Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 03:38 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times

Advertisements

Not so much due to inflation, but I’ve recently switched to primarily cash-only spending for all discretionary and food purchases. Basically, every cost associated with living (mortgage, utilities, internet, phone) are automated, and I take out cash for groceries and other miscellaneous.

The act of using cash instead of thoughtlessly swiping a card has lead to reduced spending of about $300 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 03:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's sad! We had a few funerals lately that turned into mini-reunions (I guess that's what they are at this age, lol) and I would have liked to attended to catch up with relatives I haven't seen for ages, but we didn't even consider it. Cost as much, or more to fly to Dallas/San Diego than to Europe!
Might try flying to Tijuana instead of San Diego - flights can be less than half the cost if going to central or south america. They have an entrance on the US side of the border - costs about $20 per use more but quicker than dealing with customs at SAN or the regular border. I was looking at a RT flight to Cancun - from SAN was $2400 for 2 people, from TIJ it was about $600 including $80 for 2 RT at CBX (Cross Border Express) - https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/

Old 06-10-2022, 04:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Cancelled a trip to DC and not going out to bars, minus the occasional happy hour.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:03 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,501 times
I was thinking if going on a road trip earlier this year. I probably won't anymore.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I dont have to worry about money,Houston is such A BORING Town,I have to go to a supermarket to watch a Tango performance,how pathetic

Old 06-10-2022, 09:49 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It has taken me a long time to teach my husband that all the small stuff adds up quick!

Because we live rural, just last month I sat down with him and calculated the cost to "just run to town to pick something up", and he was a bit surprised.
I have to deal with this too. Running into ton just to eat something can get really expensive these days.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Pretty much no eating out and Starbucks anymore. I still do patronize the local pizzeria and coffee shop on occasion but that's about it. Want to keep them in business.

Far less driving on the weekends.

Grand vacation plans this summer has been scaled back to a day trip to the beach and maybe a weekend somewhere not too far away.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:55 PM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
My "ganzingus pins" are LP records,blu-rays,etc. ...physical media.
So far in 2022 I've been kind of disciplined and limited my purchases...Up until last week.

I could not resist a gigantic,rather expensive Box Set from BLONDIE(one of my all-time favorite groups).
It comes out in August,and I pre-ordered the limited edition platinum blonde colored vinyl version.

Meanwhile,my auto insurance company kept raising my premium. After 18 years,I decided to research and
I switched providers...Saved myself almost $600 a year for the same coverage...so I don't feel so guilty about spending for the Box Set.

In the meantime.I just had a $52 gas fill-up(It used to be $40)..but that will last me until the middle of July. I cancelled Neflix and a digital subscription to The Miami Herald($35 total)...but food has really hit hard.
Today I spent $172 at Publix...just edibles lots of fruit,vegies and some deli meats. Last week it was $138
I eat too healthy..or too much...though some items will last me a month or more.

I feel so bad for the people who are having problems buying quality food,meeting rent in Miami after criminal increases(I will be one of them soon),or getting homeowner's insurance that won't be almost as much as the mortgage payment.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:10 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Today I spent $172 at Publix...just edibles lots of fruit,vegies and some deli meats. Last week it was $138
I eat too healthy..or too much...though some items will last me a month or more.
If that is for one person, that is simply ridiculous. I shop at Publix routinely, but I usually just buy the produce that is on sale as they rotate their sales items every 2-3 weeks. For example, Fresh Express salad kits are normally $4.59 - $5.15 each, but I only buy them during the weeks when they're on a BOGO sale. Similarly, each week Publix usually puts a different apple variety on sale, and since I like most varieties, I'll buy 7-8 of whichever variety is on sale that week.

If you're looking to save money on groceries and you have Amazon Prime, you should consider Amazon Fresh. Not only are they cheaper than Publix, but your groceries will be delivered to you with no extra mark-up (unlike Publix & Instacart).

Old 06-12-2022, 10:41 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If that is for one person, that is simply ridiculous. I shop at Publix routinely, but I usually just buy the produce that is on sale as they rotate their sales items every 2-3 weeks. For example, Fresh Express salad kits are normally $4.59 - $5.15 each, but I only buy them during the weeks when they're on a BOGO sale. Similarly, each week Publix usually puts a different apple variety on sale, and since I like most varieties, I'll buy 7-8 of whichever variety is on sale that week.

If you're looking to save money on groceries and you have Amazon Prime, you should consider Amazon Fresh. Not only are they cheaper than Publix, but your groceries will be delivered to you with no extra mark-up (unlike Publix & Instacart).
I like your other suggestions, but I don't find Amazon Fresh to be much of a deal after comparing a couple dozen items that I purchase regularly. I find my best grocery prices by using a shopper's card at my supermarket, a Kroger's affiliate (for those who can access one), shopping for sale items as you do, and making good use of any coupons available to me. Right now, I have a stack of coupons that were direct mailed based on my purchasing habits worth about $25. When I compared prices with Amazon Fresh, my Kroger's affiliate is a far better choice. Add in the gas discount, which was $.80/gallon when I filled up yesterday, and it isn't even close.

Just wanted to offer encouragement to look for discounts locally because they can be substantial. I do have Amazon Prime, mostly for the streaming service, but using the Fresh service is not as good a deal as my regular supermarket if I spend just a little bit of time planning my shopping trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics