this time or tackling a different non-tax deductible debt. Then, now that the rates will turn back on, now at the end, maybe it makes sense to pay the principle with your funds you invested and grew the last 2 years.

However, I’m letting my student loans continue to ride even now to stretch out the time the governments own inflation will eat at it. And it will be tax deductible. And I’ll use my money elsewhere to chase return. Also as a hedge that these jokers might wipe it clear entirely or some other amount.

Here's my question about student loan forgiveness. Do you feel like you have led a successful life from the student loan debt you accrued? I took out student loans and had about $30k total in debt. I have $5k remaining and it's in forbearance. The 0% interest is not much benefit to me and the $250/month I was paying is better off being invested.

However, I do have an issue with a prior student wanting $50k+ of their student loan debt forgiven and they aren't in a field that will aid in subsidizing their student loan debt for years of service. I think college is way overpriced, but that doesn't just mean you should have your student loan debt forgiven, because you all of a sudden can't afford it. Also, it's up to the student to perform well enough in college to better prepare themselves for the world after college.

What has happened is that too many students went to college that had no business being there. Honestly, me included. I was a B student at best. However, I was able to attend college and graduate during a time when college was very affordable. I graduated in 2011.

College became available to anyone who could sign their name on a FAFSA form and that was the culprit to campuses expanding, since so much money was flowing into all the universities. This has really become a mess where the colleges and students are to blame. Just because college was available to you, doesn't mean that it's the best decision for you.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:13 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,267 times
screw them - they took the money they need to pay it back like the millions of other kids and young adults that have

Old 02-23-2022, 08:58 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
screw them - they took the money they need to pay it back like the millions of other kids and young adults that have
Oh absolutely.

They need to pay every penny of principal and interest back.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:03 PM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post

How is student loan debt tax deductible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics