Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 08:04 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Old 05-07-2022, 05:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Whose fault is it that college costs are so high? I imagine you can place a lot of the blame on Washington? Here’s one example of costs that didn’t exist when I was a student at a similar university. 156 employees.

Indeed.

Crap like that is intended to give jobs to people who couldn't even hack it as a barista.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Whose fault is it that college costs are so high? I imagine you can place a lot of the blame on Washington? Here’s one example of costs that didn’t exist when I was a student at a similar university. 156 employees.
Purging political and ideological dissidents is expensive.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:03 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Purging political and ideological dissidents is expensive.
Well, like divorce, it’s expensive…but worth it.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:28 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of compassion and all the victim blaming.

I mean, I paid off my loans myself, but my student debt-to-prospective-income ratio was much better. My degree cost a little less than 24k. My first salary job was 44k. Today the same degree from the same school costs over 48k, typical salary for a new graduate ~55k. They're behind. It's double as bad now, and the jobs my degree geared you toward to not pay double what they did when I graduated. It would be easy for me to say "I paid my bill, you pay yours!" but I recognize my bill was half as much for the same product.

I might have a little more anger if societally we told young people they shouldn't go to college as a form of protest or strike against the outrageous costs and unreasonable demands of employers who shirk out of doing their own training.

But we don't. We still frame college as a responsible thing to do. But now we are blaming young people for doing what we told them was what good little boys and girls do. People are acting as if trying to get education is some kind of crime.

Isn't the loan interest now less than it was when you took loans?

Something needs to be done about the price of college, especially when a salary has not gone up enough. That's where people need to do their research to decide if it is worth going to college for that small salary.

The people mostly pushing college for high school graduates are the parents. They want their child to be able to go when they could not.

The fact is that college costs what it costs. The price is not going down any time soon. Are we the tax payers going to start forgiving student loan debt for everyone if Biden decides to do it? It's not fair that people holding loans right now get a break but the next group does not.

The fact is that not everyone should go to college. Too many people are going that should not because they will never be able to make enough money to repay their loans. I didn't go because I couldn't afford it. I went to a trade school.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:11 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
There is no proposal to cancel student loan debt .

The plan is to transfer it to those who don’t owe it

Old 05-08-2022, 08:24 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Only Congress can cancel debt, if it could be done by the executive branch as promised, it would have already been done.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Only Congress can cancel debt, if it could be done by the executive branch as promised, it would have already been done.
I would have thought so, but there are those who assert you get to the same place via an executive order.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
I was speaking to a salesman at a local power sports dealer yesterday. A young 20s year old came in recently looking for an ATV. He told the salesman he is shopping now but doesn't have the money to buy because of his student loan debt. The salesman said the young man told him that he expects that Biden will payoff his student loans soon and then he will have the money to buy. The sales person asked him why he thought his loans should be paid off. The young man said he went to college and he doesn't have a good job so why should he pay? The salesman informed him if the loans get paid off by the government then he, the salesman, would be assuming the young man's debt. The salesman said he told the young man that there are no guarantees in life and perhaps a better plan would be to not be looking at ATVs right now but instead focusing on getting a better job, maybe taking on a second job, and working to eliminate the student loan debt on his own as quickly as possible while he was still living at home.

Proposals to eliminate student debt by government representatives isn't the answer. It is a bad idea and inequitable to the vast majority of the population past, present and future. Right now the pressing theme is increasing the labor participation rate and getting American back to work to open up supply chains and fill critical shortages to combat the inflation that is crippling our nation. If any one area needs to be addressed for government intervention, it is to address the outrageous costs of healthcare. No one should be working a job and not able to afford healthcare for themselves and their family. That is the area that posses the greatest risk to the majority of Americans since the average annual health plan premiums for a family of four was $21,342 in 2020. That represents 31.6% of the Median Household Income 2020 ($67,521). There are additional costs for deductibles, co-pays, etc. The pricing isn't transparent and the consumer has little to no control over the costs. A universal Medicare plan with private supplemental options should be available to all people as a percentage of income. This would help both individuals and employers. It would also get some people off the sidelines who would lose government-provided healthcare if they worked. This issue has been over politicized and behind closed doors most Republicans and Democrats agree that a universal plan makes economic sense. The problem is the strong influence of insurance and pharmaceutical companies.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 06-03-2022 at 05:30 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Proposals to eliminate student debt by government representatives isn't the answer.
It all depends on the problem statement. If the problem statement is, "How can I influence vast numbers of 20-somethings to actually vote this year to hold on to power in the House & the Senate, rather than sit on the sidelines & watch the opposition party take control of Congress?" Well, you might come to a different conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics