Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-22-2022, 11:10 PM
 
1,655 posts, read 777,385 times
Reputation: 2042

Advertisements

I know it’s probably hard to nail down when talking about such a small sample size but on average what’s the net worth of the top 1% (US) by age 35?

I’m guessing worldwide these people would be top 0.1%, right?

I’m in that age range and my net worth is about ~2.2 million (or so) so I just ask out of curiosity of how close I might be.to this elusive club.

For reference I’m an under the radar person that personally knows only 2 people worth over 2 million — a 65 yr old (extremely thrifty/mutual fund investing) uncle worth ~8 million and a ~48 yr old 2nd cousin worth ~50 million who was a professional baseball player.

And I guess you should count a guy a grade above me in school (small town) that won 30-40 million (after tax) on a scratch off lottery ticket.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 04-22-2022 at 11:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2022, 12:02 AM
 
12,101 posts, read 17,111,249 times
Reputation: 15776
There wouldn't be reliable stats as ... what's yours is hers, and what's hers is yours.

But as for CD Forum personal net worth, 2.2 mil at age 35, doubt you'd even break the 50th percentile...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 06:58 AM
 
865 posts, read 442,129 times
Reputation: 2351
For your age bracket you are easily in the top 1%. Great job!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 08:18 AM
 
26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Reputation: 22772
Comparison is the thief of joy. Percentiles in personal net worth are irrelevant to personal situations and outcomes
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Ohio
24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Reputation: 21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I know it’s probably hard to nail down when talking about such a small sample size but on average what’s the net worth of the top 1% (US) by age 35?
First, it isn't a small sample size.

A small sample size is n < 30 in which case you use t or t-sub-zero. At n >= 30 t and z values converge and are basically the same.

Second, you don't seem to understand the meaning of "net worth."

Net worth is the aggregate theoretical value of real estate, stocks, bearer bonds, non-bearer bonds, art, antiques, collectibles, and other holdings and investments.

At age 25, you gave $1,000 to a college buddy along with 9 other guys and dolls and to start a business and by age 35, that LLC is now valued by other people at $1 Billion.

Your net worth from that alone is $100 Million.

Now, people who spent $1,000 on butt-ugly tattoos are gonna hate you and try take your $100 Million which they think is cash but isn't cash because they are insanely jealous.

But that's the exception. Most of the so-called 1% acquired their wealth over 30-40 years by continually buying and selling real estate, stocks, bearer bonds, non-bearer bonds, art, antiques, collectibles, and other holdings and investments.

There are a handful of people who inherited their wealth, but as studies show, they either squander it or make really bad investments and end up losing most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m guessing worldwide these people would be top 0.1%, right?
Not necessarily. You can pick any arbitrary number you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m in that age range and my net worth is about ~2.2 million (or so) so I just ask out of curiosity of how close I might be.to this elusive club.
There's nothing elusive about it.

There's nothing exclusive about it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
For reference I’m an under the radar person that personally knows only 2 people worth over 2 million — a 65 yr old (extremely thrifty/mutual fund investing) uncle worth ~8 million and a ~48 yr old 2nd cousin worth ~50 million who was a professional baseball player.

And I guess you should count a guy a grade above me in school (small town) that won 30-40 million (after tax) on a scratch off lottery ticket.

Maybe you should get out of your mom's basement once in a while.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 09:45 AM
 
247 posts, read 177,845 times
Reputation: 717
Here is a net worth percentile calculator by age:

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 10:03 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Reputation: 78511
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
.......the net worth of the top 1% (US) by age 35? ..........I’m guessing worldwide these people would be top 0.1%, right?........

Maybe not. There is a heck of a lot of wealth in this world that does not belong to Americans. There are lots of billionaires in China, India, and assorted Arab countries. There are families with massive wealth in Argentina and Mexico. How much is Putin worth? I suspect he is way up there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
Reputation: 8822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
Here is a net worth percentile calculator by age:

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 10:59 AM
 
Location: SF/Mill Valley
8,712 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Reputation: 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I know it’s probably hard to nail down when talking about such a small sample size but on average what’s the net worth of the top 1% (US) by age 35?

I’m guessing worldwide these people would be top 0.1%, right?

I’m in that age range and my net worth is about ~2.2 million (or so) so I just ask out of curiosity of how close I might be.to this elusive club.
You appear to be more concerned how you compare to others as opposed to where you’re headed (and personal goals) long-term. In other words, $2M is decent at the age of 35; but if it’s due to a one-time windfall, it changes the picture entirely (as opposed to, for example, an earned income in the top 1% which, along with a financial plan, guarantees continued growth).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2022, 11:18 AM
 
865 posts, read 442,129 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You appear to be more concerned how you compare to others as opposed to where you’re headed (and personal goals) long-term. In other words, $2M is decent at the age of 35; but if it’s due to a one-time windfall, it changes the picture entirely (as opposed to, for example, an earned income in the top 1% which, along with a financial plan, guarantees continued growth).
Boy that’s making a lot of assumptions about the OP when all they did was ask a simple question. And to say “$2M is decent at age 35” is quite the dismissive understatement. A net worth of over 2 million at age 35 is an outstanding place to be in and quite the accomplishment if it didn’t involve an inheritance.

If they play their cards right they stand to remain in the top 1% as they age and their net worth grows.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top