Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 01:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times

Advertisements

As a matter of fact, we are building a new home this year (rural southern Manitoba). The price I'm being quoted for what seems like a "niceish" home is $220 sq foot. I'm told they are estimating on the high side.

The price I've seen on basic ready-to-move homes is $110 per square foot.

Just an FYI.

I already own the land, so the land doesn't account for any part of the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 02:36 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
As a matter of fact, we are building a new home this year (rural southern Manitoba). The price I'm being quoted for what seems like a "niceish" home is $220 sq foot. I'm told they are estimating on the high side.

Just an FYI.

That is what we paid 6-7 years ago in small town Oklahoma.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:39 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Google earth. I tried to only show the build up area.

If you look at wikipedia the county area and metro area it is much bigger because it shows lots farms and empty land. So the area is not city or metro boundaries build up area.

I just used google earth to try to only show the build up area. Has for some reason the US county lines and metro boundaries are very strange and show lot of non build up area.

Well if you look at metro lines it takes lots and lots of land yes empty land making the sprawl being way worse the CSA area of LA. Than the true build up area.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grea...eaterLAmap.png

For some reason county lines and metro area the way they draw the lines not nice for some reason.
It is ok. You have never built nor owned a home nor dealt with code/builders.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:

Just an FYI.

That's great news Netwit! Nothing like a new home to brighten ones life

Old 03-06-2022, 12:26 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's great news Netwit! Nothing like a new home to brighten ones life
Scary too! I wasn't sure what to do, after lumber prices started rising but I found a builder finally and am going for it!

Old 03-06-2022, 02:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Scary too! I wasn't sure what to do, after lumber prices started rising but I found a builder finally and am going for it!
A million decisions to be made as well.

Friends of mine, years ago, tore down the single level ranch they had, designed a two storey house with what they wanted. Then hired an architect to go over their plans. The architect like their overall design, but broke the house up into three sections, each one slightly askew of the other. It made the house much more interesting.

My grandfather also built his own house in the 1950's, in West Vancouver. I'm not sure how much he designed himself, or if it was a plan that you could just buy, but it was the house that I learned to walk in! So remember through all the stress of building, you are not just building a house, but a home!

Old 03-06-2022, 03:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok, so LA has 18 million people over about 2100 sq mi. for about 8500ppl/sqmi. GTA has 7 million people over 900 sq mi., for about 7800 ppl/sq mi.

Houston and Dallas are about 1/2 as dense. New York City is more dense.

What is your point? Toronto and LA are roughly comparable, other major metros are either more or less dense. I believe that you have effectively supported my contention that Canadian cities are comparable to other cities despite your efforts to claim otherwise.

Thanks for supporting my contention and refuting your own.
There was 4 or 5 posters who said Toronto and Vancouver cannot sprawl out became greenbelts.

The US cities have bad city sprawl just look at Phoenix, Dallas metro and Houston metro. If there was some cap it would make it worse.

If Toronto did not care they could flatted the land and build many houses that would cost just like Houston in the $300,000 to $400,000 or less if they did not care about farms. Even Houston and Dallas are starting to build high rise apartment and high rise condos now.

Tulsa sprawl would be unacceptable with new green party that is every where now. Not saying Toronto should do that. That sprawl is even worse than Houston.

Only 30% of land in Vancouver area is allowed for building per BC zoning law.

People in Canada seem to thing you have big cities and you don’t compared to the US . And if you really wanted to be correct they would be town compared to Asian cities. Stop saying cities in Canada are big or Toronto is big. Toronto area has 5 million people and there are many US cities and counties with 5 and 6 million people. Los Angels area is like 4 times almost bigger and yet the price of homes do not cost 3 or 4 times more than Toronto.

I keep asking this and no one is answering why can’t farms move west or north of Toronto? Unless all of southern Ontario is full of farms and no land is left.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:30 PM

1,230 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It is ok. You have never built nor owned a home nor dealt with code/builders.
Yes the poster below explain it and it is like that in Canada too.

Than blame it on your liberal or green party that taken over both parties or many parties and in city hall, government and city planning and every where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
Although I now live in Arkansas, I am from England originally. One thing to keep in mind is that as far back as I can remember, just about everything in the U.K. has always cost more than here in the U.S., except perhaps for that brief time in the 1980's when the British pound dropped to almost parity with the U.S. dollar.

But houses are especially expensive for multiple reasons. The green-belt areas around many towns and cities have already been mentioned. Beyond that though, it has become increasingly difficult to obtain what is known as "planning permission" to build homes in many areas. The system is not like the U.S. where if the land is zoned residential and what you want to build meets set standards for your city or county (maximum height, setbacks, etc.) you will be able to get a building permit. Every new house in the U.K. requires the potential builder to obtain planning permission from the appropriate local authority, which involves submitting full plans down to the color of the roof tiles and window frames. It's often an expensive and drawn-out process, and can sometimes take months if the bureaucrats at the local council object to something and plans need to be amended and resubmitted. Then once the permission has been obtained, there is still the expense of "building control," which equates to building inspection and code compliance over here. The fees for these two processes were getting ridiculously expensive in many areas even 10 or 15 years ago. I have no idea what they might be now.

But even if not in a green-belt area, many local authorities in the U.K. have become notoriously difficult over the years when it comes that all-important planning permission. They mostly seem to want cookie-cutter development with houses packed in as tight as possible (yes, they are in on Agenda 21 for those who know what that is). If you're looking at a place which is designated an "Area of outstanding natural beauty" then getting permission for building becomes even more difficult and expensive.

Also, aside from the fact that basic building materials are more expensive to start with, the "standard" home now built in the U.K. is brick built with cavity wall insulation, i.e. outside walls are two layers of brick with an air gap or insulation between, or brick on the outside layer and cement block on the inside. Slate or tile roofs are also the norm rather than shingles. Just about anything which deviates from this is classed as "non-standard construction" by everyone from those local authorities to banks loaning money.

As for demand, the last time I checked the population of the entire U.K. was something over 60 million. That's in a land area which is about the size of Oregon. And by far the largest portion of that population is concentrated just in England, with Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland being a fairly small percentage.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:36 PM

444 posts, read 284,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
There was 4 or 5 posters who said Toronto and Vancouver cannot sprawl out became greenbelts.

The US cities have bad city sprawl just look at Phoenix, Dallas metro and Houston metro. If there was some cap it would make it worse.

If Toronto did not care they could flatted the land and build many houses that would cost just like Houston in the $300,000 to $400,000 or less if they did not care about farms. Even Houston and Dallas are starting to build high rise apartment and high rise condos now.

Tulsa sprawl would be unacceptable with new green party that is every where now. Not saying Toronto should do that. That sprawl is even worse than Houston.

Only 30% of land in Vancouver area is allowed for building per BC zoning law.

People in Canada seem to thing you have big cities and you don’t compared to the US . And if you really wanted to be correct they would be town compared to Asian cities. Stop saying cities in Canada are big or Toronto is big. Toronto area has 5 million people and there are many US cities and counties with 5 and 6 million people. Los Angels area is like 4 times almost bigger and yet the price of homes do not cost 3 or 4 times more than Toronto.

I keep asking this and no one is answering why can’t farms move west or north of Toronto? Unless all of southern Ontario is full of farms and no land is left.
Yes all of southern Ontario is farmland if it's out of a city and Toronto has 10 million people if you are going to compare it to USA CSA metros stats since we use a different criteria for metros here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe

Toronto
Area: 31,561 km2
Population: 9,765,188

Some comparison
Chicago CSA
Area: 28,120 km2
Population: 9,986,960

Houston CSA
Area: 26,061 km2
Population: 7,197,883

Houston CSA
Area: 22,468 km2
Population: 7,637,387

Old 03-07-2022, 02:15 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,313,453 times
Yes we all agree there are many more large cities in the US than in Canada or in Australia, for that matter.

I cannot understand why that is supposedly of such importance to the issue being discussed. Auckland NZ is a city of less than two million yet by far the biggest city in the country. It is one of the world’s expensive cities for real estate. Factors other than the size of cities are at play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics