Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 10,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The first question is why someone in media has 180k in student loan debt .

Our kids went to local colleges , lived at home and have no debt.

My son went on to a local law school and paid off law school debt in just a few years .

Then he had to buy in to two levels of partnership in his law firm over the years totaling more then half a million dollars and still no more debt .

So spending 180k for not even a professional degree is insane
Is an MBA not considered a professional degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 03:25 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Technically the degree is ..but the job one gets may not be

Old 04-22-2022, 04:10 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Probably lives in California where COL is through the roof and is taxed to hell.. Maybe has a house and family yet can't even afford to pay down student loans.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:35 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Technically the degree is ..but the job one gets may not be
I don’t know how many times I have to repeat this. She apparently went from being a production assistant at ESPN to a media executive after going to get her MBA. Seeing as it seems like she makes at least $300K now, it appears to have actually paid off. Her real issue is that she doesn’t seem to be bothered to actually pay off her loans despite graduating 7 years ago.

Old 04-22-2022, 04:56 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
I am I debt so I go into more debt because I have to pay taxes on what I make. Poor thing- time for a reality check?
Why bother to pay de t that I incurred. It will be wiped out some day. Idiots pay what they owe.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:13 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
We raised three millennials and made it clear we would never take out nor co-sign loans. Two received full rides and one served our country. We helped with food, clothing, rent, etc as needed, but the two who went to university, worked part-time. I’m very proud of them for not following the path so many in their generation took.
Not everyone has parents who can or are willing to subsidize them by paying for their food, clothing, rent, ect.

Not everyone gets full rides.

Not everyone can work in the military and have them pay for their school.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
There best is when parents destroy their retirements sending kids to expensive schools …..

There are loads of ways kids can finance education …there is no loan for retirement the parents can get
There is a K-12 private school in our area that is 30K a year, then it bumps to 33K for high school.

So figure all in you are looking at 400K for K-12 education. The INSANITY is last years graduates included kids that went to community college! They pitch the parents that it is a college prep school, yet it yields mediocre results for 95% of the students.

I know parents choking on the tuition thinking Little Johnny or Sweet Susie are going to get into Harvard on scholarships! Dumb dumb dumb..........

Old 04-22-2022, 05:30 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
We raised three millennials and made it clear we would never take out nor co-sign loans. Two received full rides and one served our country. We helped with food, clothing, rent, etc as needed, but the two who went to university, worked part-time. I’m very proud of them for not following the path so many in their generation took.
Its math...........you showed them the right way to get educated

Old 04-22-2022, 05:52 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
There is a K-12 private school in our area that is 30K a year, then it bumps to 33K for high school.

So figure all in you are looking at 400K for K-12 education. The INSANITY is last years graduates included kids that went to community college! They pitch the parents that it is a college prep school, yet it yields mediocre results for 95% of the students.

I know parents choking on the tuition thinking Little Johnny or Sweet Susie are going to get into Harvard on scholarships! Dumb dumb dumb..........
My son and daughter in law have both little ones in private school in westchester ..it is over 55k for both ,maybe ,more since it likely went up since these numbers

They put the older one in public school for a year but because he was in a Montessori school since pre school he was so far beyond the class he was bored ..so they put him back in The Montessori school.

They pay 31k in real estate taxes and it is a shame they have them in private school now but the youngest is still to young for public school

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2022 at 06:07 PM..

Old 04-22-2022, 06:07 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbrSS View Post
MBA at Chicago Booth: *Total tuition for the two-year program is $149,838 and includes up to 2200 units of coursework, of which 2000 units are required for graduation. The full tuition cost is charged over six quarterly installments, regardless of whether students accelerate, decelerate, or graduate in fewer than six quarters.

Imagine you took 2 full years off your career as an adult and had to take loans for food and housing as well... easy to see where you could end up $200k+

While the number seems high, there's no denying that she's now making huge money to pay it back. When you get an MBA from one of the top 7 schools, you are in an elite group and really have a chance of making the big money... Like they say, you aren't paying for the education, you are paying for the network. ...
Regarding the bold above - I went to Chicago Booth (as did several other posters here on C-D). I can say first hand that the education is phenomenal.

Oh - US News ranks it tied with Wharton @ #1, although back when I went it was #3, I think.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/mba-rankings

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-22-2022 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics