Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:37 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
All the extended COVID 19 unemployment benefits were eliminated several months ago by every state in the country. If employers are unable to attract employees, its probably because the wages are not competitive.
This is what it comes down to, in a nutshell. While I realize a job is worth only so much depending on the job, there still has to be some connection to COL in that particular area.

A CNA in Tampa/St. Pete should not be making $ 12.00 an hour (on average, excluding overtime). It is not the Riddle of the Sphynx as to why these positions have a dire shortage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 10:53 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
From what I've been told, $19 per hour in Oregon is basically minimum wage once you factor in the COL. That would explain why you have no takers. If your business model only works with people accepting rock bottom wages, then you have an obsolete system that in today's COVID 19 era, will force you out of business. Only those businesses that can survive while paying competitive wages will thrive. And that's probably for the best.
I've been saying this forever.

Even low level service workers have to live somewhere within a reasonable distance from work, maintain a vehicle, have food to eat, pay for childcare if they have kids.

I don't know why so many people still cling to this notion that keeping minimum wage low is good.

These workers don't evaporate into thin air at the end of their "burger flipping" shift. It has to make sense for them to come to work. Otherwise, as several have noted, they are better off on government assistance - and they know it.

And we pay for that JUST AS we would if increasing wages causes prices to increase. Better for society to have people being productive and feeling self-sufficient.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:05 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I've been saying this forever.

Even low level service workers have to live somewhere within a reasonable distance from work, maintain a vehicle, have food to eat, pay for childcare if they have kids.

I don't know why so many people still cling to this notion that keeping minimum wage low is good.

These workers don't evaporate into thin air at the end of their "burger flipping" shift. It has to make sense for them to come to work. Otherwise, as several have noted, they are better off on government assistance - and they know it.

And we pay for that JUST AS we would if increasing wages causes prices to increase. Better for society to have people being productive and feeling self-sufficient.
Exactly. No one is saying a low level worker should be getting $ 25.00 an hour. But if the wage is $ 12.00 - $ 13.00 an hour in an area where the median rent hovers around 2K, expect labor shortages.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:15 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Exactly. No one is saying a low level worker should be getting $ 25.00 an hour. But if the wage is $ 12.00 - $ 13.00 an hour in an area where the median rent hovers around 2K, expect labor shortages.
People will come back and say that these jobs were never meant to be "career" jobs anyway.

They say they were meant for teenagers and people working their way through college.

That may have been the reality decades ago when there were good paying manufacturing jobs for those without the means or skills to achieve a college or technical education.

When we shipped vast amounts of those jobs overseas, these people have had to turn to service industry type jobs. The wages in these jobs have been held down and stagnate for years, while the cost of living has risen dramatically. That is why you see so many people either working these jobs and having to have their living costs subsidized (food stamps, Section 8, Medicaid, etc.), or having dependants in order to qualify for benefits.

Meanwhile the companies that employ them have made huge profits. We the tax payer have been stuck with the bill for their lack of paying decent wages for those WILLING to work.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:16 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I wonder....Will everyone urging employers to just pay more, be ok with paying the increased prices for goods and services that will be the result? I doubt it.
Speaking for myself, I already deliberately spend my money at places that treat their employees right. Costco, Trader Joe's, for instance. And if a McDonalds in Copenhagen can serve a burger at the same price point as one in Los Angeles, well...

Anyway - my convenience shouldn't come at the cost of someone being on the brink of homelessness and starvation, so...

Old 03-13-2022, 11:18 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
When we shipped vast amounts of those jobs overseas, these people have had to turn to service industry type jobs. The wages in these jobs have been held down and stagnate for years, while the cost of living has risen dramatically. That is why you see so many people either working these jobs and having to have their living costs subsidized (food stamps, Section 8, Medicaid, etc.), or having dependants in order to qualify for benefits.

Meanwhile the companies that employ them have made huge profits. We the tax payer have been stuck with the bill for their lack of paying decent wages for those WILLING to work.
Yep. Our taxes help Wal-Mart meet payroll.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:46 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Are any of these jobs normally performed by immigrants?

Old 03-13-2022, 01:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In my area the labor shortage is so bad that it is affecting operational sustainability.

Where I work we used to get 100-200 apps for ONE position. Now we struggle to get 10, many postings get less than 6 when they're open for a month+ and half are not qualified.

The businesses in my area cannot stay open, the managers & owners are basically doing everything. Some retailers, e.g. the Walgreens near me, simply said they are no longer open evenings or weekends. 8:30-5:30 M-F: it's the manager, one worker and one pharmacist running the whole store.

It appears to be a problem in all sectors but somewhat less acute in IT.

We are now 6+ months out from the "free money" spigots being turned off. Where the hell did everyone go?

Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot doesn't it? I mean what happen to the good old days when you had to send out hundreds of resumes to get one job interview?

By your math, you have 3 qualified candidates to chose from. I don't see a problem.

Why does everything have to be open all the time? Do you like working late at night and Sundays? Why as a consumer can't you make sure you get your shopping done by 7pm on a weekday? Sure, you might have to plan ahead a bit but it can be done.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:04 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
The tight labor market make entry-level workers staggeringly valuable in tech, banking and consulting.

Quote:
Some college seniors who walk across the stage to collect their diplomas this spring will soon strut into six-figure starting salaries at big tech, finance and consulting firms.

Anuhya Tadepalli, a Cornell University economics and management major, has accepted a $110,000 offer [at a bank]...

“It’s crazy to think that a person straight out of college is making that kind of money,” says Ms. Tadepalli, who starts this summer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-gra...22-11646852551

The $110K job above is the same one that started at $85K back in 2016.

Inflation has brought back "salary compression" -- a term I remember from the early 1980s. An NCG in 2022 commands $X, which is more than an NCG from the same university/program/major from 2021 who now has 1 year of experience under her belt.

JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Co and other large employers have salary floors for entry-level, no-experience new college graduates to between $100K and $110K -- and are being outbid by some startups offering more.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:26 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot doesn't it? I mean what happen to the good old days when you had to send out hundreds of resumes to get one job interview?

By your math, you have 3 qualified candidates to chose from. I don't see a problem.

Why does everything have to be open all the time? Do you like working late at night and Sundays? Why as a consumer can't you make sure you get your shopping done by 7pm on a weekday? Sure, you might have to plan ahead a bit but it can be done.
Because I work during the day? Am I supposed to quit MY job so I can go the store?

And those 3 won't take the job because of housing costs. They have to have housing provided by someone - a parent, spouse, etc... to take it.

For one secretary job for example, our hopes rested on one individual and we waited with baited breath if she would take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics