Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 01:18 PM

676 posts, read 720,468 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I need to replace my windows with hurricane/impact windows. I recently moved to florida and the windows on my lanai are in desperate need of replacement.

So I called a few companies. I got basically the same quote. 18,000. I was down right shocked. This is for only one room. I had a hard time containing my shock.

So I decided to put off doing this in hopes of the prices coming down in the future. Of course the sales people all said prices will continue to rise. So that means windows will cost as much as the house itself?

Your opinions please. I know no one can predict what our future holds, but based on your educated knowledge, will prices come down? Is it wise to wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 01:22 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It's a good question, OP, but you might get better responses by posting it on the Florida forum.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:22 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Where in Florida are you? This sounds like it might be a state local issue. We looked at doing it last year and we were quoted about 5k for the whole house. Looking online it looks to be about the same.

Though since you mention that its for a lanai ( I had to look up that term) and you probably have bigger windows for it, that might explain it.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:32 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Hi all. I need to replace my windows with hurricane/impact windows. I recently moved to florida and the windows on my lanai are in desperate need of replacement.

So I called a few companies. I got basically the same quote. 18,000. I was down right shocked. This is for only one room. I had a hard time containing my shock.

So I decided to put off doing this in hopes of the prices coming down in the future. Of course the sales people all said prices will continue to rise. So that means windows will cost as much as the house itself?

Your opinions please. I know no one can predict what our future holds, but based on your educated knowledge, will prices come down? Is it wise to wait?

Were these impact windows? Are you within one mile of the coast? What county are you in?

Old 04-02-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a good question, OP, but you might get better responses by posting it on the Florida forum.
I thought this would be a better place since my question is about the current inflation.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Were these impact windows? Are you within one mile of the coast? What county are you in?
I am not within one mile of the coast. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. I just needed to wait for financial reasons. I know just maybe 6 months ago prices for these windows weren’t like this. My friends were telling me I’d better try to do it soon because prices were rising. One friend did her entire condo for 18,000 just a year ago.

Another friend on our building board got quotes from different companies and gave us a printout. It was like 13,000 for all the windows in my condo. Now I realize I should have tried to do it then but who imagined how much it would go up. Like I said I was in shock

I did get 3 estimates. All basically the same. The salesmen say it’s because of how hard it is to get the materials. So my thinking is if I wait things would resolve.

I was just looking for opinions if my thinking is in line of what will eventually happen based on the current problem of supply and demand.

Thanks for your replies. I’ll just hope for the best.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:10 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:

Windows are expensive but no way, no how should one room cost $18k. Look into other types of windows and shop around.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:17 PM

603 posts, read 445,015 times
I agree to shopping around a bit more but also ask how soon they can be installed. I've heard that there is a huge backlog on windows. One friend of mine had to wait 8 months.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Surely every Floridian can't afford those windows. I would talk to neighbors. Ask them what they do.

I think I'd rather store up some sheets of plywood, and tack then over regular windows as needed. I mean... yikes. The alternative is $1800 for just one room? That's insane. Who can really afford that?

Old 04-03-2022, 07:24 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
I am not within one mile of the coast. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. I just needed to wait for financial reasons. I know just maybe 6 months ago prices for these windows weren’t like this. My friends were telling me I’d better try to do it soon because prices were rising. One friend did her entire condo for 18,000 just a year ago.

Another friend on our building board got quotes from different companies and gave us a printout. It was like 13,000 for all the windows in my condo. Now I realize I should have tried to do it then but who imagined how much it would go up. Like I said I was in shock

I did get 3 estimates. All basically the same. The salesmen say it’s because of how hard it is to get the materials. So my thinking is if I wait things would resolve.

I was just looking for opinions if my thinking is in line of what will eventually happen based on the current problem of supply and demand.

Thanks for your replies. I’ll just hope for the best.

I had to look it up, that's a lot of windows, plus it's special glass. I also think you should make a thread in the Florida section to get an idea of what everyone else pays. It won't hurt.

Do not do it now. Wait a few years unless you can't, then you really need to jump ASAP.

Everything went up because production went down with COVID. Factories that were making things retooled their lines to do other things, stopped making what they originally made. Now some do not want to go back to what they were doing before COVID.

I'm curious what the price was before COVID and how much under $13k was it?

It may be cheaper to get rid of the lanai lol If so, you really have to decide if you can do without it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida