Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 10:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 6,222,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
eCONnomist are Con Man. That degree is WORTHLESS and those guys are a nothing but a joke. No eCONomist ever seems to be able to explain what is going on today, or tell you what will happen tomorrow. Most of them are just PAID SHILLS working for different industries and who can't predict anything right, from the financial crisis to the recent stock market highs.

Good Luck!

How much is your BP worth? Ask an econoMist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 10:25 AM

19,822 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Quote:
eCONnomist are Con Man. That degree is WORTHLESS and those guys are a nothing but a joke. No eCONomist ever seems to be able to explain what is going on today, or tell you what will happen tomorrow. Most of them are just PAID SHILLS working for different industries and who can't predict anything right, from the financial crisis to the recent stock market highs.

Good Luck!
I'd really love to compare net worths sometime.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:41 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,496,129 times
The nation is becoming too poor to afford so many desk jockeys. Engineering is more practical, but an engineering degree may still cost more than he can earn. Home renovation and repairing old machines with any available parts look more likely to sustain careers.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:03 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,225,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd really love to compare net worths sometime.
Not just net worths but personality as well. As you can see I have no love for the banking industry. Your industry has been stealing money for decades, especially since that fool and lunatic Bernanke decided he would not let companies that fail fail.

I think we need the new model for American banks, a model more close to the Public Utilities. You should be a PUBLIC SERVANT and not someone who brags about his net worth, with money STOLLEN from American Taxpayers.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2022, 11:11 AM

7,861 posts, read 3,857,419 times
How is your son's math aptitude? For a degree in economics, your son will likely take almost as much math as he would if he were an engineering major, although less than if he were a math major. If he were to go on to pursue an advanced degree in economics, he'll need even more math. I mention this based on your comments about balancing his academic workload with a part time job & his athletic pursuit of "college ball." Some people consider mathematics to be a heavy load, but I disagree. It can be, but the real question is your son's aptitude for abstraction. Some people just don't have it, and it doesn't really matter how hard they work at it.

Finance is not dead. Finance will not be replaced by AI in your son's lifetime.

One big question is the time demands of "college ball", and how he could work 15 hrs/week, do "college ball", and still take a normal college academic load. In my mind, a very good scholar/athlete could do "college ball" OR "work 15 hrs/week" and still successfully complete academics - but few can do all three. Add in the non-academic experiences of college, and there just are not enough hours in the day. It doesn't matter if he is an engineering major, an economics major, finance major, accounting major, or even a lit major or gender studies major. Few among us can handle the full academic workload plus work plus "college ball."

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-25-2022 at 11:21 AM..

Old 04-25-2022, 01:01 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:

Good Luck!
This is from a guy that really does not understand economics and economic principles.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
The only economists I know have PHD in economics and they are professors.
Dont know what a B.A in economics can do for a job hunter,I would think it would be more practical to get a B..A in accounting or computer science/
Engineering is probably the better B.S. if you want to land multiple job offers

Old 04-26-2022, 09:14 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,147,550 times
Yes, I have one, just undergrad.

Part of the main backdrop to think against is that many degrees don't really line up to specific day to day job functions. I work in data center colocation, there's basically no degrees that map well to what we do, engineering doesn't even apply much for most workers. So, with this, what employers want is someone who can communicate well, think analytically, and have the discipline to finish harder coursework.

Undergrad econ is a good mesh of communication and analysis. The TEM of STEM is a little too much analysis and not enough communication for roles that aren't purely technical. To me, econ a better version of a business degree. An econ person can get a lot of things a business grad can apply for, but does offer some additional bandwidth for opportunities that business doesn't have, especially with more technical coursework. I had a stats minor and I think that helped quite a bit.

In the end, I'm really glad I got the degree I did because there's so much life knowledge that can be learned from studying the science of decisions. Seeing as I have a job that's decently good, I have a degree that taught me investing, personal finance, behavioral patterns for better decision making... Accounting or mechanical engineering is more just like generic job training, not a lot of life benefit to those studies.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:20 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Pretty much all degrees only touch the surface of what a company does ….an electrical engineering degree is great to have but it is pretty much not going to make you very valuable coming in the door at most companies .

You need to learn our company niche which is not only electrical supplies but designing and building big motor control centers for water pumping facilities and sewage treatment plants .

I retired. But still teach motor controls and variable frequency drives one day a week at the company , training engineers in our business and lines.

Right out of school they can’t do much.

Same with my daughter in law who graduated with an accounting degree ..she got picked up by Ernst young where she specialized in hedge fund accounting .

She got her cpa and was an auditor for a world famous hedge fund manager where ultimately she ran the tax dept .

She recently left them for a hedge fund who offered her a 225k compensation package to run their tax dept

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-26-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-26-2022, 09:26 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Sure it is , this way when one is out of work they understand why.

I don’t see much demand today
If one takes, at one side of the scale, a major in Basketweaving, and at the other end of the scale, a degree like Nursing or Accounting on a CPA track, looking at the applicability to specific employment opportunities after graduating, Econ fits somewhere in the middle. Certainly, it's ahead of Psychology or Communications, at least in the pay you can garner starting out with a BA/BS.

A few of my friends graduated with economics degrees. They're doing fine. One works for a major retailer. Another works for a bank. They've both had (at least superficially) decent career tracks. It qualifies you for generalized entry level corporate jobs. It demonstrates that you have some level of math and analytical abilities.

I can't say that I personally know any economists. But none of the math majors I know are mathematicians. The music major I'm friends with is now a lawyer. The Psychology major isn't a psychologist, but rather works for a major bank, and has done well.

I don't think that a finance degree is going to be obsoleted by AI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics