Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM

316 posts, read 691,821 times

Advertisements

I Drive 100 to 200 Miles a day !!!
I'm SCREWED !!!'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,213,117 times
How about $30?

The Bing Blog You read it here first! $1000-a-barrel crude! « (http://stanleybing.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/21/you-read-it-here-first-1000-a-barrel-crude/ - broken link)

Its looking more and more like our civilization will be set back 100 years in just 3-5 years. Hunker down, things are going to get very, very bad.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,694,312 times
Get use to it . It will be $5 by the end of the year. Like the last person said, hunker down. And try to move near your work or work near where you live. We ALL are going to be screwed. Think about what groceries will cost when trucks requiring $10/gal or more for diesel fuel to deliver food to the supermarket.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM

692 posts, read 3,136,982 times
I mentioned get ready for $10 a gallon gas in an earlier post, but it went over the heads of readers.
This comming rise may not come in a straight line, but think about what is happening world wide.
On top of the fact we are the currently the largest users of oil, we now have China and India etc. with their straws into the finite pool of remaining oil, sucking out their share which by the way will be increasing in volume at an alarming rate as we go forward. China is gearing up to mass produce cars.
How is OPEC going to decide who to sell their remaining oil too??
Price .. is what will enevitably dictate who gets what unless there is military action to secure it.
Mr Bush just got turned down by our GOOD FRIENDS????? the Saudis in his request to please ....pretty please.... pump us more oil.
They claim there is enough supply but what if the truth were they can't pump much more and are afraid to fess up. Ever heard of "Peak Oil"??
Read Matt Simons book ....Twilite in the desert.
Hear we are pumping oil at this price into the US reserve, and now stopping to see if that will stop this price insanity. What a bunch of idiots we have running the show.
Even though we desperatly need to drill in anwar in alaska to add to our domestic production, and a good case can be made to do this and soon, I think it might be better to go ahead and drill and cap those resources as another very large reserve that could save us if we really get into trouble down the road. That inplace of paying these ridiculous prices to fill our exsisting reserve. Only problem is... the alaska oil would not be avialable for quite a while. Get my point?

This is not just a "Blip" that is going away in a month or so. This is a seachange in energy costs, and if you are smart you will start getting your future plans together as to how you will cope in a changed world.
We will no longer have the upper hand in this arena.
We have had since 1973/4 to get an effective energy policy in place in this country, but have allow the prime opportunities to flitter away while we keep thinking it will never end.
Many will be just standing there when the music stops.

Personally I am looking for new technologies to help soften the blow.
I see where Honda is releasing their first Honda Accord with Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology for mass production in the news today. Very interesting first concept.

Silverfox

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,435,662 times
Well, this is kind of depressing and what's more depressing is most of my oil stock was sold off.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 PM

37,318 posts, read 61,132,370 times
We have gone through rationing before.

We may do it once again.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We may do it once again.
Some people will feel entitled to more because they live in the sticks, commute further, etc.

How will rationing be maintained? You already have people poking holes in gas tanks for what is still cheap gas. You might have people stealing, shooting, looting for others' ration coupons.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,918,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Get use to it . It will be $5 by the end of the year. Like the last person said, hunker down. And try to move near your work or work near where you live. We ALL are going to be screwed. Think about what groceries will cost when trucks requiring $10/gal or more for diesel fuel to deliver food to the supermarket.
The cost of goods is the problem. I could force myself to walk to the supermarket (might even do me some good) but how much will I be able to afford once I get there?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,855,638 times
I told myself I'd buy a motorcycle if gas got up to $5 a gallon. With oil prices sky rocketing like they did today, I might be in the market pretty soon.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We may do it once again.
It happened in WWII and twice in the 1970's... I still got a book full of WWII ration coupons and my car has an "A" ration sticker on the window...

Last time I was in Europe I was already paying close to $9 gallon... so $10 is close to what some are already paying...

I would rather let the free market dictate price as opposed to waiting hours in line to buy 10 gallons of gas on odd or even days...

Here's a WWII era poster from Uncle Sam... makes one think there really are few things new under the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Is $ 15  Gasoline And Rationing Possible???-463-lt5sec21-bw-rs.standalone.prod_affiliate.38.jpg  

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-21-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics