Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 12:36 PM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
This is a horrifying prospect. I utterly despise the government, and can't stand giving those blood sucking parasites even one red cent of my hard earned money. There's only one way to combat this- by moving as much of the economy as possible underground. In person, "off the books" transactions in cash or precious metals is how we can starve the suffocating, parasitic leviathan that is the government.
That is precisely what crypto is doing, but gov'ts worlwide are moving to regulate it so they can see every transaction. The underground gig economy is also why our govt wants banks to track every transaction we do over $600. I think the limit now is $10,000.

They are making it very hard to operate out of gov't reach. Barter may still be an option for some.

I keep a supply of Silver Eagles around, but nobody will allow me to use them to buy stuff for their real value, beyond $1. They are only good after the collapse.

With Gov't spending ~45% of GDP, and growng rapidly, I dont see how we will be able to generate any real sustainable growth beyond start stop bullwhip growth we have now.

Printing more dollars just splits the pizza pie into more slices, it doesn't grow the pie...nor does gov't.

The only way out of this is to shrink gov't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 01:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,462,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is precisely what crypto is doing, but gov'ts worlwide are moving to regulate it so they can see every transaction. The underground gig economy is also why our govt wants banks to track every transaction we do over $600. I think the limit now is $10,000.

They are making it very hard to operate out of gov't reach. Barter may still be an option for some.

I keep a supply of Silver Eagles around, but nobody will allow me to use them to buy stuff for their real value, beyond $1. They are only good after the collapse.

With Gov't spending ~45% of GDP, and growng rapidly, I dont see how we will be able to generate any real sustainable growth beyond start stop bullwhip growth we have now.

Printing more dollars just splits the pizza pie into more slices, it doesn't grow the pie...nor does gov't.

The only way out of this is to shrink gov't.
I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it's possible. Over the past two weeks, I've sold thousands of dollars worth of my belongings in a face-to-face manner. I was paid cash- no record of the transactions exist whatsoever. That means the government parasites don't get a single rupee in taxes.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:17 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it's possible. Over the past two weeks, I've sold thousands of dollars worth of my belongings in a face-to-face manner. I was paid cash- no record of the transactions exist whatsoever. That means the government parasites don't get a single rupee in taxes.
They wouldn't take taxes from it anyway. Garage sales aren't an IRS target. Whether you have an actual garage sale, or sell items individually.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-31-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They wouldn't take taxes from it anyway. Garage sales aren't an IRS target. Whether you have an actual garage sale, or sell items individually.
If you've sold something for more than what you paid for it (which is the case for many of my transactions), it is subject to a capital gains tax. Or at least, I believe so.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:53 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,585,805 times
Quote:
If you've sold something for more than what you paid for it (which is the case for many of my transactions), it is subject to a capital gains tax. Or at least, I believe so.
Would the 99% of items at a garage sale sold for less than was paid for them count as capital losses to offset the occasional capital gain?

I have no idea.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Would the 99% of items at a garage sale sold for less than was paid for them count as capital losses to offset the occasional capital gain?

I have no idea.
I'm not sure.

However, if you buy something for $100, and you sell it 20 years later for $101, you owe taxes on that $1 "capital gain," even with 20 years of inflation factored in. Your gain is only a nominal one. You've actually lost money with inflation, but still they tax you.

Government parasites tax you in two ways- overtly and covertly. Overtly by confiscating your money, and covertly by confiscating the purchasing power of your money.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:14 PM

11,543 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
The FED mandate is employment and price stability. They have no mandate on the stock market. If the stock market falls dramatically but employment stays solid or better and inflation is low, they have done their job based on mandate.
Now stock market falling drastically could cause employment to become bad, but not always. See Tech bubble bursting in 2000 when employment stayed reasonably good through 2002 despite the tech bubble burst bear market.
The Fed has no "official" mandate to prop up the stock market, yet they do it anyway. They know where their bread is buttered. It is not with the working class.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:19 PM

11,543 posts, read 6,034,241 times
Quote:
This is a horrifying prospect. I utterly despise the government, and can't stand giving those blood sucking parasites even one red cent of my hard earned money. There's only one way to combat this- by moving as much of the economy as possible underground. In person, "off the books" transactions in cash or precious metals is how we can starve the suffocating, parasitic leviathan that is the government.
That is going to be tough to do with the coming digital currency. I mean, barter will still work. Maybe gold, if people really want to accept it for goods and services they provide but it is going to be tough to find an off-books currency to compete with the official government digital currency.

Paper and coin cash allowed for a grey market. GuvCoin won't.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
That is going to be tough to do with the coming digital currency. I mean, barter will still work. Maybe gold, if people really want to accept it for goods and services they provide but it is going to be tough to find an off-books currency to compete with the official government digital currency.

Paper and coin cash allowed for a grey market. GuvCoin won't.
Cash will always be available. Silver is really the best and most honest form of money we have available. I believe you'll have no problem finding people to accept it for payment once the USD becomes wallpaper lining.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:10 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
I'm not sure.

However, if you buy something for $100, and you sell it 20 years later for $101, you owe taxes on that $1 "capital gain," even with 20 years of inflation factored in. Your gain is only a nominal one. You've actually lost money with inflation, but still they tax you.

Government parasites tax you in two ways- overtly and covertly. Overtly by confiscating your money, and covertly by confiscating the purchasing power of your money.
Do you really sit around worrying about stuff like this?

Perhaps you can start some "underground" garage sales.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics