Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Then the price of the service or product offered will skyrocket.
You or the ones who control salaries can't up your rates, and people aren't willing to work for lower rates. Now it's whether or not customers are willing to buy at those prices. If not, see if you can further cut costs. If not, then as unfortunate as it is, see post #10....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63071093-post10.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
From what I've been told, $19 per hour in Oregon is basically minimum wage once you factor in the COL. That would explain why you have no takers. If your business model only works with people accepting rock bottom wages, then you have an obsolete system that in today's COVID 19 era, will force you out of business. Only those businesses that can survive while paying competitive wages will thrive. And that's probably for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 09:00 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,058,454 times
Before covid, I would go to walmart on payday Fridays at lunch time to get dog food, laundry detergent...etc. I would have the store basically to myself with a few others doing the same thing.
Today, walmart/sams are packed all day long just as if it was Christmas, everyday.
So my question is that, if these people arent working, where are they getting the money. Another thing I have noticed is that there are many more average looking people pan handling now.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:26 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In my area the labor shortage is so bad that it is affecting operational sustainability.

Where I work we used to get 100-200 apps for ONE position. Now we struggle to get 10, many postings get less than 6 when they're open for a month+ and half are not qualified.

The businesses in my area cannot stay open, the managers & owners are basically doing everything. Some retailers, e.g. the Walgreens near me, simply said they are no longer open evenings or weekends. 8:30-5:30 M-F: it's the manager, one worker and one pharmacist running the whole store.

It appears to be a problem in all sectors but somewhat less acute in IT.

We are now 6+ months out from the "free money" spigots being turned off. Where the hell did everyone go?
You know those "old folks" that young workers make fun of and can't wait to lose their jobs in layoffs? Well, they retired and/or were laid off, when the economy was shut down. They didn't return. They're set up with insurance and maybe social security, now.

Second, some people with children to care for didn't return to work because of a lack of childcare services. What they're using for money, I don't know. Some were second income to a family. Maybe others get govt assistance. Maybe some moved in with relatives, when they lost their apartments/homes during the pandemic. Others may have the savings to hold off longer, or live in a wealthy home where her second income didn't contribute that much.

The lack of immigrants has had an effect in the bottom jobs.

Some people may have funds to wait for better pay or more flexible work hours. Maybe they are the secondary income in the family.

The sectors hit the hardest were accommodation and food services, wholesale trade and state and local government education.

The shortage is also global, not just the U.S.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/glob...s-explain.html

The answer is simple: If they pay, workers will come.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:31 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,677,789 times
I went to work at a local coffee shop that was in dire need of workers. I did it for a couple months and looked forward to all my shifts but I impulsively quit last weekend.

I wanted to do my job tasks without being burdened by societal issues but my employer and my coworkers made a point to bring outside stuff into my shift each day. A lot of it I could ignore or blow off but the big thing last week was they decided to keep the mask mandate for both employees and guests. Im fine wearing masks but it created a situation where customers come in and ask why we kept the policy and then they feel like they have to give their opinion if it. Imagine that all you want to do is serve yummy coffee and each time you hand a drink off to someone they reward you with expressing their pandemic opinions. It’s not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. It’s a matter of pandemic fatigue and just not giving a damn what they think. But suddenly it became a job requirement to listen to them because it would be rude to say “Here is your drink. I hope you love it. Now go away!!!!”

Old 03-15-2022, 12:25 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,201,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yep. Our taxes help Wal-Mart meet payroll.
Would be interesting to see some data about Walmart.

I happened to ask a few young people in Walmart about their work pretending that I am looking for work.
I asked them if Walmart is a good place to work.

Could be a coincidence, but several different people were very enthusiastic about their employment and suggested that I should apply as they got health insurance (the employees pay some) as well as for the summer period their wages were being raised $2 per hour higher- as it is busier.

Talked to a cashier - who was a retired nurse. She said she enjoys working part-time with people and no responsibilities and pressure of the nursing job.
It was very unexpected to me.
In addition, see that they employ a lot of disabled people- perhaps for tax write-off, as their jobs seems completely unnecessary.

It was pre-pandemic though, but I caught the headline that now? Walmart cover their tuition too? Not sure about the details.

Would be interesting to have a solid data- to which extent allegedly the taxpayers support the Walmart workforce ?

Old 03-15-2022, 01:05 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,028,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Would be interesting to see some data about Walmart.

I happened to ask a few young people in Walmart about their work pretending that I am looking for work.
I asked them if Walmart is a good place to work.

Could be a coincidence, but several different people were very enthusiastic about their employment and suggested that I should apply as they got health insurance (the employees pay some) as well as for the summer period their wages were being raised $2 per hour higher- as it is busier.

Talked to a cashier - who was a retired nurse. She said she enjoys working part-time with people and no responsibilities and pressure of the nursing job.
It was very unexpected to me.
In addition, see that they employ a lot of disabled people- perhaps for tax write-off, as their jobs seems completely unnecessary.

It was pre-pandemic though, but I caught the headline that now? Walmart cover their tuition too? Not sure about the details.

Would be interesting to have a solid data- to which extent allegedly the taxpayers support the Walmart workforce ?
Walmart has a very long history of discriminating against the disabled. They are not keeping their disabled workers for a tax write-off, for sure. Jury trials get be a b****.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/disa...f-pattern.html

Old 03-15-2022, 01:13 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,201,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ridiculous. You can't just go and demand whatever wage you think you 'deserve' and expect it to be granted, and if it isn't then blame the 'business model'. It doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way. You want to go in and demand $50/hr to flip burgers? Sorry, no job for you. A wage is a bargain negotiated between the one who wants to hire and the one who wants to work, if the two can't agree on the price then each looks for a different position/candidate.

Also ridiculous. It's not a 'willingness to be abused', it's a willingness to work hard to get what I wanted.

My paycheck just barely covered my rent and utilities, with nothing left for food. Whether or not I ate on any particular day, and what, depended on how much loose change got sucked into the vacuum cleaners that I emptied at the end of the day. When I ate, it was often just beans and bread. …

Was it a great living? No, but it was a 'living wage'- it was enough to rent a room, and eat, with a little left over. ….
I worked my ass off to afford my lifestyle and pay for college. At times I had to do without 'luxuries', at one point I sold my TVs and eliminated cable because I figured that if I didn't have enough money to do what I wanted to do, then I had no business sitting on my ass in front of the TV and bitc...er, grousing about it.

How you live, depends on the decisions you make on what to do with what you have. *You* decide what you are going to spend money on and how much you are going to spend on it. *You* decide on what you want, and how hard you are willing to work to get it. Nobody 'owes' you any particular standard of living. If the 'circumstances' of your situation (location, opportunity, etc.) are not to your satisfaction, then it is up to *you* to change your circumstances.

I have lived through hard times, and made the hard decisions, to get to where I am….
Another “pull yourself by the bootstraps” story, which is debunked

2 comments.
You failed to acknowledge your pure luck given to you, not the one “you made it happen yourself by working hard”

- You were healthy enough to be able to walk to your work 5 miles each way or go hungry once in a while.
Not everyone is able due to being born in poor health or with the disabilities or acquired poor health due to bad luck.

Now imagine the same situation as yours, but let’s say that now you are a single woman with the child due to abusive ex-husband or other circumstances..

Could she do the same? I don’t think so.

- You have a wrong idea of a”living” wage that you allegedly had - you did not.
As K Marx determined in the mid of the 19th century - the living wage must include the worker to be able to procreate and have children to replenish the future workforce.
You couldn’t afford it due to your living conditions. Children need food, clothes, healthcare and education, not counting the necessity of the engaged parents, so parental free time is needed as well.

The current wage conundrum and a shortage of employees could be attributed to the relative wealth of the society for those willing to have a meager life just playing away their life on the computer.

-a family help like free food, housing, internet, etc
- a gig economy
-an extensive safety net like SSI, emergency cash assistance, free healthcare and education, free utilities, food banks,etc
- a disillusionment and the feasibility of the American Dream for a younger generation.

A younger generation has no desire or a willingness to enter the rat race in hopes of having a large family and a picket fence house. At least not the majority..

They have their own ideas about the society they want to see and live in.

Money is still a goal and high hopes are bet on You Tube channels followers and easy money in pursuit of their ideas of a good life- travel, RV- living, tiny houses, homesteading, virtual currency, etc.
A lot of them just don’t care and don’t require much.
They expect 1/3 of their life if they work - to be fun, pleasant, interesting, etc.
It could be hard to provide that, but not impossible- innovation may help.
Why do we need some jobs? Could AI replace them?

Schools and education have to drastically change ASAP.
Moral fiber of the society should return to thousands of years honed “normalcy” - I am sure I am not even allowed to say that - not PC

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-15-2022 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 01:57 PM

19,822 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Another “pull yourself by the bootstraps” story, which is debunked

2 comments.
You failed to acknowledge your pure luck given to you, not the one “you made it happen yourself by working hard”

- You were healthy enough to be able to walk to your work 5 miles each way or go hungry once in a while.
Not everyone is able due to being born in poor health or with the disabilities or acquired poor health due to bad luck.

Now imagine the same situation as yours, but let’s say that now you are a single woman with the child due to abusive ex-husband or other circumstances..

Could she do the same? I don’t think so.

- You have a wrong idea of a”living” wage that you allegedly had - you did not.
As K Marx determined in the mid of the 19th century - the living wage must include the worker to be able to procreate and have children to replenish the future workforce.
You couldn’t afford it due to your living conditions. Children need food, clothes, healthcare and education, not counting the necessity of the engaged parents, so parental free time is needed as well.

The current wage conundrum and a shortage of employees could be attributed to the relative wealth of the society for those willing to have a meager life just playing away their life on the computer.

-a family help like free food, housing, internet, etc
- a gig economy
-an extensive safety net like SSI, emergency cash assistance, free healthcare and education, free utilities, food banks,etc
- a disillusionment and the feasibility of the American Dream for a younger generation.

A younger generation has no desire or a willingness to enter the rat race in hopes of having a large family and a picket fence house. At least not the majority..

They have their own ideas about the society they want to see and live in.

Money is still a goal and high hopes are bet on You Tube channels followers and easy money in pursuit of their ideas of a good life- travel, RV- living, tiny houses, homesteading, virtual currency, etc.
A lot of them just don’t care and don’t require much.
They expect 1/3 of their life if they work - to be fun, pleasant, interesting, etc.
It could be hard to provide that, but not impossible- innovation may help.
Why do we need some jobs? Could AI replace them?

Schools and education have to drastically change ASAP.
Moral fiber of the society should return to thousands of years honed “normalcy” - I am sure I am not even allowed to say that - not PC

How blisteringly telling that you used Marx as a reference.

The truth is there will always be a bottom 20 and 40% etc. Some of this group is amazingly unlucky most make an ongoing series of mistakes and stay poor.

So far as younger people....it's too early to tell but it appears the youngest mills and especially oldest zoomers are not the success hating, undereducated opt outs you described above.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:52 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,659,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yep. Our taxes help Wal-Mart meet payroll.
Walmart's payroll keeps people off the public dole. We're talking about employees who are so poor quality they couldn't get a job anywhere else, yet Walmart puts them on the payroll. if Walmart closed its doors, these substandard employees would all be collecting even more financial assistance from those of us who have the ability to contribute to society.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:07 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Walmart's payroll keeps people off the public dole. We're talking about employees who are so poor quality they couldn't get a job anywhere else, yet Walmart puts them on the payroll. if Walmart closed its doors, these substandard employees would all be collecting even more financial assistance from those of us who have the ability to contribute to society.

From a Nov 2020 report:

"Walmart and McDonald’s are among the top employers of beneficiaries of federal aid programs like Medicaid and food stamps, according to a study by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office released Wednesday."

and

"About 70% of the 21 million federal aid beneficiaries worked full time, the report found."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics