Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 12:02 PM

308 posts, read 211,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If that is for one person, that is simply ridiculous. I shop at Publix routinely, but I usually just buy the produce that is on sale as they rotate their sales items every 2-3 weeks. For example, Fresh Express salad kits are normally $4.59 - $5.15 each, but I only buy them during the weeks when they're on a BOGO sale. Similarly, each week Publix usually puts a different apple variety on sale, and since I like most varieties, I'll buy 7-8 of whichever variety is on sale that week.

If you're looking to save money on groceries and you have Amazon Prime, you should consider Amazon Fresh. Not only are they cheaper than Publix, but your groceries will be delivered to you with no extra mark-up (unlike Publix & Instacart).
Will they deliver fresh produce?..deli meats?
That's where the bulk of my expenditures goes...
i've been saving the receipts lately just to see why I'm spending so much....

Examples: 1 Lb. of Boarshead pastrami seasoned turkey breast....$13.77(is $12.99...as usual the clerks are taught to oversell a bit by saying "Oops! I went a little bit over;"and me being a nice guy just say"no problem".
1 Lb. of Boarshead Chipotle seasoned chicken Breast......$13.43(Same as above,but will freeze for next week)
1.78 Lb. bag of cherries @ $5.99/Lb.(On sale)...$10.66
2.87 Lbs. of Cosmic Crisp Apples(5 fruits) @ $2.99/Lb.(O/S$8.58
1 5Lb. bag of organic pink grapefruit(8 fruits).........$4.99
1 32Oz. Publix Extra Virgin Olive Oil.......................$8.99(will last over a month_
1 head of red cabbage......................$2,94
1 Pt. of Strawberries(On Sale)............$2.50
1.6 Lbs. of OrganicBosc Pears(5 fruits)...........$4.78
1 Qt. bottle of Organic Beet Juice........$7.29
2 Bags of Haas Mini Avocados(12 fruits)..........$13.98(Will last me til next week)

I'm not going to list the entire receipt here,but there were another 30 lines there ;mostly fruit and veggies.

Also,the thought of someone picking my produce for me turns me off immediately...and with fresh meat???...Naaahh.

I already shop at Walmart for some stuff and bulk up(Yes.much much cheaper on some items)...usually once a month when I go pick up my medications. Maybe I should fight the inertia and try Aldis's. or go to Walmart more often(I hate the crowds at my Walmart in Doral....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 12:15 PM

10,100 posts, read 1,022,663 times
I shop at Walmart
I use coupons
I take advantage of sales
I look for the cheapest gas station

My husband and I are both retired - on SS - fixed income.

But every week the prices increase.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:51 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I like your other suggestions, but I don't find Amazon Fresh to be much of a deal after comparing a couple dozen items that I purchase regularly.
Well, perhaps it depends where you live. My suggestion was specific to the other poster because he and I both live in the same city and I am familiar with the prices here. Amazon Fresh is much cheaper than Publix (other than when Publix is having a sale on the item.) That may not be the case with Amazon Fresh & Kroger where you live. To continue my example from above, 11oz bags of Fresh Express salads at Publix are $4.59-$5.15 at Publix when not on sale. Amazon Fresh uses Taylor Farms (which was founded by former Fresh Express CEO Bruce Taylor). Their 12oz bag of garden salad is currently priced at $1.56. That's even cheaper than Publix's BOGO sale for basically the same item.

And to literally compare apples to apples, I just bought some honeycrisp apples yesterday at Publix that were on sale. The regular price was $3.85/lb and the sale price that I paid was $2.49/lb. Amazon Fresh's current regular price for honeycrisp apples is $2.50/lb.

But this will all be a moot issue for me personally because I'm moving to Savannah next month and Amazon Fresh isn't offered there. At least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Will they deliver fresh produce?..deli meats?
That's where the bulk of my expenditures goes...
Yes & yes.

That second yes comes with a bit of a caveat because the deli meats are packaged Diez & Watson products.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:01 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
<snip>Well, perhaps it depends where you live. My suggestion was specific to the other poster because he and I both live in the same city and I am familiar with the prices here. Amazon Fresh is much cheaper than Publix (other than when Publix is having a sale on the item.)<snip>

I did a little research on how the prices stack up at different grocery stores, and I had no idea how expensive Publix is compared to other supermarkets! Kroger isn't the cheapest of the bunch, but it's a bargain by comparison. No wonder the previous poster is freaking out about his weekly grocery bill.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:31 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,266,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I did a little research on how the prices stack up at different grocery stores, and I had no idea how expensive Publix is compared to other supermarkets! Kroger isn't the cheapest of the bunch, but it's a bargain by comparison. No wonder the previous poster is freaking out about his weekly grocery bill.
I don’t know how anyone can afford to do their full shopping at Publix. I see things at Publix that are nearly double the price at Walmart. We use Walmart delivery so no impulse purchases and even Walmart is expensive.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Kroger is cheaper than Walmart.
Who is cheaper than Kroger?
Here in TX,it is HEB,Starbuck coffee,Berber chicken cordon bleu,frozen pizzas.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:48 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
nope. Gas prices barely affects us, although it is noticeable on our rare Prius refills.
We live in a ~90 walk score, urban condo. We drive <70mi/mn, will do major grocery shopping 1/week. Groceries are of course increasing but we will not skimp on fruits and vegetables.
We turned on the last of the IRA's this year, RMD values only, @~3.7% and we increased rental's rent by 3% and another 3% on renewal (6 month notice when has been sent). The rent is below market value, we making a major repair that won't get amortized anytime soon, but we want to keep the renter rather risk a 1 month vacancy and an unknown renter.
YIMV
70 days later, answer is still, No restrictions on purchases because of food or fuel increases. We are just using up the slack between income and expenses. I had planned for inflation increasing in a gradual manner; However inflation has hit rather suddenly.
Retired, 72/75. Annuity and Rental incomes plus reserves.
YIMV.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Not Rving this summer and waiting to see if we winter again down south. Still on the fence on that. Drive only if needed. Staying home. I refuse to play the price game. Can't wait until November. Might splurge on a bottle of bourbon to watch the chit show and watch the liberal meltdown.
Alcohol is a pretty good deal right now. Really no price increase to speak of. I always keep Woodford and Wild Turkey Rare Breed at home.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Kroger is cheaper than Walmart.
Who is cheaper than Kroger?
Here in TX,it is HEB,Starbuck coffee,Berber chicken cordon bleu,frozen pizzas.
For me, it is Trader Joe's, Costco, and local produce stands.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:48 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Examples: 1 Lb. of Boarshead pastrami seasoned turkey breast....$13.77(is $12.99...as usual the clerks are taught to oversell a bit by saying "Oops! I went a little bit over;"and me being a nice guy just say"no problem".
1 Lb. of Boarshead Chipotle seasoned chicken Breast......$13.43(Same as above,but will freeze for next week)
1.78 Lb. bag of cherries @ $5.99/Lb.(On sale)...$10.66
2.87 Lbs. of Cosmic Crisp Apples(5 fruits) @ $2.99/Lb.(O/S$8.58

............)

That's a high priced grocery store. Although, I will concede that your pears, apples, and cherries have been shipped a long distance to get to you.

I suggest that you take a look around some different stores and do some price checking. Publix is probably an attractively decorated store considering their prices, but the food is the same at the warehouse type stores and it all looks exactly the same when you get it home into your own cupboards. Unless money doesn't matter, don't pay a lot extra for fancy decorating when you don't get to take the decorating home with you. The local Safeway, which is a lovely store with great service, charges $1.79 for the exact same can of beans that I can buy for 39 cents elsewhere. The can of beans that costs $1.39 and the can that costs 39 cents both look exactly the same when I bring them home and they both contain exactly the same product.

Walmart does not necessarily sell the cheapest groceries in my area. I buy dairy there, soda pop, frozen potatoes, but not fresh produce or meat. They are open long hours so I go in the off hours and then I don't have the crowds to deal with.

Do you not cook at all? There are a lot cheaper ways to get deli meat for sandwiches. The cheapest way involves cooking, or else eating fairly large quantities that you have to slice yourself. if you can't do that and need to buy sliced deli met, then you are sort of stuck. But I think you can buy the same product for less elsewhere. The stores where I shop have delis and the product is always nice and fresh because they are tremendously busy and product moves through the deli at a fast clip and they aren't charging $14 a pound for anything, not even the roast beef.

Costco sells an excellent sliced ham for sandwiches and the package isn't too big to use it all. They also have excellent deals on sandwich sliced cheese of good brands.

In different areas, it will be a different store with the best prices and whatever you use, there will be a store that will be best for those items even if they aren't the best for things you don't use. So, pick a different store each week and go and take a look around and see how well you could do there.

Also, every store puts their sales flyer online, so I check those every week before I plan my shopping. (except for Winco, where I do most of my shopping, but I carry a list of sales items so I can compare to see if Winco is beating them, which they often do)

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-15-2022 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics