Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:24 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times

Advertisements

I efiled my 2019 Federal Tax 1044 when due last year. The IRS recieved it, and I can pull the transcript from their website. However, the status shows as "return not processed." I realize that the IRS is delayed processing paper returns, but this was an electronic filing and it has been over six months since they officially accepted it.

There have been no letters concerning my 2019 tax return. I have no outstanding issues from previous years. My online account shows the IRS did not send me any messages. I have been checking regularly online since July 2020. I have called their 800 number on and off for months. I only get an automated response that says "Due to unusually high call volumes, we are unable to handle your call at this time. Please call back on another business day."

I wondered if I could make an appointment at a local IRS office, but the IRS requires customers to phone first. The local number has an automated response that simply refers the caller back to the IRS website and the standard 800 number in order to make an appointment. I also tried contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS. It cycled me back to the same IRS 800 number.

I have started work on my 2020 taxes, but since I designated my 2019 refund was to be used for 2020 estimated tax, and the return was not processed or credited, I am stuck. Now what do I do? Since I expected my refund would be credited against the 2020 tax bill, I only paid a small amount in estimated tax. If it has not been credited, I will owe additional penalties and interest. And so on and on.

I assume that my next step is to write a letter to the IRS and send it certified return receipt requested and keep a copy of that and the receipt. Has that worked for any one else? Online advice tells people to send a letter to the office address that issued the notice. But, there was no notice. If I send a letter, to what office should I address it? Do you have a more effective solution? Thanks for any helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 02:09 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I efiled my 2019 Federal Tax 1044 when due last year. The IRS recieved it, and I can pull the transcript from their website. However, the status shows as "return not processed." I realize that the IRS is delayed processing paper returns, but this was an electronic filing and it has been over six months since they officially accepted it.

There have been no letters concerning my 2019 tax return. I have no outstanding issues from previous years. My online account shows the IRS did not send me any messages. I have been checking regularly online since July 2020. I have called their 800 number on and off for months. I only get an automated response that says "Due to unusually high call volumes, we are unable to handle your call at this time. Please call back on another business day."

I wondered if I could make an appointment at a local IRS office, but the IRS requires customers to phone first. The local number has an automated response that simply refers the caller back to the IRS website and the standard 800 number in order to make an appointment. I also tried contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS. It cycled me back to the same IRS 800 number.

I have started work on my 2020 taxes, but since I designated my 2019 refund was to be used for 2020 estimated tax, and the return was not processed or credited, I am stuck. Now what do I do? Since I expected my refund would be credited against the 2020 tax bill, I only paid a small amount in estimated tax. If it has not been credited, I will owe additional penalties and interest. And so on and on.

I assume that my next step is to write a letter to the IRS and send it certified return receipt requested and keep a copy of that and the receipt. Has that worked for any one else? Online advice tells people to send a letter to the office address that issued the notice. But, there was no notice. If I send a letter, to what office should I address it? Do you have a more effective solution? Thanks for any helpful advice.
I would try sending the letter to the regional IRS office you would use to file a paper return. It would depend on your state of residence. That address should be available on the IRS website. Include paper copies of any screen shots of the automated notice and your electronic return.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:48 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
I don't see an issue - what you filed for 2019 to be applied to 2020 is what you should use for 2020 unless what you filed was incorrect.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 AM

5,151 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Truth be told, most of us are just not that important. The IRS randomly audits a few of the returns, but beyond a computer matching W-2s with reported income, their efforts and resources are focused on the high-income returns.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:

I don't know if this is helpful advice.

I filed electronically and the IRS confirmed that they received my return.

TWO years later I received a poorly photo-copied letter in a cheap envelope....that had a IRS return address. My wife said, throw it away it is a scam. Both she and I had worked for Federal government and we KNEW that the Federal government would never send such poor quality business mail!!

Well, I was wrong. I called the number and sure enough it was the IRS. They lost my efiled return.

I then sent them THREE more paper copy returns which they ALSO LOST. Interesting each of the requests for a paper copy had DIFFERENT IRS regional centers.

After that adventure. I file a paper copy, SIGNED return receipt requested. No problems since them.

All of this happened during the Obama years. I had several articles published in the conservative press. Several other authors also mentioned that their returns were "lost".

I don't know, but how do you lose FOUR copies of documents that I send to the IRS?? The last two were "lost" after the postal service delivered them to the IRS.

Just go to paper copies of your return and ask for a signed receipt.

AND yes, you will NOT get a stimulus check until you remind them.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:00 AM

I am sorry this happened to you 509. I guess it pays to be paranoid.

Fortunately, my situation turned out better. Although I struck out at the IRS, local IRS, and main Tax Advocate number I WAS called by my state's Tax Advocate a couple days after I filled out a request online. The advocate confirmed that my return was processed, and the refund was credited to my 2020 estimated tax. My online IRS account information still states that my return was not processed and it does not show my refund credit.

For anyone else in a similar situation, you can search for your IRS Tax Advocate at https://www.irsofficesearch.org/irs-...vice-location/

This is for the IRS Tax Advocate office in your state. This is not the same as the Tax Advocate for issues with state taxes. If/when you are called back, be sure to get the Tax Advocate ID # when you take notes.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 865,468 times
Quote:

My wife and I went to file electronically this year and it was rejected because some fraud-ster had already e-filed using my social security number. This was a common issue this year due to all the stimulus payments money floating around. I had to then file on paper with an ID theft affidavit. I owed them money so I wrote the check and mailed it in just after April 1st, certified mail with the return card. The check cleared the treasury 3 weeks later, but the return card didn't come back until July and was stamped July 15th. In the meantime, I've received two letters from them. One signed by Joe Biden saying we we had received max stimulus payments (were weren't eligible for the 3rd round) and another saying we had "messed up our calculations" and would be receiving a refund of over $7,000. Needless to say, we didn't receive that money (nor were we entitled to it), but some fraud-ster did.

At this point, I'm just hoping this is somewhat resolved in time to issue me a pin number for next tax season.

By the way, you can sign up voluntarily for a proof of identity pin number and I highly recommend everyone do it.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:28 AM

Thans for the response. Going round and round with the IRS is always upsetting. As I said above, my State Tax Advocate was very responsive and was able to supply the missing information. I am very sorry to hear that you got swindled by a thief. Your recommendation of getting a PIN is a good one.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:34 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Question UK only link ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypippa View Post
The taxpayer advocate service is an independent organization within the IRS and is your voice at the IRS. They help taxpayers whose problems are causing financial difficulty. If you're looking for a payroll software, at payrollindex.com you can find everything you need. Traditionally, when companies have been looking to upgrade their software, standalone payroll and HR systems have been the preferred choice. It has been the conventional option for these to exist as separate entities, with payroll focusing on monetary tasks and HR concentrating on the full spectrum of processes relating to employees. There are still some benefits that are associated with going down this route. For example, using a standalone system makes it easy for businesses to change the configuration if a company process has changed. Less planning is required when it comes to using a standalone system.
This URL seems to only have info on UK/HMRC solutions.

Is there an equivalent link fo USA/IRS solutions ?

Old 09-29-2021, 07:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Good luck contacting the IRS.

I was going to reply to my own posting!!!.... the IRS has lost my 2020 return!!!!

Did not receive the refund so checked the IRS website for the status of my return. It said that "no return" found.

I do have a signed receipt for the return by the IRS from the postal service. So they lost it after they received it!!

When I could not find a contact phone number I gave up and contacted the local Congresswoman. Her staff has been checking with the IRS for almost two months and no response to her either.

I think the agency needs to be renamed, at the very least they need to drop the SERVICE portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics