Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 09:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times

Advertisements

Gas has gone down to $4.29 here, that's only about 40 cents more than before the big increases. It's just not a big deal, except for maybe California. where it's closer to $6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 09:46 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
ummmmm no.

Dinner last night was $260. I eat out every night.
I haven't cut grass in 25+ years, I hate it! Best $180 a month I could spend with the lawn guy!
My new car is on order for $162,090
Flying first class to Europe to get it ($8000 per seat)
I always change my own oil.

I buy 80-100 gallons a week of gas.......so its $80-100-125 more than last year?

The house I live in has basically doubled in value in the the last 36 months. Its worth 5X what I paid for it new and I own it outright.
We got artificial turf 5 years ago and it was the best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

Do you just like changing your oil? Seems like an odd savings point for someone tossing as much money around as you are

Old 04-06-2022, 10:02 AM

4,442 posts, read 8,142,495 times
We haven't cut any spending, but we run our household budget with a surplus. We haven't had to buy any beef in quite a while as we bought 1/4 of a cow a few months ago. It included about 43lbs of ground beef. We still buy chicken or pork as needed and we'll buy whatever on sale to store in a chest freezer.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:35 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
......Do you just like changing your oil? Seems like an odd savings point for someone tossing as much money around as you are

I don't know about City Guy, but my son could easily afford mechanics and he does all of the small repairs and maintenance on all five of our cars himself.

Two reasons: he loves machinery and enjoys working with it and he doesn't trust minimum wage high school drop-outs to do the job right, to do what they claim to have done, and to not strip any bolts.

He also does the small engine work and he loves engines so we have a lot of small engine equipment. He also mows the lawn because he bought a super fancy ride-on mower that goes like a race car and will spin around in its own length. He loves riding that thing.

Love of engines doesn't do me much good in the house, but I do have three Roomba vacuums and he does the repairs and maintenance on those to keep them run at peak performance.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:46 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,407,219 times
I don't eat out but that is nothing more than a continuation of what I was doing during Covid. I don't buy steaks and will have ham for easter instead of lamb. These are really not a big deal. I tend to be more careful what I buy and try not to throw anything out. I think this is better than buying in bulk and eating Costco steaks that are frost burnt and a year old.

I don't drive as much because of stay from home. So I let my Kroger gas points pile up for a month until have sometimes like $2 a gallon off. The advertise up to one dollar but I have found they don't limit it. Maybe it's because I use my Kroger card. No idea but if it changes I will find better deals on other cards.

Sometimes Kroger's is slow to lower prices so I check on gas buddy and when I have points and they aren't gouging I take 5 gallon buckets and fill them. You can get 35 gallons at one time. I live in the country so it isn't like they are in my living room.

I plan to do longer stays with less frequency at my lake place because it's a long drive and uses gas. I bought a very compact light camper to put in it instead of something bigger. Originally I was going to build a small cabin tiny house type thing. I know how to do it all myself but you really can't do anything and finish it compared to the camper price. The camper also doesn't impact water front taxes as being built upon.

I have abandoned any plans to put an addition on my house that I built last year. Some of this is down to prices but I am simply sick of building right now as well. I have used my Home Depot card to finance and hoard supplies at 0% interest. Maybe they go up or down but now it is a known cost for budget purposes.

I actually save more for my future than before and invest because it looks like the bar has been raised. I am very happy most of my major purchases are behind me now. Good times.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 969,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy997s View Post
ummmmm no.

Dinner last night was $260. I eat out every night.
I haven't cut grass in 25+ years, i hate it! Best $180 a month i could spend with the lawn guy!
My new car is on order for $162,090
flying first class to europe to get it ($8000 per seat)
i always change my own oil.

I buy 80-100 gallons a week of gas.......so its $80-100-125 more than last year?

The house i live in has basically doubled in value in the the last 36 months. Its worth 5x what i paid for it new and i own it outright.

991 > 997

Old 04-06-2022, 02:17 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,155,568 times
The pandemic dramatically changed our lifestyle in that we just don't drive much any longer. It's a BIG week if I put more than twenty miles on the car. As for non-essentials, we're still earning but old enough that our needs are minimal, so inflation hasn't made a tremendous dent in our budget. That being said, we are doing some needed house repairs/improvements, but we set aside the money for those several years ago.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
So far due to inflation and gas prices we've cut:
1. Hulu
2. Landscaping (I gotta get out there and mow/edge myself now).
3. Dinner Out/Date nights every third week instead of every other week.
4. Canceled my 3 day vacation to the SoCal beaches (gas prices in CA).
5. Changed the oil myself on both cars yesterday. We use full synthetic so the money saved was quite a lot as compared to having the techs at Walmart change it.

So what, if anything is on your list?
I didn't do things like your list, but I've cut back at the grocery store. Fresh fruit - I'm not getting as much, and what I do get is on sale. I buy less frozen chicken breasts (a staple in my house). I've cut out some nonessential goodies that aren't good for me, anyway. Buy less at the prepared-meat deli counter. Making more budget meals (with budget items like brown rice, dried beans, etc.). Things like that.

I'm looking for sales at local stores for things that are a great price. There aren't many.

There's not much else to cut. I'm pretty frugal, anyway.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 12,813,893 times
I haven't really cut back since I am somewhat frugal by nature anyways. I continue to buy things I value that may not be considered "frugal" by some such as quality steaks, imported/craft beer, and stuff for my three dogs. I can't cut back on driving much because I don't drive much. My roof needs replacing and I decided to DIY it instead of hiring it out but that's because I am frugal, and it seems like an interesting project.

What I worry about are young families that were just getting by in the past being hit with increasing costs. I would not be surprised to see a massive increase in crime and protests.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:58 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,800,232 times
Less steak, slightly less expensive wine, travel on points instead of out of pocket with cash.

I live below my means anyways and my spending has always been about 2/3 of my take home. My gas spend is like $20 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics