Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,593 posts, read 81,279,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know about City Guy, but my son could easily afford mechanics and he does all of the small repairs and maintenance on all five of our cars himself.

Two reasons: he loves machinery and enjoys working with it and he doesn't trust minimum wage high school drop-outs to do the job right, to do what they claim to have done, and to not strip any bolts.

He also does the small engine work and he loves engines so we have a lot of small engine equipment. He also mows the lawn because he bought a super fancy ride-on mower that goes like a race car and will spin around in its own length. He loves riding that thing.

Love of engines doesn't do me much good in the house, but I do have three Roomba vacuums and he does the repairs and maintenance on those to keep them run at peak performance.
I take the newer car and truck in to get the oil changed and any other maintenance or repairs, but I still find it fun to change oil, do tune-ups and a lot of other work on a classic car. Currently I have a Nova, just put in a nice stereo, have a new carburetor on order, and on the list are a tune-up, new shocks, new tires, new windshield washer pump, and a few other things. I also have a lot of small engine equipment and do the work on them for fun, in fact I bough an older riding mower for $50 because it wouldn't run, and I had it fixed in about 20 minutes. I've replaced the carburetor on my rototiller, and have done the regular maintenance on my outboard motor, chipper-shredded, pressure washer and chain saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 06:22 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
So far due to inflation and gas prices we've cut:
1. Hulu
2. Landscaping (I gotta get out there and mow/edge myself now).
3. Dinner Out/Date nights every third week instead of every other week.
4. Canceled my 3 day vacation to the SoCal beaches (gas prices in CA).
5. Changed the oil myself on both cars yesterday. We use full synthetic so the money saved was quite a lot as compared to having the techs at Walmart change it.

So what, if anything is on your list?
I have not really cut anything. I just retired, but have been working remote for 2 years so I use probably half the gas I used to. I don’t eat out much anyway, and really don’t spend much on food compared to a lot of people. I’ve been changing the oil in my car for a couple of years so no change there. I’ve always cut my own grass.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:17 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
I cut buying gas las and got a EV last year. So now i pay $6 a month to charge vs over $120 a month for the gas sucking 2021 Camaro i had that got 8mpg in the city kitty. So the saved money goes to food that has gone up 10 times in the last 1.5 years. Anyway ya cut it your gonna lose thanks to joe.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:57 PM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I cut buying gas las and got a EV last year. So now i pay $6 a month to charge vs over $120 a month for the gas sucking 2021 Camaro i had that got 8mpg in the city kitty. So the saved money goes to food that has gone up 10 times in the last 1.5 years. Anyway ya cut it your gonna lose thanks to joe.
What kind of EV did you get? What was the cost difference between the Camaro? How much more are you paying in insurance and property tax? How long to break even on those costs on the gas savings?

Old 04-09-2022, 11:57 PM

7,633 posts, read 3,278,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyeverbodywants View Post
How much did you save on the DIY oil change?

I save $0 because I have a "Lifetime Oil Change" on my vehicle. I am going to drive this 13 year old car another 13 years .

Old 04-10-2022, 12:05 AM

993 posts, read 547,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyeverbodywants View Post
how much did ysu save on the diy oil change?
$70.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:06 AM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
What kind of EV did you get? What was the cost difference between the Camaro? How much more are you paying in insurance and property tax? How long to break even on those costs on the gas savings?
I buy a car 3 to 5 time a year so none of that matters. It was a Bolt and was cheaper than the Camaro. I don't pay any prop tax on a car in FL. Ins is about the same. Once gas goes over $3.20 a gal pal prem I STOP BUYING GAS. I will never go back to gas unless prem is sub $2.80 a gal pal and stays there for 3 years and i will buy a C8 Vette brette.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:25 AM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I buy a car 3 to 5 time a year so none of that matters. It was a Bolt and was cheaper than the Camaro. I don't pay any prop tax on a car in FL. Ins is about the same. Once gas goes over $3.20 a gal pal prem I STOP BUYING GAS. I will never go back to gas unless prem is sub $2.80 a gal pal and stays there for 3 years and i will buy a C8 Vette brette.
You buy a car 3-5 times a year? That's a lot of sales tax and you DMV costs to register each vehicle.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
is he a car dealer,if so,he does not have to pay sales tax.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:49 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,612,045 times
The key has been increasing income for us. After a miserable 2020, most of my wife's store's competition closed up shop permanently. We moved the store to a half sized suite and hung on. Now in 2022 7 of her nearest 10 competitors have closed up shop and she's raising prices along with everyone else on returning volumes. I also took a new job this year. The market here is so much better than it was in 2020. If you're worth some salt and been listening to some manager gripe over handing over 3% for years, put a toe in the marketplace. The place I left was worried sick that they'd have to give everyone a $4/hour raise just to keep them.

Where I didn't go for more money was from my rental properties. All of my tenants are great. I want it to stay that way. Remember, if you're renting, especially from an individual....taking steps to not be a pain is going to be remembered....not always rewarded, but many do.

On the cost front, I'm looking to get solar panels for the homes. Inflation is going to be with us for a bit and it's only a matter of time before high energy costs spill over into utility bills. I did go EV in 2020, so I'm not feeling the bite of gas prices, but I charge at home and my electricity did rise about $100/month. At one of our rentals, we just replaced the refrigerator. It wasn't dead yet, but it was old and it was an electricity suck for the renters. Similarly we also upgraded windows and doors and I'll likely wrap the pipes from the garage stored water heater (CA thing) so I don't lose as much heat on the transfer. Also on the energy front, while laughed at, Obama wasn't wrong about maintaining correct tire pressure on vehicles and keeping them well maintained. Clean them out as well, don't haul a bunch of junk around....that's just dead weight you're hauling.

Financially, this past summer we refinanced everything at what may well be the best time in my lifetime. That interest rate difference may seem small, but it matters a lot. While I've shifted my stock portfolio, I've stayed invested, and continued to get the free match when available. Nothing says instant win like free money. I was happy to be able to (illegal as I'm not supposed to) show some of the factory workers that if they invest, they not only get the match, but they get money back from the savers credit at the end of the year.

On the essentials, it's still all about shopping the sales. When Tide's on sale, buy enough to....tide you over until the next sale. I actively look for value substitution when shopping....even if I perhaps no longer need to. It drives my wife nuts, but it's just ingrained at this point. The one major thing developed over the years is when I want to buy something, i need to research it myself, to know what's good. The other thing is I need to understand how the companies make money....that allows me to distinguish what's a good and bad deal...and do bid out big projects and learn from them all.

Now a lot of those things are examples of spending money effectively to make money in the long haul. Of course, you need money to do that. More importantly, you need to know how to put that money to work for you and not let it be wasted. We're all busy, but those side hustles, so long as they don't overly fatigue, become steps to moving forward faster. To being able to take advantage of those first sales....and build into being able to make your home safer and more efficient.

I do remember the days when there was none left for me. You keep taking your ministeps forward. You keep fighting the good fight and you will get there. The dorm I stayed in at college was the cheapest one available. I keep in contact with a lot of those people. We made it. We really all did...some bigger than others, but we all got free.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics