Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times

Advertisements

We have saved so much in the last couple of years working from home, plus raises, that it's not as big deal as for many. In fact, last week we bought some fresh Copper River Salmon, for $49/lb. which we have never considered affordable before, even last year when it was only $34. After grilling it, I can say that it was worth the expense, but once a year is my limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 06:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
I have a $40 coupon from Omaha Steak,if your order is $159 or more,expiration 6 /12/2022.
I was going to buy assorted fish filet from them,but decided against it as I have too many salmon in my freezer,
Anyone who wants it,PM me.
how is the copper salmon different from farm raised ones?

Old 06-10-2022, 06:59 AM

938 posts, read 425,443 times
Not Rving this summer and waiting to see if we winter again down south. Still on the fence on that. Drive only if needed. Staying home. I refuse to play the price game. Can't wait until November. Might splurge on a bottle of bourbon to watch the chit show and watch the liberal meltdown.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have a $40 coupon from Omaha Steak,if your order is $159 or more,expiration 6 /12/2022.
I was going to buy assorted fish filet from them,but decided against it as I have too many salmon in my freezer,
Anyone who wants it,PM me.
how is the copper salmon different from farm raised ones?
Night and day. Farm raised is good, don't get me wrong, but when you taste wild salmon with the darker pink meat it's a giant step up. The Copper River Salmon is a rich red meat, with a lot more flavor, succulent and buttery texture and the highest amount of omega-3 fatty acids compared to the others. For the best eating it has to be fresh, so it's flown here to the Seattle area from Alaska daily this time of year, but that costs a lot of money, plus there is a limited supply available.
Attached Thumbnails
Have You Cut Non Essentials Out of Your Budget Due to Inflation/High Gas Prices-copper-r.jpg  

Old 06-10-2022, 08:07 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,958,817 times
I wouldn't say we've cut things out, but we're always looking for ways to save a little here and there. With inflation rocketing and a recession on the horizon we're just more aware of what we spend money one.

For example our dog has prescription food thats $110 for 24lbs. We realized a similar prescription food is $105 for 27.5lbs and we can get a manufacture coupon for $5 just by going on the website and asking for it.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but find 4-5 things like that and save $50 a month and it's $600 a year after taxes or like earning an extra $1,000 a year on a paycheck.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:40 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times
The number one thing I've heard is travel. People got some of it around during Covid, but international travel is still dicey and domestic travel is ridiculously expensive now with gas, flight prices, and lodging compared to 2019. There's some rebound travel still going on due to the wedding backlog etc, but the travel for fun group seems to have been cut the most from what I've seen.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:46 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I wouldn't say we've cut things out, but we're always looking for ways to save a little here and there. With inflation rocketing and a recession on the horizon we're just more aware of what we spend money one.

For example our dog has prescription food thats $110 for 24lbs. We realized a similar prescription food is $105 for 27.5lbs and we can get a manufacture coupon for $5 just by going on the website and asking for it.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but find 4-5 things like that and save $50 a month and it's $600 a year after taxes or like earning an extra $1,000 a year on a paycheck.
It has taken me a long time to teach my husband that all the small stuff adds up quick!

Because we live rural, just last month I sat down with him and calculated the cost to "just run to town to pick something up", and he was a bit surprised.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2022, 09:28 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,802,765 times
cut eating out quite drastically. Also, watching my driving habits much more closely so I consolidate trips like grocery shopping and other errands - making sure I do multiple things within the same trip. Previously I wouldn't care as much and would just get in my car and go someplace whenever.

Also cancelled some local trips - was going to see a friend in LA and hotel prices there are $200-250/night for budget hotels, it is just totally absurd. No thanks.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:59 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,927,283 times
We were going to drive to SLC to see a friend in from Hawaii...... but it would cost SO much money to visit a couple days, I know I'll end up cancelling. THAT makes me sad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2022, 12:56 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We were going to drive to SLC to see a friend in from Hawaii...... but it would cost SO much money to visit a couple days, I know I'll end up cancelling. THAT makes me sad.
That's sad! We had a few funerals lately that turned into mini-reunions (I guess that's what they are at this age, lol) and I would have liked to attended to catch up with relatives I haven't seen for ages, but we didn't even consider it. Cost as much, or more to fly to Dallas/San Diego than to Europe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics